Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Volte yet?

Feedback Score

Volte yet?

Does sprint have volte yet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    Not yet tho some devices can talk and surf. Should happen some point this year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Right now the closest to VOLTE is calling plus

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    HAHAHAHAHA. No they donít. Iím to the point of cancelling because they do not.

I expressed my frustration to Sprintís cancellation department, and the guy laughed and told me that using data and voice at the same time is unnecessary.

He went on to say that itís an iPhone only limitation and itís like that on all carriers... yea.. no itís not.

Feedback Score
    It's coming Soon (TM).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA. No they donít. Iím to the point of cancelling because they do not.

I expressed my frustration to Sprintís cancellation department, and the guy laughed and told me that using data and voice at the same time is unnecessary.

He went on to say that itís an iPhone only limitation and itís like that on all carriers... yea.. no itís not.
    Sprint needs to hire Secret shopper customers to caught bad CS people in the act.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    It's coming Soon (TM).
    Sprint REALLY should trademark that phrase at this point.

Here in Chicago we used to have a saying about the Cubs. There's always next year.

Kinda feels that way with Sprint, although I don't think they will ever be a world champion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    LTE Calling Beta is available on some phones including the Samsung S8 (Sprint version only, not on the Unbranded S8).

It is functionally the same as VoLTE (full integration with the dialer, handover to wifi etc, incoming calls etc.) and uses the native VoLTE implementation within the phone, but may not be quite as performant because of QOS issues on the network. In actual fact, it works perfectly for me and many others (see S4GRU S8 threads for many people who are using it and finding it works fine). For now, it uses Sprint's infrastructure for Wifi Calling on the network side. Eventually the network will provide a full VoLTE infrastructure taht it will use.
    Last edited by comintel; 01-15-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here in Oregon, I may of seen some anecdotal evidence of them going in the good direction. Outside Sisters OR, I found Sprint native LTE on my way into town. Historically Sprint sort of skipped these connecting highways and just covered the city proper with any form of LTE. So you might get 3G or 1x with some voice/text support. In any event, the Sprint signal I had was same as last year in terms of geographic coverage but they did add LTE on the route.

So if they go VoLTE it's important they have LTE everywhere they have 3G today. So step one is actually deploying LTE where 3G is now. I didn't say the LTE is rocking fast, just available. I didn't have time to look at it carefully, but I typically see 5x5 band 25, 26 or both.

I suspect Sprint will finally have at least optional VoLTE sometime this year.

-Dan

PS: I hate to say I told them so, but if you look in the forums from some years back, I recommended Sprint overlay LTE everywhere ASAP both as a means to support VoLTE but also to enable potential roaming. Sprint's decisions (to me) have been so bad, I assume they know what they need to do and are so cash strapped they literally cannot execute. We know Sprint has vast spectrum but can't build. It's like playing monopoly and getting boardwalk and parkplace late in the game, the opponents already have hotels on their properties, and you with no cash to build.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post

I suspect Sprint will finally have at least optional VoLTE sometime this year.
    Agreed.

I think that is why they announced that they are adding all bands to all towers this year and finally are increasing Capex significantly. Currently band 41 is on only 70% of the towers and that will increase to 100%. That will make an enormous difference. I think the reason is to be able to announce a VoLTE launch later this year.

It does not have to be perfect. Even Verizon's VoLTE has issues in some areas where people say it is unusable. Of course Sprint's VoLTE will have still more issues but it should be at least viable for many because many find even the current LTE Calling beta to be viable.

They can also make some LTE arrangements with other carriers where especially needed. They have added the other carriers' LTE bands in all recent Sprint phones for a reason.

I agree that the main cause of delay has been purely a matter of cash - they decided to conserve it for the last year but they can get it from their parent when they really need it to preserve viability (as they do now to get VoLTE going).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Agreed.

I think that is why they announced that they are adding all bands to all towers this year and finally are increasing Capex significantly. Currently band 41 is on only 0% of the towers and that will increase to 100%. That will make an enornous difference. I think the reason is to be able to announce a VoLTE launch later this year.

It does not have to be perfect. Even Verizon's VoLTE has issues in some areas where people say it is unusable. Of course Sprint's VoLTE will have still more issues but it should be at least viable for many because many find even the current LTE Calling beta to be viable.

They can also make some LTE arrangements ith other carriers where especially needed.

I agree it has been purely a matter of cash - they decided to conserve it for the last year but they can get it from ther parent when they really need it to preserve viability (as they do now to get VoLTE going).
    I hope so. There is a city in Minnesota with very little B41, so the network is slow. No 10x10 B25 either even tho they have the holdings for that

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    I hope so. There is a city in Minnesota with very little B41, so the network is slow. No 10x10 B25 either even tho they have the holdings for that

Pretty much the entire state of Alabama is without B41, so every time I go home, I just connect to WiFi.

Feedback Score
    Pretty much the entire state of Alabama is without B41, so every time I go home, I just connect to WiFi.
    I drove thru there last April. It did stink. What are their PCS holdings there?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    I drove thru there last April. It did stink. What are their PCS holdings there?

I believe 15MHz total. Unfortunately they donít have any 10MHz carriers deployed, so only some cell towers have 2 5MHz carriers deployed with CA.

The cell density is very poor so you spend a lot of time on B26 indoors which leads to a very poor experience.

Feedback Score
    I believe 15MHz total. Unfortunately they donít have any 10MHz carriers deployed, so only some cell towers have 2 5MHz carriers deployed with CA.

The cell density is very poor so you spend a lot of time on B26 indoors which leads to a very poor experience.
    Yeah that does suck. Hopefully B41 will start popping up. Has the 25+25 CA made any difference? The Galaxy S9 supports 25+25+26 so hope that can help to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast