Thread: Anyone have experience with Three SIM roaming in Europe?

Feedback Score

Anyone have experience with Three SIM roaming in Europe?

I am in the US and will be travelling to Europe (UK, France, Germany, Swiss, Netherlands, Spain) for 3 months. I am thinking of getting a UK SIM card from Three, does anyone tried it and liked it? I remember reading somewhere that it adds a small extra charge if majority of the activity is done outside of UK, which is likely in my case, but I think they look at over a period of 4 months, which I will be back to the U.S. It seems this won't be an issue right?

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    I am in the US and will be travelling to Europe (UK, France, Germany, Swiss, Netherlands, Spain) for 3 months. I am thinking of getting a UK SIM card from Three, does anyone tried it and liked it? I remember reading somewhere that it adds a small extra charge if majority of the activity is done outside of UK, which is likely in my case, but I think they look at over a period of 4 months, which I will be back to the U.S. It seems this won't be an issue right?
    That is one thing I DON'T recall reading.

Read this thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...?highlight=3UK

Message #22 gives my then suggestion for inexpensive acquisition of SIM and paying into it.
    I have done no research since then and suggest you look around and ebay for an idea if that is still good.

My recollection is that you can use 9GB roaming with the 12GB plan.
    And since you are in UK that would seem to be OK.

There is even an app that look useful:
    http://www.three.co.uk/threeapp

Last message in mentioned thread says £20 for 12GB for 30 days.
    Also you can setup and test before you leave.
    JUST do NOT make USA to USA calls.

Here is newest price guide:
    http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG...ide_291217.pdf
    Last edited by rfranzq; 12-31-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    seiyafan,

Rfranzq pretty much sums up using the Three UK sim card in Europe. I used one with the "£20 for 12Gb" add on when I was in Germany this past Fall. When you're roaming (in the EU/"feel at home" countries) you only get 9Gb of data. I used the sim card only for data in a Moto E dual sim phone that I flashed to Lineage OS as a hotspot. It worked just fine while in Germany. I posted my results in the thread Rfanzq lists above.

Eric

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry this is not entirely responsive, but for the past couple of years I've been happy traveling to Europe (including UK) with a SIM from Ireland's Vodafone Red (w/o ever actually going to Ireland). The rules have changed somewhat since the EU tightened roaming regulations, but I think it still works. After buying the SIM on eBay for about $20, and then loading €20 on the account, I get a generous allotment of data (maybe 5GB - don't recall) and deduct €2 or €3, depending on country, for each day of actual usage.

Feedback Score
    Depending of the actual countries, I found out that is better to use a Vodafone (or Orange, T-Mobile) SIM from the country that you will spend the most time. It will be "roaming" on the same brand network in other countries, usually with less charges.
    You just have to remember to activate the "roaming" option when activating the SIM and leave some "credit" in for the roaming extra charges.
    List of operators:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orks_in_Europe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    That is one thing I DON'T recall reading.
    From the PDF:

To ensure all customers can benefit from Feel At Home in Europe with roaming at no extra cost, we also reserve the right to apply a surcharge in case of abusive use. In order to help us to detect possible abuse of Feel At Home in Europe, we may monitor your usage and presence. We’ll look at the balance of your roaming and domestic (UK) activity over 4 months: if you spend the majority of your time abroad and consume more abroad than at home over the 4 months, we have the right to add a small surcharge to your usage. This surcharge will be capped at 3.27p/min, 1.02p/SMS and 0.50p/MB

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    we have the right to add a small surcharge to your usage. This surcharge will be capped at 3.27p/min, 1.02p/SMS and 0.50p/MB
    They may have the right to do it per the TOS, but mechanically I can't see how they could. The only way we can use Three is to top up a prepaid amount from a third party and add it to their account. They are already reducing the 12 gb to 9.

I will have to dig into this again late this year going into France and Italy, but it is bound to change by then.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is all complicated. The 3 UK plans I see on amazon don't support hotspot on the phone. With hotspot, I could put it on my spare phone, and if I need to call back to the states use my main phone with Wi-Fi calling. And also use the hotspot for my laptop and iPad.

But without an UK CC, I don't know whether I can just use on of their Advanced plans, purchased in the UK, for the 10 day trip.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    This is all complicated. The 3 UK plans I see on amazon don't support hotspot on the phone. With hotspot, I could put it on my spare phone, and if I need to call back to the states use my main phone with Wi-Fi calling. And also use the hotspot for my laptop and iPad.
    You can defeat the hotspot restriction as fv22652 and I did by rooting the phone and using a custom ROM.

EDIT: " I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X". So sorry to hear this. You can afford to buy some cheap Android phone that just works for what you want to do then....

But without an UK CC, I don't know whether I can just use on of their Advanced plans, purchased in the UK, for the 10 day trip.
    Unless something has changed, you must use a UK registered CC for any ThreeUK service. You can use mobiletopup.co.uk or something similar for a couple of bucks.

Feedback Score
    Just to check again before I take the dive. I can buy SIM from their official site (with US credit card) and have it shipped to the US, then activate it while I am in the US and use data when I travel to France, all of this is possible right?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    seiyafan,

I bought my Three sim card on ebay for a couple dollars. Shipping was pretty quick. I activated the sim here in the US without any problems. I
    then used the KwikPay app to purchase add funds to my Three account once it was active.

As someone mentioned above, the hotspot feature is not listed (and may not work) on a standard android or apple phone. I had a moto E that I flashed to Lineage OS (custom ROM) and the hotspot feature worked fine.

It was kind of a lot of work to get the Three sim card to work the way I wanted it to. You might be better off buying a prepaid sim card in the first country you arrive in and use that.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I can buy SIM from their official site (with US credit card) and have it shipped to the US
    I don't think Three will let you use a US credit card. You can get a free SIM from Giffgaff, and probably get that one to work direct from them, but they aren't nearly as generous with data.

As above. Get a SIM from ebay. Establish a MyThree account on their site . Fund the account via third party top up.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    Just to check again before I take the dive. I can buy SIM from their official site (with US credit card) and have it shipped to the US, then activate it while I am in the US and use data when I travel to France, all of this is possible right?
    I think that getting a 3UK is better than trying to get a card or cards when you get to Europe.
    Really. Do you want to spend time and effort getting a SIM when you are in Europe?
    Getting things set up and working before you leave is priceless.

I probably should have read the other thread better.
    Here is another source for a SIM and top ups.
    On the top ups they only charge a 10% fee.
    They also sell SIM cards.
    http://www.uksims.eu/buy-top-up/

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just checked Three UK and they now allow 12Gb when roaming in the EU (was 9Gb earlier). I posted in another thread on the UK Vodafone L35 plan that gives you 20Gb of data. I just ordered some sims on ebay and will test on the next time I'm in Germany.

eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Another update: The Three UK sim now allows tethering in the EU on their pay as you go sim cards with the All in one data plans. I tried here in the US to tether, but it's blocked. I'll be in the EU in March and will confirm if tethering works.

As a sidenote, I can tether with the Three UK sim in my Moto E that is flashed to lineage OS here in the US and in the EU. Native tethering is a better option as that is what most folks would want.

I have done some testing with the Vodafone UK sims, but from what I've found they aren't fully activated until they have been on the UK network. I've set one up but can't receive calls or send a text. I've tried online chat to activate the sim, but it hasn't changed anything. I'll see if it works when I'm in London next month AND if it is fully activated at that point.

Eric