Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Govt warning about Chinese phones!

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Govt warning about Chinese phones!

https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898...t-using-huawei

I realize this should go under android sub forams but since these brands are mentioned here a lot, and as recently as yesterday I was looking to buy one.

Feedback Score
    Seems like this recent government action against Huawei was caused by At&t planning to sell the Mate 10 Pro right next to Samsung and Iphone flagships in postpaid stores. I'm guessing we're seeing Sammy, Apple and Google lobbyist money at work here. Go check the Mate 10 Pro out at Bestbuy when you get a chance and you'll see right away why this phone was a huge threat to current flagship profits. The timing of the At&t Huawei postpaid deal and this latest Government push against Huawei can't be a coincidence. There's a good reason why Google spends 18 million and Apple spends 7 million a year on influencing US government lawmakers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Govt warning about Chinese phones!

Itís not cause of the specs, but the fact that these phones made in China have been sending users data back home without permission. Basically spying on the user itself. Thatís why they are not allowed to be used for official government use.

Itís a huge security issue and a quick google of it will show tons of articles relating to that fact.

If you donít care about your privacy and the fact the Chinese government is creating a profile of you, use the phones. Not like your bank, credit card, and all other personal information you do on your phone is important right?

They just cannot be used as a government phone for that reason, security issues. And thatís why the government is warning consumers.

Edit: I understand these article are old but are still relevant. Please stop spreading false rumors as to why the government is warning users. There is a problem but if you donít care about it, go ahead and use the phones. Att had to drop the contract or lose the government contracts. Thatís why Verizon as well was dropping Huawei.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/1...-security.html

https://www.cyberscoop.com/android-m...-blu-products/

Feedback Score
    To late, been using Huawei and ZTE phones for the last 6-7 years. The Chinese already have all my passwords, grocery lists and dog pictures. Might as well get me a shiny new Mate 10 Pro!!!!

Feedback Score
    I'm going to have a hard time believing every company isn't capable of and/or doing this. Think Lenovo laptops a few years back. I doubt I have anything so personal that isn't already known at this point anyway.

Feedback Score
    Between Apple and Samsung. Wanting to keep the status quo for 1000 dollar flagship phones with their lobbying, and the fact that the NSA is list because Huawei hasn't provided them with back door access like Apple and Samsung do... I can definitely see why this is making the rounds.

Google, Apple, Microsoft, NSA, all these companies do the exact same thing.

Not to mention all the tax breaks and tax evasion strategies by Google and Apple, these are not the most trustworthy companies and government.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    The govt warning private companies to not sell phones without any proof the phone collects data. If it did they would ban them like they ban the Note. They just donít want them to sell well. ATT and Verizon caved because they donít want the stigma. This is pure BS.
    Get cheap calling cards to call anywhere in the world! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    The govt warning private companies to not sell phones without any proof the phone collects data. If it did they would ban them like they ban the Note. They just don’t want them to sell well. ATT and Verizon caved because they don’t want the stigma. This is pure BS.
    I read that At&t caved because they don't wanna lose their very lucrative US government contract. Funny thing is, At&t is selling the dual screen ZTE Axon M under postpaid but it's pretty far from a flagship. I also read that the US government is now pressuring At&t and Verizon to stop selling Huawei and ZTE phones through their prepaid divisions.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    Itís a huge security issue and a quick google of it will show tons of articles relating to that fact.

If you donít care about your privacy and the fact the Chinese government is creating a profile of you, use the phones. Not like your bank, credit card, and all other personal information you do on your phone is important right?
    And Google, Apple, Facebook, SnapChat, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twiiter, the NSA, CIA, FBI (and every other three letter .GOV) isn't doing the exact same thing?

Please...

The average American citizen willingly relinquished their privacy years ago so they could post f-ing selfies or send d!ck pics. And the little bit they thought they hung on to was erased for "national security reasons".

Feedback Score
    I'll preface this by saying I'm the very happy owner of an Huawei Honor 6X:

1) Considering this is the same US government that itself opened up network equipment devices, flashed spyware firmware onto them, repackaged them to look brand new and unsealed, then shipped them all over the world, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Further, Huawei officially lets you unlock the bootloader of most of their phones if you register the phone (and basically agree to void your warranty), meaning you can root it, install permissions managers that provide much more granular control over permissions than Google does, feed fake data to apps, or even flash a non-Huawei or de-Google'd ROM to the phone altogether.

2) Former CIA head Michael Hayden complained how Huawei is basically wiring up Africa for anti-American cyber-espionage. Reports kind of ignore the fact that he's equally PO'd that Huawei has economically shut out American telecom companies in many markets. Perhaps when these guys go looking to find who's fault it is that Huawei is now the largest telecommunications manufacturer in the world they'll look in the mirror. Once Snowden disclosed the NSA is in bed with every major US telecom company, it forced the rest of the world to choose whether they want to be in bed with the US or China; based on Huawei's growth, it is telling that the rest of the world chose China.

Feedback Score
    ZTE has aided genocidal antisemitic terrorists who actively seek to murder every single American and ever single Jewish person, and also assisted North Korea's nuclear weapons aggression, both in violation of laws against such ill-intended actions. They in fact got fined a billion dollars for it.

BLU, aside from the problems of the company remotely bricking phones, has been caught intentionally including spyware in their devices. The problems start there...

I hope the result of this will be for Hauwai to address the issues that have been criticized.
    "Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property." - Milton Friedman.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post
    Not to mention all the tax breaks and tax evasion strategies by Google and Apple, these are not the most trustworthy companies and government.
    These companies pay a massive amount in taxes; and it is plenty. Overtaxation is the real problem, as it forces companies to leave countries that do this and it has a negative impact on jobs. Apple for instance pays over $10 billion in taxes year after year: that's a massive amount of money! And if greedy governments try to steal even more from Apple, don't expect they'd get much of it at all: taxes, after all, discourage the company from engage in the specific activity being taxed. The responsible thing will be for them to legally avoid being robbed even more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    These companies pay a massive amount in taxes; and it is plenty. Overtaxation is the real problem, as it forces companies to leave countries that do this and it has a negative impact on jobs. Apple for instance pays over $10 billion in taxes year after year: that's a massive amount of money! And if greedy governments try to steal even more from Apple, don't expect they'd get much of it at all: taxes, after all, discourage the company from engage in the specific activity being taxed. The responsible thing will be for them to legally avoid being robbed even more.
    Percentage wise, Do they pay the same amount as the average citizen vs income?

Feedback Score
    Not a concern. They already do pay a massive amount of money. I consider them "trustworthy" in this aspect unless they actually do break laws. Billions of dollars paid in tax after "tax breaks" is real money!

Even small reductions in US overtaxation on business are bringing jobs home. Reducing regulation and abolishing forced union membership (" closed shop") nationwide will put even more Americans back to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Not a concern. They already do pay a massive amount of money. I consider them "trustworthy" in this aspect unless they actually do break laws. Billions of dollars paid in tax after "tax breaks" is real money!

Even small reductions in US overtaxation on business are bringing jobs home. Reducing regulation and abolishing forced union membership (" closed shop") nationwide will put even more Americans back to work.
    Exactly right.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast