Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why does hotspot work and can I get in trouble by using it occasionally?

Feedback Score

why does hotspot work and can I get in trouble by using it occasionally?

"occasionally" as in once a month,with maybe 200mb, tethered to my
    tablet or laptop on the road.

(Tracfone SIM on AT&T network, with my Galaxy S7 & Note 5, as well as iPhone 7 and SE)

Feedback Score
    tracfone doesn't really support hotspot use IE there's nothing on their website saying it's not allowed. if it works then just go ahead and use it

Feedback Score
    Look again closely for "hotspot" .. ... It's there under "8. UNUAUTHORIZED USE OF SERVICE"

https://www.tracfone.com/termsandconditions?lang=en

Someone could do a chat and see what the CSR says.

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    tracfone doesn't really support hotspot use IE there's nothing on their website saying it's not allowed. if it works then just go ahead and use it

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    "occasionally" as in once a month,with maybe 200mb, tethered to my
    tablet or laptop on the road.
    TF Terms & Conditions say hotspot/tetheting is not allowed. There are people who said they've done it without problems. But it's like driving over the speed limits, some people do it all the time and don't get caught. But if YOU do it and get caught, you don't have much of a case to fight the charge. Are you feeling lucky today?

Feedback Score
    Should add that TF has no financial incentive to limit hotspots. The more you use, the more you pay.

The carriers consider tethering some sort of premium feature that you should pay extra for. The suspicion is that they are the ones who made TF write the no tethering clause in the TOS.

Also, we have recently seen paragraphs in the TOS that make no sense and clearly does not apply to TF service. So, how much should we pay attention to it??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Also, we have recently seen paragraphs in the TOS that make no sense and clearly does not apply to TF service. So, how much should we pay attention to it??
    With a large balance and many years of service, I pay attention to restrictions that TF can use to terminate my service. Everyone else can do whatever they want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    With a large balance and many years of service, I pay attention to restrictions that TF can use to terminate my service. Everyone else can do whatever they want.
    I always keep the absolute minimum balance possible. I don't give out the phone number(incoming calls all come from my Google Voice number)... so I guess worst case is that I have to buy a new Tracfone SIM and start a new account?

Feedback Score
    What I do not understand is why my LG Fiesta 2, which is a TF branded phone, has the ability to tether.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-02-05-10-22-07.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  43.2 KB

Feedback Score
    I haven't had any problem tethering ( net10 at&t) in my obviously unlocked Blu R1 hd's factory tethering.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I'm speculating that a big factor in tethering enforcement on the TracFone companies may be the frequency of tethering and the amount of data used during the tethering session.

Do you have any estimates on either of these for your NET10 case? Anyone else having such data they can share, please post if you don't mind.

Has anyone here ever received a tethering warning from any TracFone companies related to their specific tethering usage?

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I haven't had any problem tethering ( net10 at&t) in my obviously unlocked Blu R1 hd's factory tethering.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    What I do not understand is why my LG Fiesta 2, which is a TF branded phone, has the ability to tether.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-02-05-10-22-07.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  43.2 KB
    Have you actually turned on "Hotspot" to see what happens. I have 3 phones on TF and they all have a Hotspot toggle in settings. It only actually works on one of them (Amazon Fire Phone.) The other 2 try to connect with the carrier's server and fail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    It was significant that until the recent change, TracFone itself had no clearly written hotspot policy. N10 and ST always did. The policy is now uniform throughout the TracFone companies. We ASSUMED there was such a policy before. Think that was mostly from occasional comments by the CSRs. At one time there was a notice on one of TracFone's alternate websites.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone really needs to be clear on what is allowed and what is not when it comes to phones with features. If they sell a phone that has it enabled like one of the posters showed with their LG Fiesta 2 then it should be allowed
    Otherwise that is like baiting customers to try by including this feature and then a customers service gets deactivated for using something that came with their phone sold by Tracfone.

The ZTE Majesty Pro also has the Mobile Hotspot capability as well sold by Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear916 View Post
    Tracfone really needs to be clear on what is allowed and what is not when it comes to phones with features. If they sell a phone that has it enabled like one of the posters showed with their LG Fiesta 2 then it should be allowed
    Otherwise that is like baiting customers to try by including this feature and then a customers service gets deactivated for using something that came with their phone sold by Tracfone.

The ZTE Majesty Pro also has the Mobile Hotspot capability as well sold by Tracfone.
    exactly.... all rules should be clearly presented to the customer... like when I went to a lobster all-you-can-eat buffet a couple of months ago... I asked the manger if I could really eat 100 lobsters, if my stomach allowed. She said sure.... so I ended up eating around 15 2-pound lobsters, a couple dozen raw oysters, plus four 12-ounce steaks. I'm still feeling full after 2 months just thinking about it.

Feedback Score
    I remember back in the day, when Net 10 introduced Android phones, streaming of videos and music was prohibited. If they caught you, they turned your data off or throttled you permanently until the next billing cycle, if you were lucky enough to be punished minimum there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast