Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the practical different in sms and mms?

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

What's the practical different in sms and mms?

Above. I'm completely ignorant of the the indiodsyncries of these two messaging services, as I just use whatever is on whatever handset I'm using.

I'm further confused by when what and where each can be used, as specified by what an ul2 plan includes in that there seems to be confusion as to what international means includes. I'd like to be able to text you a relative visiting New Zeland, which isn't included in any roaming list. ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    SMS is associated with text messages and MMS is associated with picture/video messages, recorded audio clips and can include text messages. SMS does not use data, but MMS does use data.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    SMS is associated with text messages and MMS is associated with picture/video messages, recorded audio clips and can include text messages. SMS does not use data, but MMS does use data.
    Yeah, got that from the general definition but my older androids seemed to have both of them, while later models only sms,I think.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you don't have a data connection, MMS will not work but SMS does work without data. I think virtually all modern handsets support both SMS and MMS, unless you know of a specific model that does not. Same thing when traveling internationally, but you may pay extra to use those features internationally outside of Canada/Mexico.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    You were a cs tech, can you make sense out of what cricket's saying (screen shot of their plan inclusions)? And I do see both are on my handset, under messaging.

Edit: I guess I understand after going deeper into cricket's explanation. Seems like the small print takes away, what the big print gives.

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1. You can use SMS/MMS/data at no additional charge either in the US to Mexico/Canada or while traveling in either country including sending to the US.

2. Same applies to voice calls in both countries.

Hope that helps, but ask additional questions if you need further clarification. There are many knowledgeable members on this forum who can also help.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime (current), Moto E 2015, Moto X 2013, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X2, Moto Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless (2016 - current), Verizon Wireless (2010 - 2015)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

you may also contact cricket customer care (CCC) and they can answer questions you have as well. sometimes they can give you answers faster than posting on the forum 📲
    A loyal Cricket Wireless customer since 12:04 PM on September 9th, 2016!!

Current plan: the $60 !!! TRULY UNLIMITED !!! Talk, Text and Data plan!! I average a little over 50 gigabytes of data each month but with unlimited data, who's counting?!?!

Ya know, Cricket doesn't ALWAYS limit your download speeds to 8 megabits per second!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphman View Post
    you may also contact cricket customer care (CCC) and they can answer questions you have as well. sometimes they can give you answers faster than posting on the forum 📲
    What in the hell is your signature?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphman View Post
    you may also contact cricket customer care (CCC) and they can answer questions you have as well. sometimes they can give you answers faster than posting on the forum ��
    Yeah,I did that several days ago. The included features listing is what confused me, but then again I only speak/read English.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    SMS is basic texting. Does not use cellular data. MMS is for picture mail, sound files and group messages. It can only be sent over cellular data even if you are connected to wifi.

If you want to reliably message your contacts internationally you should consider an over the top message app like whatsapp that can be sent over cellular data or wifi. Then you are not restricted by the rules of your carrier. Those messages will be sent over cellular data or wifi but your contact also has to use whatsapp. This is the great advantage of iphone’s imessage app. It will automatically send messages as imessages to other iphone users and sms/mms to non iphone users. I made the switch to iphone from android mainly for iMessage.

Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly, my Verizon Prepaid Galaxy S4 was able to send MMS over Wifi with cellular data turned off. This was on Cricket using the stock messaging app and Textra. I remember testing it and finding it very strange it could do this. I even turned off background data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    If I remember correctly, my Verizon Prepaid Galaxy S4 was able to send MMS over Wifi with cellular data turned off. This was on Cricket using the stock messaging app and Textra. I remember testing it and finding it very strange it could do this. I even turned off background data.
    Maybe, but I always thought MMS had to use cellular data. I tested this a few times on my android devices also. When I sent a MMS cellular data would automatically turn on to send the MMS then turn off again if I remember correctly.

The carrier loaded native messaging app may do this automatically. Maybe carriers are starting to update the MMS protocol to send of Wifi now.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    That only works if you are using a different application which does not use the cellular network and uses wifi instead or if WiFi calling is enabled. SMS does not require data.

Feedback Score
    If your phone supports wifi calling and it works you can send and receive sms and MMS over WiFi if your carrier supports it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Texts to and from multiple addressees also uses MMS.

If data is off, some phones will toggle on data to send or receive MMS then turn it back off. You might not notice data being enabled.

iPhones are somewhat different world in the way they work for SMS, MMS and iMessage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast