Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rootmetrics: And 4th Place Goes To..............

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Rootmetrics: And 4th Place Goes To..............

http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/con...e-entire-us-2h

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/02/0...ile-struggles/

Apparently in their most recent tests Rootmetrics paints T-Mobile as slow, unreliable with bad coverage... even worse than Sprint.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Comment from Neville Ray:

"Big Red is clearly rattled, but buying awards won’t bring back their glory days. T-Mobile has closed the network gap, and the awards that matter – those from real customers on all networks – tell you all you need to know: T-Mobile customers are the most satisfied and are more likely to recommend us. They get an LTE signal more reliably and have the fastest LTE. Those are the reasons why millions of Verizon customers have flocked to T-Mobile.” Neville Ray, Chief Technology Officer of T-Mobile

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I know that a lot of these tests are suspect and even the Open Signal that gives T-Mobile first place in every category but I just cannot believ that T-Mobile is last place in coverage and LTE availability. I’m a real world user. I get coverage in places that I didn’t have when I had Att about a year and a half ago. Almost every speed test I run with people who have ATT is faster with T-Mobile. Doesn’t make sense.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While walking my dog I came up on a friend in the neighborhood standing in the street talking on her phone. When she hung up I walked up and said you must have AT&T and she ask how I knew. I said because every other network in our area you don't have to stand in the street to talk on the phone. Then showed her I can stream HD video from my security camera from T-Mobile's spectrum to my phone.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    While walking my dog I came up on a friend in the neighborhood standing in the street talking on her phone. When she hung up I walked up and said you must have AT&T and she ask how I knew. I said because every other network in our area you don't have to stand in the street to talk on the phone. Then showed her I can stream HD video from my security camera from T-Mobile's spectrum to my phone.
    All the anecdotal evidence in the world doesn't really amount to much. I see a lot of arguments like "My service works AWESOME! How can they be dead last?". None of it means much except that your carrier is great in your area.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    All the anecdotal evidence in the world doesn't really amount to much. I see a lot of arguments like "My service works AWESOME! How can they be dead last?". None of it means much except that your carrier is great in your area.
    Oh so you think I should pay for worthless AT&T service that doesn't even work well in my area just because that Rootmetrics claims AT&T beats T-Mobile. LOL that is anecdotal evidence of insanity.

BTW, Rootmetrics makes most their money by selling data to Verizon & AT&T. The other crowdsourcing testing services don't get paid by the networks and test with real customers that are free to fire their network and go to other networks that work better for them. I don't trust any company like Rootmetrics that get paid $$$ for publishing their rating by the company that of that service, since they have to keep those companies happy or they lose revenue. Rootmetrics has already shown in the past to disable VoLTE on T-Mobile that was enabled out of the box that was against Rootmetrics published rules.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Oh so you think I should pay for worthless AT&T service that doesn't even work well in my area just because that Rootmetrics claims AT&T beats T-Mobile. LOL that is anecdotal evidence of insanity.

BTW, Rootmetrics makes most their money by selling data to Verizon & AT&T. The other crowd sourcing testing services don't get paid by the networks and test with real customers that are free to fire their network and go to other networks that work better for them.
    I absolutely never said that. Through my posts here, I have been clear about one thing: Use the network that works best in your area. Just don't be surprised if that network doesn't happen to be the best nationally, or even state wide.

On your other note: Crowd sourced testing and scientific drive testing both have their place. I don't know why it needs to be either/or. However, I am pretty sure Ookla and OpenSignal both like to get paid for use of their logos and analysis in marketing. Just like Rootmetrics and everyone else.

Let's tone down the rhetoric for a moment. Use what you like. Whether or not it's the best nationally shouldn't matter to you, me, or anyone else.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Exactly. I know that I can drive for hours in Vermont and have no T-Mobile signal at all. While AT&T and Verizon users are fine on the same stretches of road. Completely anecdotal.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold,Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It’s funny how everyone cries that Verizon and AT&T buy RootMetrics awards when T-Mobile does the same thing with OpenSignal and Ookla... sigh.

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    It’s funny how everyone cries that Verizon and AT&T buy RootMetrics awards when T-Mobile does the same thing with OpenSignal and Ookla... sigh.
    Got any proof that T-Mobile pays anything to OpenSignal and Ookla that makes it's money by advertising not from networks paying them? RootMetrics makes all their money from revenue from the four networks. Fact Rootmetrics broke their own written rules disabling VoLTE on T-Mobile that was enabled out of the box in the past. OpenSignal and Ookla use real Network Customers in their testing and Rootmetrics doesn't.

If you want to trust Rootmetrics good for you but I don't trust them since if they claim T-Mobile hasn't improved in the last 3.5 years. Total BS and I don't trust them one bit after that statement. No Way T-Mobile is worst than Sprint either. Rootmetrics would be bankrupt IMHO if T-Mobile was ranked #1 in a couple of years.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Got any proof that T-Mobile pays anything to OpenSignal and Ookla that makes it's money by advertising not from networks paying them? RootMetrics makes all their money from revenue from the four networks. Fact Rootmetrics broke their own written rules disabling VoLTE on T-Mobile that was enabled out of the box in the past. OpenSignal and Ookla use real Network Customers in their testing and Rootmetrics doesn't.

If you want to trust Rootmetrics good for you but I don't trust them since if they claim T-Mobile hasn't improved in the last 3.5 years. Total BS and I don't trust them one bit.
    It's not that they say T-Mobile hasn't improved in 3 years. It's that everyone else is also improving, too. Had the other carriers sat still, there's a very good chance T-Mobile would be near or at the top. The biggest market in my state has T-Mobile on top with Rootmetrics. I don't think they care who wins.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's not that they say T-Mobile hasn't improved in 3 years. It's that everyone else is also improving, too. Had the other carriers sat still, there's a very good chance T-Mobile would be near or at the top. The biggest market in my state has T-Mobile on top with Rootmetrics. I don't think they care who wins.
    If you go to Rootmetrics and view the current RootScore Report map, then go click on each network on the right side and see the number of #1 ranking in each of the 125 metro areas they tested. This is what they show;

Verizon won #1 overall 103 out of 125 Metro areas.

AT&T won #1 overall 52 out of 125 Metro areas.

T-Mobile won #1 overall 37 out of 125 Metro areas.

Sprint won #1 overall 6 out of 125 Metro areas.

Yet, even with T-Mobile winning 37 #1 ranking compared to just 6 that Sprint won nationally in Metro areas somehow RootMetric claims Sprint is better than T-Mobile.

Well since T-Mobile has doubled their customers in the last five years in which RootMetrics claims they haven't improved in ranking sure does look suspicious to me. However RootMetrics has cheated by breaking their own written rules with disabling VoLTE out of the box on T-Mobile in the past. I don't trust cheaters that get paid the most by the network that ranks them #1. As long as Rootmetric is paid by the networks for their service it isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you go to Rootmetrics and view the current RootScore Report map, then go click on each network on the right side and see the number of #1 ranking in each of the 125 metro areas they tested. This is what they show;

Verizon won #1 overall 103 out of 125 Metro areas.

AT&T won #1 overall 52 out of 125 Metro areas.

T-Mobile won #1 overall 37 out of 125 Metro areas.

Sprint won #1 overall 6 out of 125 Metro areas.

Yet, even with T-Mobile winning 37 #1 ranking compared to just 6 that Sprint won nationally in Metro areas somehow RootMetric claims Sprint is better than T-Mobile.

Well since T-Mobile has doubled their customers in the last five years in which RootMetrics claims they haven't improved in ranking sure does look suspicious to me. However RootMetrics has cheated by breaking their own rules with disabling VoLTE out of the box on T-Mobile. I don't trust cheaters that get paid the most by the network that ranks them #1. As long as Rootmetric is paid by the networks for their service it isn't worth the paper it is written on.
    Are you disputing that other testing firms get paid for use of their logos and analysis in marketing? Do Ookla and OpenSignal make their marks and reports available for free in advertising?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you disputing that other testing firms get paid for use of their logos and analysis in marketing? Do Ookla and OpenSignal make their marks and reports available for free in advertising?
    So are you claiming that since T-Mobile doesn't count data against a customers plan on which Ookla and OpenSignal sell advertising directly from their Aps testing results, that constitutes payment between T-Mobile with Ookla and OpenSignal? Are you saying that is the same as Verizon sending checks for millions of dollars direct to Rootmetrics?

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So are you claiming that since T-Mobile doesn't count data against a customers plan on which Ookla and OpenSignal sell advertising that constitutes payment between T-Mobile with Ookla and OpenSignal? Like that is the same as Verizon sending checks for millions of dollars direct to Rootmetrics?
    No. I am claiming that both companies protect their marks and reports. If you want to use either one in advertising, pay up. T-Mobile pays for reports just like everyone else. So this argument that the duopoly pays for reports, therefore the reports are invalid, doesn't make much sense to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast