Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for your thoughts on mvno and device carrier

Feedback Score

Question Looking for your thoughts on mvno and device carrier

I am ready to buy a new (to me) device - Samsung S8+. I also am going to switch mvnos - I'm on Ting right now and it looks like there are cheaper options. I'm specifically looking at Mint, Tello, and Red Pocket - as they all seem to be the lower priced options for my needs. (1GB data, 500min talk, 1000 text; greater Washington DC area)

Do you have thoughts on these mvnos or others I should consider? Any thoughts on which carrier's S8 I should get when I buy the device? I don't know much about the different networks - been with Sprint forever until moving to Ting with a Sprint phone.

Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by achoo View Post
    I am ready to buy a new (to me) device - Samsung S8+. I also am going to switch mvnos - I'm on Ting right now and it looks like there are cheaper options. I'm specifically looking at Mint, Tello, and Red Pocket - as they all seem to be the lower priced options for my needs. (1GB data, 500min talk, 1000 text; greater Washington DC area)

Do you have thoughts on these mvnos or others I should consider? Any thoughts on which carrier's S8 I should get when I buy the device? I don't know much about the different networks - been with Sprint forever until moving to Ting with a Sprint phone.

Thanks in advance!
    boom Mobile would love to have your business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesB View Post
    boom Mobile would love to have your business!
    My Sprint-origin S8+ would not work on Puppy at least with the old but never-used Puppy sim I tried.
    Would it work on Boom? Were the old sims obsoleted at one time?
    Have the issues of S8's on mvnos been resolved? In general it seems mvno's will not even discuss them.

I moved it to Tmobile-based Teltik and everything is fine there because it is postpaid equivalent.

To the original poster, branded S8/S8+ models (unless they are sim-locked) now switch to whatever carrier's ROM version applies when you insert a sim from any of the 4 major carriers. This should ideally include all native features. BUT there are some problems with Verizon mvno's sims being treated as equals. Most likely Verizon decided MVNO's are not to have all the native features and therefore have to get the limited "Unlocked" feature set instead. (People expected the "unlocked versions" would be better but this is not necessarily the case as carriers are in a number of cases restricting features, including sometimes wifi calling and lte calling, to phones running their roms and bloatware).

If you have good coverage in your area on Sprint, they have a one-year free offer (online only - no stores)! Otherwise if you like TMobile I would go with Teltik if you can show a business tie so that you get the full carrier feature set. Which branded version to buy should not matter but I would get the one for the carrier you intend to use initially. (Or the "unlocked" unbranded version but this may never have the *full* feature set on any specific carrier except maybe for TMobile). (If you buy the Sprint version and put in on Sprint, Sprint will lock it for 50 days but then will unlock it for use on any carrier).
    Last edited by comintel; 02-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    My Sprint-origin S8+ would not work on Puppy at least with the old but never-used Puppy sim I tried.
    Would it work on Boom? Were the old sims obsoleted at one time?
    Have the issues of S8's on mvnos been resolved? In general it seems mvno's will not even discuss them.

I moved it to Tmobile-based Teltik and everything is fine there because it is postpaid equivalent.

To the original poster, branded S8/S8+ models (unless they are sim-locked) now switch to whatever carrier's ROM version applies when you insert a sim from any of the 4 major carriers. This should ideally include all native features. BUT there are some problems with Verizon mvno's sims being treated as equals. Most likely Verizon decided MVNO's are not to have all the native features and therefore have to get the limited "Unlocked" feature set instead. (People expected the "unlocked versions" would be better but this is not necessarily the case as carriers are in a number of cases restricting features, including sometimes wifi calling and lte calling, to phones running their roms and bloatware).

If you have good coverage in your area on Sprint, they have a one-year free offer (online only - no stores)! Otherwise if you like TMobile I would go with Teltik if you can show a business tie so that you get the full carrier feature set. Which branded version to buy should not matter but I would get the one for the carrier you intend to use initially. (Or the "unlocked" unbranded version but this may never have the *full* feature set on any specific carrier except maybe for TMobile).
    Most sprint sims work on our yellow network and we have the full sprint network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Get a free year of sprint unlimited postpaid. Just pay taxes. Then post again next year to figure out where to go next

https://www.sprint.com/1yearfree

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jb82 View Post
    Get a free year of sprint unlimited postpaid. Just pay taxes. Then post again next year to figure out where to go next

https://www.sprint.com/1yearfree
    This is a great deal, especially since you already know Sprint works for you (I have it on a Nexus 5). However, you will need a number to port from one of the other 3 carriers.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    This is a great deal, especially since you already know Sprint works for you (I have it on a Nexus 5). However, you will need a number to port from one of the other 3 carriers.
    I'm not willing to change my number. (It was with sprint for years and now at Ting)

Feedback Score
    I'm not willing to change my number. (It was with sprint for years and now at Ting)
    You do not have to change it.
    Just get Ting to switch it temporarily to Ting GSM side on a GSM sim and then you can port it into Sprint's offer and reunite it with your phone there.
    You will also have to get the phone's IMEI pushed back to postpaid. Ting will do that for you too if you ask.

Feedback Score
    You do not have to change it.
    Just get Ting to switch it temporarily to Ting GSM side on a GSM sim and then you can port it into Sprint's offer and reunite it with your phone.
    You will also have to get the phone's IMEI pushed back to postpaid. Ting will do that for you too if you ask.
    awesome! This will give me the funds to buy the new to me S8+. Does it matter if I get a Verizon one or a Sprint one?

Feedback Score
    awesome! This will give me the funds to buy the new to me S8+. Does it matter if I get a Verizon one or a Sprint one?
    In theory it does not matter. Besides the Sprint model, the following are all listed as eligible for this offer:

Samsung Galaxy S8 (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
    Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition

Obviously people on Sprint have the most experience with the Sprint version and it gives you Visual VoiceMail, beta LTE Calling, etc.
    Some of these features are not included on the "Special Edition" (aka "Unlocked version").
    These Sprint extras should work on the Verizon version (because it transforms itself to the Sprint feature set when you insert a Sprint SIM). though, but there is limited user confirmation of that. It will at least largely work though and should work in all aspects.

If you are thinking of switching later to Verizon you could get the Verizon version although again that should not matter for use on Verizon either any more.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-07-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Feedback Score

Thanks in advance!
    Twigby is another to look at. If I needed Sprint service for my main phone, I would probably try Red Pocket. I personally have Tello on two backup phones. It works fine and tethering is included. However, ls61 posted recently that Tello UK has ceased service. They are still operating in the US. It is completely unknown for how long.

I would consider porting a long held cell number to Google Voice for $20 and be done with the whole mess that is number porting forever. Do that and you could do the 1 year free Sprint deal. You would still have to get some non-Sprint number to port to the Sprint deal.

My experience is that Sprint works pretty well around DC, inside and outside the Beltway and along the I95 corridor - further out between towns, not so much.

Personally, I would go GSM with Cricket on the AT&T network. It works more better in more places. Cricket is throttled to 8 Mbps. That is plenty fast to do what needs to be done on mobile data.

Feedback Score
    In theory it does not natter. Besides the Sprint model, the following are all listed as eligible for this offer:

Samsung Galaxy S8 (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
    Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition

Obviously people on Sprint have the most experience with the Sprint version and it gives you Visual VoiceMail, beta LTE Calling, etc.
    Some of these features are not included on the "Special Edition" (aka "Unlocked version").
    These Sprint extras should work on the Verizon version (because it transforms itself to the Sprint feature set when you insert a Sprint SIM). though, but there is limited user confirmation of that. It will at least largely work though and should work in all aspects.

If you are thinking of switching later to Verizon you could get the Verizon version although again that should not matter for use on Verizon either any more.
    Good point on switching to Ting GSM to get the Sprint free 1-year deal.

One thought on the phone, would the Verizon version be better with the GSM being carrier unlocked? That is useful for international travel. It could be useful when traveling in the US where Sprint does not work with a temporary GSM plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Good point on switching to Ting GSM to get the Sprint free 1-year deal.

One thought on the phone, would the Verizon version be better with the GSM being carrier unlocked? That is useful for international travel. It could be useful when traveling in the US where Sprint does not work with a temporary GSM plan.
    Well I agree that in general Verizon has better unlock policies and one could factor that in.
    However Sprint's unlock policy is that it will unlock the phone on request for both DSU and for International unlock after 50 days on its service. Sprint did both unblocks for me on my S8+. I am using my Sprint S8+ on TMobile right now. I realize the 50 days wait is ridiculous if you paid for the phone but it is what it is.

Feedback Score
    Well I agree that in general Verizon has better unlock policies and one could factor that in.
    However Sprint's unlock policy is that it will unlock the phone on request for both DSU and for International unlock after 50 days on its service. Sprint did both unblocks for me on my S8+. I am using my Sprint S8+ on TMobile right now. I realize the 50 days wait is ridiculous if you paid for the phone but it is what it is.
    Would it be correct to say that the 50 day carrier unlock only applies to having a Sprint phone on Sprint postpaid service? And, on an MVNO you ain't getting it unlocked ever.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Twigby is another to look at.
    ............ and if the OP is used to Ting voice roaming then Twigby would be the better option.

I personally have Tello on two backup phones. However, ls61 posted recently that Tello UK has ceased service.
    Just to set the record straight it was comintel who posted that Tello UK shut down.

They are still operating in the US. It is completely unknown for how long.
    Tello US is also Sprint CDMA and has pretty competitive rates and plans compared to everyone in the UK competing for subs on GSM, so hopefully that is profitable niche for them.
    I would hate to see them go away.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast