Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 286

Thread: Mobley Sim to Hotspot

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedius View Post
    It appears that ATT is locking the sim to the existing "mobley" that activated the plan, is that not what is happening though?
    I don't believe it is tied to the Mobley; it's the software upgrade that triggers the lock. As described above, once you unlock and set a new PIN, it will work in other devices but you have to enter the PIN every time you turn it on.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,937
    Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    Well if ATT ever does a device-plan compatibility sweep, a sinking boat. But if SIM locking occurs only after a Mobley update (while the SIM is in it) then maybe they’re in the clear. All speculation though.
    This all started after the ZTE ban was lifted, I suspect this is some sort of "welcome back" project for ZTE engineers.

    It does give AT&T a way to reign in abusers. Look at people, say, using a terabyte of data. Tell them the SIM has to go back in the Mobley. Those that don't are cancelled. Those that do, the SIM is locked to the Mobley. Combined with the 30 minute timeout in 1.0.3, they've closed all the doors.

    Of course, AT&T could just account sweep anyone with that specific plan code and a device not in a Mobley, give them 30 days to get it back to one or have the plan cancelled. They're within their rights to do so.

    I think this was mostly done to make Spark a tenable solution, by showing the Mobley people can be reigned in.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    At work, and can verify my second Work Mobley SIM is also now also married to the Work Mobley, asking for a PIN in a Velocity.

    You have already reported the current solution. Unfortunately, it takes an additional locking the SIM (3 failed attempts) in another device to 'fully' lock the SIM. Once inserted to the married device (OG Mobley), the csr-provided code will open the 2nd level lock, and your description of a firmware prompt to reset your own unlock PIN would be MOST welcome. I see no such component in the existing Mobley firmware.
    In my situation, I did not exceed the 3 attempts. The CSR may have done something on their end when they provided the unlock code, but the first time the Mobley asked for the PIN, the set/confirm a new PIN was below the PIN request.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    98
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    It does give AT&T a way to reign in abusers. Look at people, say, using a terabyte of data. Tell them the SIM has to go back in the Mobley. Those that don't are cancelled. Those that do, the SIM is locked to the Mobley. Combined with the 30 minute timeout in 1.0.3, they've closed all the doors.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    The true "abusers" are those who are using the sim outside of the mobley.
    Those are the only ones not punished by the update.
    But they're not actually breaking the TOC.
    Neither is using a TB of data, whether sponsored or metered.
    It is an "unlimited" plan afterall.

    If AT&T thinks the mobley is a problem, it could update the TOC as a soft enforcement lever.
    Or initiate IMEI sweeps as a hard enforcement lever.
    Any sweep would wipe out the substantial number of lines that used a spoofed mobley IMEI.

    But post FirstNet I can't see AT&T thinking the mobley is a problem.
    AT&T's network has handled everything to this point without trouble, and then they added 20 Mhz nationwide.

    My only speculation is AT&T wants to force adoption of higher margin plans.
    They've already done this with & More forcing new customers to pay for WatchTV, even as DirecTV NOW customers.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    430
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    The true "abusers" are those who are using the sim outside of the mobley.
    I was one of the guys lucky enough to upgrade to a Nighthawk via the web upgrade when it was offered. Bug or no, I didn't swap without them putting me on a two year agreement on the NH. I barely use 20GB per month on the acct since it's used in the car. I did use it mostly in the velocity but recently switched to the NH.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,937
    Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    That doesn't make any sense.
    The true "abusers" are those who are using the sim outside of the mobley.
    Those are the only ones not punished by the update.
    But they're not actually breaking the TOC.
    Neither is using a TB of data, whether sponsored or metered.
    It is an "unlimited" plan afterall.

    If AT&T thinks the mobley is a problem, it could update the TOC as a soft enforcement lever.
    Or initiate IMEI sweeps as a hard enforcement lever.
    Any sweep would wipe out the substantial number of lines that used a spoofed mobley IMEI.

    But post FirstNet I can't see AT&T thinking the mobley is a problem.
    AT&T's network has handled everything to this point without trouble, and then they added 20 Mhz nationwide.

    My only speculation is AT&T wants to force adoption of higher margin plans.
    They've already done this with & More forcing new customers to pay for WatchTV, even as DirecTV NOW customers.
    I think the way AT&T sees it is that with Mobley 1.0.3, the device shuts off after 30 minutes. If you can use 1TB of data with a Cat 3 LTE device that shuts off every 30 minutes, AT&T is not going to take your plan away. They're probably more likely to ask if you're interested in a job.

    But that means power cycling the Mobley. Every 30 minutes. You can't even finish some downloads in 30 minutes.

    You might have a case that AT&T has no right to modify the Mobley in this way, and take away the timeouts longer than 30 minutes. I am guessing AT&T is willing to take that risk, that nobody challenges it in court. It's such a small pool of people, I'm not sure any class action attorney would take it.

    And AT&T always has the stick of simply waiving ETFs, and terminating the plans, and sending out SIM unlock codes for Mobley to work on other carriers. "You don't like our new rules? Fine, here's your unlock code, go find a carrier that will offer you anything better." - Is what I think their position would be. All that would do is open up a supply of Mobleys for the people willing to stay on with the plan, having no better option.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    98
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    I was one of the guys lucky enough to upgrade to a Nighthawk via the web upgrade when it was offered. Bug or no, I didn't swap without them putting me on a two year agreement on the NH. I barely use 20GB per month on the acct since it's used in the car. I did use it mostly in the velocity but recently switched to the NH.
    What is the advantage of upgrading the IMEI on record?
    Wouldn't updating the IMEI make you ineligible for the plan?
    Or is it the 2-year agreement that keeps you in place?

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,937
    Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    What is the advantage of upgrading the IMEI on record?
    Wouldn't updating the IMEI make you ineligible for the plan?
    Or is it the 2-year agreement that keeps you in place?
    Due to the rapid deployment of the plan, it's coded as a DataConnect plan at the time. That's why some were able to order Nighthawks on 2-years. They have since closed this option, by moving CCSUDP (along with Spark) to a separate plan code.

    My presumption is that if AT&T decides to end unsupported support for hotspots on this plan, those people will be in the same boat - ordered to move the SIM back to a Mobley or cancel.

    Those that cut corners and didn't buy a Mobley, I wouldn't be feeling good today.

    For the record, my Mobley finally updated to 1.0.3 last night (despite being slightly under 12V) and the SIM instantly locked.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,193
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    I think the way AT&T sees it is that with Mobley 1.0.3, the device shuts off after 30 minutes....
    My Mobley updated to 1.0.3 a few days ago. The never-time-out option is gone from Power Save, but I still have the options up to 2 hours and that is what I have it set to. I did an Apply and have cycled the power. On an AC power supply it runs continuously and has for days. Where are you getting that it will only run for 30 minutes?

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    430
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It would be nice if AT&T came out and let us know if it was a glitch with the firmware or intended.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,511
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lancep50 View Post
    In my situation, the Velocity asked for a PIN. Wasted a bunch of time with CSR via Chat and Phone; postpaid CSR provided a PIN 69476434
    8 digit PIN sounds like a PUK code. Has anyone tried entering the PUK code usually found on the card the SIM came attached to?

    I found a procedure for getting the PUK code from the website which I copied below. However, once I get to step #6, I don't see "Get your PIN unlock key (PUK)" listed in my account under my Mobley.


    How to unlock a SIM with a PUK

    1. Go to Account overview.
    2. If you have more than one account, select wireless from the dropdown at the top.
    3. Select My wireless.
    4. Under MY DEVICES & FEATURES, scroll to and select the device that needs a PUK code.
    5. Select Manage device & features.
    6. Under See device options, select Get your PIN unlock key (PUK).
    7. The PUK and instructions for your device display.
    8. If a Motorola device isn’t currently displaying Enter PUK, enter **05* before entering the PUK code.
    9. Enter the eight-digit PUK code in your device.
    10. Select OK/Yes.
    11. Follow the prompts to create a new PIN code.


    PUK2 or PUK blocked call operator
    If your device displays PUK2 or PUK blocked call operator, then the wrong PUK code was entered 10 or more times in a row. The SIM card is blocked and must be replaced. Contact us to replace the blocked SIM card.


    https://www.att.com/esupport/article...71?gsi=qFbSZsk

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lancep50 View Post
    In my situation, I did not exceed the 3 attempts. The CSR may have done something on their end when they provided the unlock code, but the first time the Mobley asked for the PIN, the set/confirm a new PIN was below the PIN request.
    Apologies, thought you had fully locked after 3 attempts. Did you call regular support to get the unlock code, or was it Connected Car department? Cheers!

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC/CT
    Posts
    993
    Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    This all started after the ZTE ban was lifted, I suspect this is some sort of "welcome back" project for ZTE engineers.

    It does give AT&T a way to reign in abusers. Look at people, say, using a terabyte of data. Tell them the SIM has to go back in the Mobley. Those that don't are cancelled. Those that do, the SIM is locked to the Mobley. Combined with the 30 minute timeout in 1.0.3, they've closed all the doors.

    Of course, AT&T could just account sweep anyone with that specific plan code and a device not in a Mobley, give them 30 days to get it back to one or have the plan cancelled. They're within their rights to do so.

    I think this was mostly done to make Spark a tenable solution, by showing the Mobley people can be reigned in.
    I had to temporarily click "view post" since you are on my ignore list because I was curious what non-sense you'd try to spew after your hiatus from this thread.

    Likely has zero to do with the ZTE ban. Makes no logical sense. Existing ZTE device support was not paused. Do you know what the ban was all about because it sounds like you do not.

    It does not effectively reign in abusers. Most I know using hundreds of GB per month on a Mobley plan are doing so through the Mobley device

    Reports regarding the timeout have indicated that no one seems to be impacted as long as they are on a power adapter that is giving over 12 volts

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,511
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Where are you getting that it will only run for 30 minutes?
    He hasn't used a Mobley that has been updated as it doesn't cut out after 30 minutes as he falsely claims. I had to reboot once after the update and it has stayed on continuously since. No power cycling required.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,511
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    I had to temporarily click "view post" since you are on my ignore list because I was curious what non-sense you'd try to spew after your hiatus from this thread.

    Likely has zero to do with the ZTE ban. Makes no logical sense. Existing ZTE device support was not paused. Do you know what the ban was all about because it sounds like you do not.

    It does not effectively reign in abusers. Most I know using hundreds of GB per month on a Mobley plan are doing so through the Mobley device

    Reports regarding the timeout have indicated that no one seems to be impacted as long as they are on a power adapter that is giving over 12 volts
    Yes, this is more random hatoncat speculation that he is known for with no basis on any actual knowledge. To illustrate I quickly found a post when he was on the other side of the fence saying AT&T welcomed people to transfer the SIM to a different device with no prohibition of it:

    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Sorry, gotta disagree with that 110%. If AT&T wants to block SIM swapping, they could easily add a one sentence statement prohibiting that. They have in the past - such as with phone SIMs in hotspots. Here, they chose not to add that text. They can change that decision at any time they wish for new adds.

    This is a form of price discrimination. Savvy customers get the plan they want (standalone instead of add-a-line on a friend's Unlimited Plus plan). AT&T gets to become the nation's largest carrier.

    Happens all the time in wireless. And again, AT&T is not losing any money versus using a hotspot on a friend's Unlimited Plus plan. This is just structured billing price discrimination, nothing more.



    ^ This. 110%. AT&T is intentionally throwing a quiet bone to mobile geeks that have been disenfranchised by past AT&T policies. It's a win-win.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2017, 11:09 AM
  2. Mobley SIM to Unite Explore?...
    By rbertalotto in forum AT&T
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM
  3. Swapping hotspot sim to smartphone
    By Dekay666 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2014, 03:06 AM
  4. LTE SIM to mobile hotspot
    By Tmobile2013 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM
  5. put Pay & Go sim into hotspot device to get data
    By jokealot in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM

Bookmarks