Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What does this mean?

Feedback Score

What does this mean?

I received an email from Amazon about 2 phones I bought in the last 2 years, "Unlocked" but with AMZ ads :

"We wanted to provide you with an important update about your Prime Exclusive Phone.
    Starting February 6, we will begin rolling out an Amazon Offers app update to disable lockscreen offers and ads on Prime Exclusive Phones. This will allow you to more easily use your phone's mobile unlock technology, as well as personalize your lockscreen with a photo or wallpaper.
    When the Amazon Offers app update is available for your Prime Exclusive Phone, you can find it in the “My apps & games” section of the Google Play Store. Downloading this update will disable lockscreen offers and ads on your device. If you have enabled auto-updates in the Google Play Store, your phone will automatically update after you connect it to Wi-Fi.
    Prime Exclusive Phones will still be available at a discount for Prime members and will be available unlocked, giving you the freedom and flexibility to choose the wireless carrier and service that best fit your need
    s. Prime Exclusive Phones will continue to provide access to pre-installed Amazon apps, including the Amazon Widget app."

In a nutshell what does it mean?

TIA

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It means you won't see Amazon offers on your lock screen any more.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    It means you won't see Amazon offers on your lock screen any more.
    I have never minded the lockscreen adds.
    If anything they were interesting----what will we show this guy??

Feedback Score
    I appears that Amazon disabling its ads , did also disable the fingerprints sensor on my G5Plus: cannot use it to enter or to add more fingerprints...

or is it something else?

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    I appears that Amazon disabling its ads , did also disable the fingerprints sensor on my G5Plus: cannot use it to enter or to add more fingerprints...

or is it something else?
    The lock screen adds have been preventing fingerprint unlocking, and there was a security bug in some implementations.

The update is supposed to disable the adds to allow unlocking and close the security hole.

Your issue sound like something else.

Feedback Score

or is it something else?
    No sign of the update, yet.

In the current set up (with ads), I'm not having any problems unlocking my Moto G5 Plus with the fingerprint sensor. Think you have other problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    The lock screen adds have been preventing fingerprint unlocking, and there was a security bug in some implementations.[/I]

That's exactly what is happening when I try to unlock using fingerprint sensor

The update is supposed to disable the adds to allow unlocking and close the security hole.

Are they supposed to send the update or are we to download it... What a mess!

Your issue sound like something else.
    I wasn't aware of the above problem nor of the security bug ... until I read your post.
    So I think my problem is related to what you mentioned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    No sign of the update, yet.

In the current set up (with ads), I'm not having any problems unlocking my Moto G5 Plus with the fingerprint sensor. Think you have other problems.

According to ST Dog it only affects some: "bug in some implementations.".

I will wait another day or 2... if it is not fixed by then, I will get in touch with AMZ since i have mine for less than 1 year, and see if I can get my money back.

Feedback Score
    Still no update on Google Play... 👿

Feedback Score

Still getting amz ads

I am still getting the lock ads from amz

the fingerprint sensor still not working / not responding both when unlocking or adding new fingerprint.

Feedback Score

the fingerprint sensor still not working / not responding both when unlocking or adding new fingerprint.
    The update is through the "Amazon Offers" app in Google Play. Nothing will happen until the update appears in Google Play.

Feedback Score
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...ck-screen-ads/

Seems like the reason for Amazon making this change is...

"In December, Google added a new rule to the Google Play Developer Policy saying, "Unless the exclusive purpose of the app is that of a lock screen, apps may not introduce ads or features that monetize the locked display of a device." The goal of the rule as it is written seems to be not to outright ban all lock-screen ads but to stop apps from misleadingly displaying lock-screen ads without the user's consent. As a user, it would be very hard to identify which app was displaying lock-screen apps, since any game or app would technically be able to take over the lock screen."

Feedback Score

All the apps which use Fingerprint sensor are also disabled... and return in a BOX:

"We didn't recognize your fingerprint. Please try again"

If all the other apps can tell that the fingerprint sign-in sensor was used to be able to return the above box...means that it has to do with the settings somewhere.

PS.
    According to this forum :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4...ght/true#M7900

Safe Moe or Factory reset should take of the problem.

Does anybody know how to do these without wasting too much time looking them up? really appreciated.

Feedback Score

All the apps which use Fingerprint sensor are also disabled... and return in a BOX:

"We didn't recognize your fingerprint. Please try again"

If all the other apps can tell that the fingerprint sign-in sensor was used to be able to return the above box...means that it has to do with the settings somewhere.

PS.
    According to this forum :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4...ght/true#M7900

Safe Mode or Factory reset should take of the problem.

Tried both and failed to restore or to add more fingerprint...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast