Thread: How to perform a device unlock?

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

How to perform a device unlock?

I'm wanting to unlock a T-Mobile Note 5 that I have bought via Swappa.com but I can not have it unlocked.... The phone isn't blacklisted as noted by both Swappa and T-Mobile and I can activate it on another T-Mobile account so it was paid off and in good standing when sold to me but when I put a sim from Cricket for example it won't take it because it's locked to T-Mobile... I need to have the original owner call in to have it unlocked it as noted by 3 different people over the phone from T-Mobile but since I bought it from a resell company on Swappa they didn't buy the Note 5 from it's original owner and don't know who owned it before me.... how would I go about unlocking this phone so that it can be used on networks other than T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    if Tmobile won't unlock it for you try cellunlocker.net

don't see why Tmobile cares. who the. original owner is as. long as it's not under contract or obligation. AT&T has unlocked tons of used phones I've bought over the years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    " The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of a low price has faded from memory" > Aldo Gucci

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishmc View Post
    if Tmobile won't unlock it for you try cellunlocker.net

don't see why Tmobile cares. who the. original owner is as. long as it's not under contract or obligation. AT&T has unlocked tons of used phones I've bought over the years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    that site says I'm restricted to T-Mobile Device Unlock App since T-Mobile doen't use unlock codes and that will not help me since I need T-mobile's help to use that App and they won't help me without talking to original owner of the Note 5 to verify some information which nobody knows who is the original owner and T-Mobile won't tell me who that is for legal reasons

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This is unfortunate but a little due diligence on the OP's part could have prevented the situation. These are T-Mobile's unlock requirements: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588
    If the device was sold as "unlocked" the OP may have recourse through Swappa. If it was sold as locked, why did the OP buy it?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    You may have to use the device on T-Mobile for a couple of months (to meet the 40 day requirement). Get it unlocked by T-Mobile. And then take it to whatever carrier you want.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This is unfortunate but a little due diligence on the OP's part could have prevented the situation. These are T-Mobile's unlock requirements: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588
    If the device was sold as "unlocked" the OP may have recourse through Swappa. If it was sold as locked, why did the OP buy it?
    actually doesn't disclose if it was sold as locked or unlocked

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    actually doesn't disclose if it was sold as locked or unlocked
    Then you should have asked and not just assumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile's unlock policy is ridiculous, why do they care as long as the phone is
    not under contract or financial obligation and you can show proof of purchase.
    i've had a cellphone since 1985 but this is the first time i've had Tmobile
    service. as i said previously AT&T has unlocked 50+ new and used phones i've
    bought over the years with no problem, they even have a dedicated webpage
    just for unlocking requests and will unlock even if you are not an AT&T customer.