Thread: What to do with Old TracFones? Unlock-able?

Feedback Score

What to do with Old TracFones? Unlock-able?

Hello Everyone,

I got first Tracfone in Apr 2007. It was a Motorola C155. You can see a picture of it next to my User-id.

Over the years I accumulated several Tracfones, and I was wondering what people do with them? Can they be unlocked and used with another carrier? Do people just toss them out? Give them to some charity? Most of the phones I am talking about are dumb or featured phones like the LG840G.

Thanks
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I got first Tracfone in Apr 2007. It was a Motorola C155. You can see a picture of it next to my User-id.

Over the years I accumulated several Tracfones, and I was wondering what people do with them? Can they be unlocked and used with another carrier? Do people just toss them out? Give them to some charity? Most of the phones I am talking about are dumb or featured phones like the LG840G.

Thanks
    The dumb/feature phones cannot be unlocked. They run a custom firmware that is useless for other companies.

AT&T/Tracfone does not use 2G anymore, so that rules out a number of Tracfones unless there is a way to use them on T-Mobile/Tracfone. But those 2G phones are so old, it's not worth the expense of a new battery, etc.

The Tracfone 3G phones will work. The LG840G still has value.

If you have an old phone that uses Verizon/Tracfone, it will probably work. Especially unactivated as an emergency 911 phone (shelter phone).

The GSM phones will work this way, too, but I think the 2G might be a problem.

Regardless, there is the issue of a decent battery.

I had a couple of V176 that I put into the recycling bin at Target. Seemed like the best thing to do.

I generally sold the other phones in a timely manner while they were still usable.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I have sold on eb*y many of my used Tracfones. You'd be surprised that there are some out there that want an older Tracfone.

Some I have given to people who did not have any cell phone. I usually activate phone with a $20.00 card. I eat the $20.00 but explain how to add airtime.

As stated above there are many charities that would like the old working Tracfones. Some charities of course consider any old cell phone junk.

Only one of my Tracfones went to trash can. That was my first Tracfone - the Motorola Razor. Red LED screen slowly stopped working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks
    Dumbphones can't be unlocked. Smartphones, I don't know. For some uses it doesn't matter. Either way they are not usable as a phone except to activate on Tracfone.

I keep one in the car console with a car charger as a backup for calling 911 or taking a picture. It has been there for about ten years and it still works fine. It is a good idea to keep it in a plastic bag in case the battery leaks.

A 2G GSM phone will only work with T-Mobile. AT&T shut down their 2G. The one I tried did not show that it had signal or service, but did work to call 911.

I keep one loaded with podcasts and music for entertainment in case the power goes out.

Our Sheriff department collects them to give to people for 911 calls.

If it is a smartphone you can use it with Wifi and GPS with Here Maps with maps downloaded to the phone. You only need the Wifi to download the maps.

Otherwise, remove the battery and dispose properly then chuck it in the bin at Best Buy.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know if the Samsung On5 Tracfone can be unlocked?
    Not a big deal if it cannot but I am just curious if it can be.
    My Mom had it for a year and then decided that she didn't really need to keep Tracfone.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for taking time to reply and your good ideas..

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Anyone know if the Samsung On5 Tracfone can be unlocked?
    Not a big deal if it cannot but I am just curious if it can be.
    My Mom had it for a year and then decided that she didn't really need to keep Tracfone.

You should be able to check at tfwunlockpolicy.com .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You should be able to check at tfwunlockpolicy.com .
    Thank you so much for the link.
    I will check it out.

Device(s)
    Samsung Sky (SM-S320VL)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I donate my old ones to a battered womans shelter. 911 will work with or without service so they greatly appreciate the donations.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
    I donate my old ones to a battered womans shelter. 911 will work with or without service so they greatly appreciate the donations.
    That's not as much guaranteed with some of the shutdowns of 2G and 3G towers that's been going on unfortunately. Which is different each for Verizon, AT&T and Tmobile.

Feedback Score
    I think someone said that a test 911 AT&T call went through even though the 2G was technically gone. Maybe it wasn't completely gone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I think someone said that a test 911 AT&T call went through even though the 2G was technically gone. Maybe it wasn't completely gone.
    AT&T says no. They redirected 911 calls to their customer service center a month before the 2G shutdown as a last effort to get you to upgrade. You might could get 911 from T-Mobile if within range of a tower that still has 2G. Not worth it for the reliability risk.