Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Pop sim and Tethering/Hotspot

Feedback Score

Freedom Pop sim and Tethering/Hotspot

I got the LTE sim and have it in my Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet. Works great. I noticed I can't turn on tethering/hotspot. Does anyone know why that is? Is ATT blocking it cuz I am not using their data service?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I got the LTE sim and have it in my Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet. Works great. I noticed I can't turn on tethering/hotspot. Does anyone know why that is? Is ATT blocking it cuz I am not using their data service?
    The Hotspot app on most modern phones and tablets checks with with the carrier to see if hotspotting is enabled for your service. It is not enabled for Freedompop free service.

Hotspotting is a premium service. Freedompop is not a premium service provider.

IIRC, hotspotting is not allowed on FP free plans. It is on some paid plans.

That said, it does work on FP free plans if you can come up with an alternative to the carrier hotspot app. Try Foxfi. Otherwise, it requires rooting the device and using root third party app like Wifi Tether Router. Settings Database Manager will do it on a LG Phoenix 2 without root. You could try that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Hotspot app on most modern phones and tablets checks with with the carrier to see if hotspotting is enabled for your service. It is not enabled for Freedompop free service.

That said, it does work on FP free plans if you can come up with an alternative to the carrier hotspot app. Try Foxfi. Otherwise, it requires rooting the device and using root third party app like Wifi Tether Router. Settings Database Manager will do it on a LG Phoenix 2 without root. You could try that.
    If your device is running carrier firmware then it will have the carrier hotspot code that does the check. If your device is not running carrier firmware (e.g. overseas device, LineageOS) then it would probably work. For example my Lenovo Tab 4 plus hotspots just fine. My semi-unlocked Verizon e4 does not. I'd be interested to know if it would work on an unbranded e4, though.

Feedback Score

Checked on FoxFi but it is 7.99. Not sure I want to spend the money on something that may or may not work.
    Could not find Settings Database Manager.

Feedback Score
    Checked on FoxFi but it is 7.99. Not sure I want to spend the money on something that may or may not work.
    Could not find Settings Database Manager.
    FoxFi has a free trial version to see if it works. I don't recall how it is crippled - Something like it quits working after a while. The companion product, PDANet, may work for USB tethering when Wifi won't. One of my phones is that way.

Sorry, it is Settings Database Editor. The instructions for a Phoenix 2 are:

Originally Posted by Campero

Install Settings Database Editor from the Play store. Select "System". Scroll to "tether_entitlement_check_state" and click it. If you get a message about no permission, follow the instructions in the message using adb to grant permissions. Change the value to "0". Next, change "tethering_noprovisioning" to "True". Next, switch to "global" and scroll to "tether_dun_required" and change it to "0". Reboot. This should bypass the authentication check when enabling wifi tethering.

The chances of those parameters and values being the same on a Galaxy tablet are slim.

Feedback Score
    FoxFi wifi hotspot as such only works on older versions of Android now.
    PDANet (which now comes with FoxFi) used to only support USB Tether.
    However PDANet has just added support for WifiDirect hotspot on all recent versions of Android on phones which support WifiDirect.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles What I have.

I have two BLU R1 HDs that tether with FP.

I have two ZTE Maven 3s that do not tether with FP. [Branded AT&T]

And of course the data SIM works in a MiFi.

Feedback Score

You won't get tethering through the built-in software by default unless you subscribe for the tethering service from FreedomPop. Some versions of Premier also include the service. I've never had to subscribe to the service since I only use devices that aren't carrier-branded where tethering works just fine. FreedomPop will also not block you for tethering.

I second the entire second paragraph.

Feedback Score
    I am a big fan of the Android app called "WiFi Tether Router" by SNCLabs. Inexpensive and it works on any rooted device that I have installed it on. Does not work on unrooted devices.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If you are rooted and running a custom Rom, tethering might work. Of course it won't work with the official method on a standard Rom because it hooks into the carrier Api.

But as they say, only smart people willing to do their homework can get things for free.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Does your phone have bluetooth tethering ??

Feedback Score
    This is a tablet. Yes it does have bluetooth tethering and I can connect to my laptop via bluetooth but can't share data services.

Feedback Score
    PdaNet+ 5.10 (for Android 4.1 or above) should work with its own new-style full wifi hotspot.
    It replaces the old version-limited FoxFi hotspot.
    There is a free test version.
    http://pdanet.co/install/

"Free edition of PdaNet+ will have timed usage limit, otherwise it is same as full version.
    Sprint and AT&T may not allow you to install our app from Play Store, please install the apk file directly from http://pdanet.co/install or install from the computer side."
    Last edited by comintel; 01-31-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aenews View Post
    You won't get tethering through the built-in software by default unless you subscribe for the tethering service from FreedomPop. Some versions of Premier also include the service. I've never had to subscribe to the service since I only use devices that aren't carrier-branded where tethering works just fine. FreedomPop will also not block you for tethering.

I second the entire second paragraph.
    So are you saying, for example, that tethering using an LTE SIM on the free plan with a SIM free iPhone SE would work? Also can you clarify if ANY paid plan supports tethering or is it only part of additional services?

Thanks,
    Bill

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soetart View Post
    So are you saying, for example, that tethering using an LTE SIM on the free plan with a SIM free iPhone SE would work? Also can you clarify if ANY paid plan supports tethering or is it only part of additional services?

Thanks,
    Bill
    See here - https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...t-tethering%3F

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast