Thread: Sprint Pulls Unlimited Mobile Broadband Plan

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score

Sprint Pulls Unlimited Mobile Broadband Plan

Just learned Monday that Sprint pulled unlimited mobile broadband from their system... yet again.

The $55/$75 plan is gone completely. If you have it and like it, hold onto it.

Frankly I think Sprint is nuts for doing this post-aborted-merger. Sprint is the carrier that needs these high-ARPU lines the most, and people aren't going to use them in impacted areas. Two of the big four still offer unlimited home internet options, so this just smacks of bad decision-making to me.

Not to mention the Calyx / Mobile Beacon options... I don't get the logic behind this move.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only carrier that (currently) offers an unlimited hotspot device is AT&T. T-Mobile has an “unlimited” hotspot feature, but has stipulations.

They have made it clear they don’t want to get into the fixed wireless market, so maybe they had people abusing these plans?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has said the intend to enter this market with 5G, all the carriers have. The point of 5G is to compete head-on with cable.

Considering the "abuse" of Mobile Beacon, I find that unlikely. I think this is a repeat of what happened the last time they offered nearly the same plan, Sprint had a quota of sales to make up, got them, and is now measuring utilization to see what they need to cap/throttle. Especially now that Net Neutrality is dead.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sprint Pulls Unlimited Mobile Broadband Plan

Funny considering Sprint said “we have no plans to launch fixed wireless”...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sp...g-preparations

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Funny considering Sprint said “we have no plans to launch fixed wireless”...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sp...g-preparations
    First, I think the whole fixed-vs-wireless debate is a bit of a misnomer. There will be fixed wireless on Sprint, it just may be others do it for Sprint, using Sprint spectrum.

Second, I don't believe Sprint when they say that. I think they're just trying to game the competition.

Third, part of 5G's benefits is enabling white space to make "mobile" modems work in a fixed nature, without the need of fixed-specific hardware.

Bottom line, if Sprint won't enter fixed 5G, someone (ahem) will do it for them.

But I think this is all a distinction without a difference. Sprint has offered-and-then-quickly-pulled either this plan, or one similar to it, every year for awhile now. I think this is about sales quotas. AT&T aborted pulling unlimited hotspots when they found out that it was the difference between having net losses, and not having net losses for Q4.

Feedback Score
    Is it still possible to obtain this through change of ownership or will you be forced off the plan?