Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thoughts on the Notch

Name:  IMG_5377.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  53.4 KB
    One of the iPhone X’s most controversial features is its screen or rather, the fact that parts of it are missing.

Yes, I’m talking about the “Notch”.

While previous iPhones had large bezels at the top and bottom of the phone, the X’s design features a display that takes up the entire front of the phone. That means the iPhone’s most iconic feature; the home button is a thing of the past.

However, screen aside, the X’s other signature feature is Apple’s new facial recognition which they call FaceID. It’s housed where the notch is.

Did I mention that the X is the first iPhone to feature an OLED display? You know how an iPhone shows a white Apple logo on a black background when you’re booting it up? On pervious iPhones it was more of a white logo on a milky grey background.

Each pixel on an OLED display is able to turn off completely when it’s displaying black. So on the X, it’s a white logo on a completely black background. While it’s new to the X, it’s nothing new to the Samsung Galaxy lineup which has been using OLED displays for around 7 years.
    Name:  IMG_5374.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  40.0 KB
    Since the X screen is completely dark, it really blends in well with the notch. In fact, it blends so well I can’t tell where the screen stops and the notch starts if that part of the screen is displaying black.

Before I can talk about the notch there’s one more thing I need to mention; notifications or rather, Apple’s use of them. On an Android phone, the top of the phone can be covered with them. Whether this is a good or bad thing is a more personal matter - for me I just want to see the battery, time and signal strength and that’s about it. So I personally don’t mind that iOS has under-utilized this area of the screen.

Okay, with all those things in mind, here are my thoughts on the notch:

First off, the fact that the screen blends in perfectly with the notch when it’s displaying back is extremely striking. Maybe I’m easily impressed, but I’ve had my X for a while and I haven’t gotten over how cool it is that the screen sort of wraps around the notch. The fact that the corners of the screen are missing adds to this.

The notch does consume a lot of space at the top of the phone, but there’s just enough left over that I still get the information I want, so while there’s a physical loss, it’s not a big loss for me personally.

Occasionally, I do notice that part of the screen is missing when I’m watching video. However, most of the time I’m not staring at the side of the screen so it’s pretty minor. In fact, sometimes the notch is covered by my hand anyways when I’m holding the phone.

That said, I still have to wonder what my reaction would be if they released a future version of the iPhone that looked like the X but lacked the notch, and instead had a screen that filled that area.

Of course, that would be even better as long as it didn’t compromise any of the other features - the notch also houses a pretty kickass speaker

Carrier
    Freedom Mobile, Koodo, WIND Mobile, Fido
    Feedback Score
    He's back, everybody!

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    I love the notch!
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Phone
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I hate it. That’s why I went with the 8+
    Get cheap calling cards to call anywhere in the world! Click here!

Feedback Score
    I own an iPhone X and the notch is a terrible design choice IMO. I love the rest of the iPhone enough to keep it but when viewing video content I adjust settings to resize video to exclude the notch and create a smaller viewing area. It's usually not much smaller at all but still.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    I guess I am just a “Notch Baby”, LOL!

Feedback Score
    Near the end of this article, the author says he doesn't care about the fact that part of the screen is missing when he is watching a video. I wish he said that at the very beginning of the article so I would know that this is an article that is not worth reading.

Phone
    iPhone X
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've had my X for a few weeks now and still can't get over the notch. It's annoying as hell. I'd rather they reserved that space solely for the status indicators and keep the GUI beneath.

The fact that I can't see my battery percentage, sync status, if my alarm is set, or whether or not Do Not Disturb is turned on without swiping down from the right horn is absolutely ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomgup View Post
    Near the end of this article, the author says he doesn't care about the fact that part of the screen is missing when he is watching a video. I wish he said that at the very beginning of the article so I would know that this is an article that is not worth reading.
    On second thought, maybe I should be more sympathetic about the author of this article. I understand how difficult it was for him to analyze a feature that was "covered by my hand". LOL

DISCLAIMER: This post may be difficult to view if you cover it with your hand.
    Last edited by Pomgup; 02-08-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
    I own an iPhone X and the notch is a terrible design choice IMO. I love the rest of the iPhone enough to keep it but when viewing video content I adjust settings to resize video to exclude the notch and create a smaller viewing area. It's usually not much smaller at all but still.
    Why are you so worried about viewing video content? Haven't you learned from reading the article that viewing video content is so unimportant that it doesn't matter if it is obstructed by a notch, your hand, etc. As the author said, "most of the time I’m not staring at the side of the screen so it’s pretty minor". In fact, the best idea is to cover the entire screen with your hand. Then you won't have to worry about viewing video content at all.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    "The Notch" was a distraction to me when I did a comparison with my old iPhone 7 Plus, 8 Plus and X.
    It was distraction for me when I was viewing videos in landscape mode since my eyes usually "taking in the entire video" from side to side. But also I like the status indicators and the inclusion of "The Notch" blocks most of it so like blacksurfer, I decided to get the iPhone 8 Plus.

"The Notch" was one strike...
    No Touch ID was strike two..and strike three..

Swiping down from the top right for the Control Panel..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    I've had my X for a few weeks now and still can't get over the notch. It's annoying as hell. I'd rather they reserved that space solely for the status indicators and keep the GUI beneath.

The fact that I can't see my battery percentage, sync status, if my alarm is set, or whether or not Do Not Disturb is turned on without swiping down from the right horn is absolutely ridiculous.
    Very well said frail.
    Disclaimer I never owned a apple product.

Haven't bought or used a Samsung phone in at least 5 years. Got 1 or 2 hidden away somewhere, lost don't know where. Just like LG better than any brand.

But I LOVE the Samsung ads dissing iphones. Freakin hilarious ads. The guy with the notched haircut LOL!
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.22.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 04.01.18

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Feedback Score
    I don't own an X, in fact still use a GS7, but I don't understand the notch hate. If they had gone conventional, the 'ears' would be bezel and the entire screen would be smaller. Then again, the smallest screen I view any significant amount of video on is the 8.4" of my Tab S.

Phone
    too many to list
    Carrier
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    the notch doesn’t really bug me that much what dose is the battery percentage not showing as for Touch ID not an deal breaker from what I been reading Samsung will be going in that way soon, I have an note 8 the reason why I use my iPhone X more is for 2 reason battery life is better and stereo speakers , I use Bluetooth headphones but what I am at work or some were else I rather just use the phones speakers and the note 8 crappy speakers is bad and battery life sucked not bad just not good , I am no iPhone fanboy I have always had an iPad but I just like using the x more , I will not buy another slamming with out stereo speakers I mean an 1000 phone should have them simple as that, I will be skipping the galaxy s9 I know that will have stereo speakers but those speakers and the snapdragon 845 is not enough of an upgrade for me to buy the phone when note 9 comes the by then the upgrade would be worth it

Sent from my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son