Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: Rootmetrics: And 4th Place Goes To..............

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,121
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    No. I am claiming that both companies protect their marks and reports. If you want to use either one in advertising, pay up. T-Mobile pays for reports just like everyone else. So this argument that the duopoly pays for reports, therefore the reports are invalid, doesn't make much sense to me.
    That is just more proof that since T-Mobile and Sprint don't pay for any Rootmetrics Advertising that Rootmetrics has a reason to keep ranking Verizon as #1. You are just making my point for me that Rootmetrics is subject to how high they rank Verizon in their testing if they want to get paid. Rootmetrics gets all of their revenue money from the networks and okla and OpenSignal sell advertising directly to people that use their App regardless to what network they are using.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    That is just more proof that since T-Mobile and Sprint don't pay for any Rootmetrics Advertising that Rootmetrics has a reason to keep ranking Verizon as #1. You are just making my point for me that Rootmetrics is subject to how high they rank Verizon in their testing if they want to get paid.
    That's a slippery slope. Your argument would put Ookla and OpenSignal on the hook for potentially manipulating data for T-Mobile. I don't believe they are. I believe crowd source data and drive test data often produce significantly different results, for a variety of easily explained and legitimate reasons. I don't believe that any of the companies are in the tank for one carrier to win or another. But if that's what you believe, then you must also accept the possibility that T-Mobile is paying off Ookla and OpenSignal for their reports.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,855
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    T-Mobile has been rapidly expanding coverage, and that has resulted in strong growth in the number of customers quarter after quarter. Sprint is tiny and stagnated.... the worst coverage and thus the fewest customers of the Big 4 carriers
    It's good that Rootmetrics publishes results which show that statements like the one above is just wrong. He tries to attribute their "rapidly expanding coverage" for their strong growth when their expanding coverage had nothing to do with it.

    T-Mobile's strength lies in their high data speeds and coverage they provide in populated areas and not in so-called coverage out in the backwoods and hinterlands.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,121
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    That's a slippery slope. Your argument would put Ookla and OpenSignal on the hook for potentially manipulating data for T-Mobile. I don't believe they are. I believe crowd source data and drive test data often produce significantly different results, for a variety of easily explained and legitimate reasons. I don't believe that any of the companies are in the tank for one carrier to win or another. But if that's what you believe, then you must also accept the possibility that T-Mobile is paying off Ookla and OpenSignal for their reports.
    It is not lost on me that RootMetrics saved this report to publish on the same day as T-Mobile released their FY 2017 Financial reports. Yes, I don't think this is a coincidence. It was very convenient for Rootmetrics to help Verizon to kill statements like this from T-Mobile's John Legere;

    " In fact, $TMUS captured more than 2X the postpaid phone net adds of @Verizon, more than 3X @ATT & almost 5X Sprint in Q417! Customers are flocking to $TMUS and staying! Q4 17 was our lowest-ever Q4 postpaid phone churn of 1.18%, down 10 basis points YoY!"

    https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/statu...56481094094848

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    It is not lost on me that RootMetrics saved this report to publish on the same day as T-Mobile released their FY 2017 Financial reports. Yes, I don't think this is a coincidence it was very convent for Rootmetrics to help Verizon to kill statements like this from T-Mobile's John Legere;

    " In fact, $TMUS captured more than 2X the postpaid phone net adds of @Verizon, more than 3X @ATT & almost 5X Sprint in Q417! Customers are flocking to $TMUS and staying! Q4 17 was our lowest-ever Q4 postpaid phone churn of 1.18%, down 10 basis points YoY!"

    https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/statu...56481094094848
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. I am not of the belief that anyone is out to get T-Mobile, except for their competitors. Having not seen any real evidence to the contrary, I'm sticking with my opinion. You are very committed to your thoughts, as well. So we're probably at an impasse.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    475
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyone can manipulate the methodology to show one carrier performing better than reality. I believe that’s what’s happening with Rootmetrics. Sprint is laughably bad, but by counting Verizon roaming which is only good to make a phone call, they suddenly “beat” T-Mobile. What a joke.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,385
    Feedback Score
    0
    Shiloh said: "BTW, Rootmetrics makes most their money by selling data to Verizon & AT&T"

    Verizon gets the results it buys. Just like with the auto industry and JD Power.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,385
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It's good that Rootmetrics publishes results which show that statements like the one above is just wrong. He tries to attribute their "rapidly expanding coverage" for their strong growth when their expanding coverage had nothing to do with it.

    T-Mobile's strength lies in their high data speeds and coverage they provide in populated areas and not in so-called coverage out in the backwoods and hinterlands.
    And you are the one who calls places where tens of millions need coverage "backwoods".

    T-Mobile's strength is in from moving from the poor network it had in 2014 to meeting the needs of Americans where they use their phones.

    I think you are the only one who thinks that lousy coverage is good, and actually whine about it when T-Mobile gets more customers and profits by expanding coverage. As if it's a bad thing.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    0
    Rootmetrics weighs Nationwide calling really heavily. They count Sprints CDMA roaming as if it were native. T-Mobile just lost At&t roaming on many places. This has generally been the reason that T-Mobile loses in rootmetrics. If you understand the full reason behind the results, it's not suprising.

    Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,385
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It's good that Rootmetrics publishes results which show that statements like the one above is just wrong. He tries to attribute their "rapidly expanding coverage" for their strong growth when their expanding coverage had nothing to do with it.

    T-Mobile's strength lies in their high data speeds and coverage they provide in populated areas and not in so-called coverage out in the backwoods and hinterlands.
    Also, I am sticking to the facts. The expanded coverage is what differentiates T-Mobile from bring a Sprint. Again, no one wants bad coverage, and T-Mobile knows that good coverage means more and more profits.

    If you look at just fixed "population" in any given area, you will typically be ignoring the 10 times as many people needing coverage compared to just those who live there. Thankfully, T-Mobile believes in covering Americans where they use their phones, not just where they live. That's where great profits are.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    349
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    However RootMetrics has cheated by breaking their own written rules with disabling VoLTE out of the box on T-Mobile in the past.
    In the past, that probably helped T-Mobile. Lots of dropped calls on LTE when it first started.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    349
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I believe crowd source data and drive test data often produce significantly different results, for a variety of easily explained and legitimate reasons.
    In my case, I won't run Speedtest in a weak signal area, since I'm trying to see if I can get a really high speed. And for that same reason, in a great signal area, I'll run it. The drive test data aren't trying to achieve the same results.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,191
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Crowd sourced data can be sketchy too. For instance, if I’m running my Weboost while driving, my T-Mobile line will have service in many places where it wouldn’t have before.


    Also, how many more T-Mobile customers run open signal constantly and map coverage vs. Verizon or AT&T customers?

    One stretch of road, it shows “customer verified” on T-Mobile’s map, but that customer was me running a powerful signal booster LOL. Otherwise it would have been NO SERVICE.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    475
    Feedback Score
    0
    Signal boosters don’t generally provide service where there is none. I have a WeBoost 4G-X and it helps boost the existing signal but even WeBoost says it won’t give you a signal if there’s nothing to boost.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,191
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Signal boosters don’t generally provide service where there is none. I have a WeBoost 4G-X and it helps boost the existing signal but even WeBoost says it won’t give you a signal if there’s nothing to boost.
    Correct. But without the booster in these places, my T-Mobile phone would show "No Service" because the signal is too weak for my phone to connect to. The booster generally provides 1-2 bars of usable service in areas where I had none before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
  2. Sports: And the award goes to.....
    By bruno129 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 08:20 AM
  3. fake headsets (in uk..and other places)..how to distinguish it from real ones
    By rabitootoo in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 08:42 PM
  4. C.D and V.M goes to $8!!!!
    By The View in forum Fido
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 01:25 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-03-2003, 07:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks