Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Targeting 325 Million People Covered with LTE in 2018

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    What stinks is that T-Mobile is using 600 to get to that number. If Apple doesn’t have 600 in this years iPhone many people won’t see the coverage.
    Neither does Nokia or Blackberry but I fail to see how it's an issue. Apple has their fight with Qualcomm and that's more important than building band-71 phones. Should the rest of the world come to a grinding halt because of it?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    Claiming coverage of that 3 million and covering them well are two distinctly different things.
    This is kinda my issue. T-Mobile did a “network in-fill” in the county where I grew up which previously did not have a single T-Mobile tower until November 2017. The issue is, coverage is still not great. They added 1 tower to cover a 20 mile stretch of highway. They collocated on a tower in town and collocated on another tower about 13 miles further south along the same highway and that’s it. Now, to me, that’s not acceptable coverage. If you have any attenuation at all on your device you will lose signal. At the edge of the towers, you lose signal. If you go in a home/business, you lose signal. I was just happy that they added coverage and thought that it was just an initial build-out but they say that they sent an engineer to the area and “it’s working as designed” and they have no further plans at this time. And this is coming from Neville Ray’s office, not T-Force. 600 will not be a fix all for this situation as we do have B12 deployed here. So that’s my concern- how well will these areas be covered? Will they have a reasonably spaced grid or will they have 1 or 2 towers per county?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgriffin7622 View Post
    ....600 will not be a fix all for this situation as we do have B12 deployed here. So that’s my concern- how well will these areas be covered? Will they have a reasonably spaced grid or will they have 1 or 2 towers per county?
    I thought the Band 71 will cover areas with Band 12 already, eventually?
    "There is never a need to bash people with disabilities, or racial groups, or ethnic groups, or engage in any other sort of bigoted attacks in Howard Forums. Refrain from doing so not just to keep moderators happy, but in order to be a decent human being."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I thought the Band 71 will cover areas with Band 12 already, eventually?
    It will but my point was that 600 only has slightly more range than 700 so 600 will not fix a sparse tower grid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I do because I spend 99% of my time in areas where people live, work and play.

I agree that carrier maps can be overoptimistic but there is no denying the huge strides in coverage T-Mobile has made over the past 4 years. I'm not even sure AT&T covers this many Americans (US Only not Mexico) with LTE?
    Well, to be honest, those wanting the still large coverage gap closed DO want it to work wherever people live, work, and play Covering 325 million only in their homes is a good start...

(I'm expecting that the 600 mhz coverage expansion will be done and good by about 2020. If it is not, and the T-Mobile network is still, say. only 75% as good as Verizon's, THEN I will grouse. And along with this timeline, I will look for a Pixel 3 with Band 71 at the end of the year, and hopefully it is a Pixel 3 without an LG screen in it)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgriffin7622 View Post
    It will but my point was that 600 only has slightly more range than 700 so 600 will not fix a sparse tower grid.
    That assumes that all 600 will only go on existing 700 towers. I can't see how this is possible, as their map shows vast areas due to get (or getting) 600 mhz that have no T-Mobile towers at all.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    The big reason for the hole right now is that T-Mo does not own any B12 in that area.
    In Rutland right. But in vast other areas, such as leading up to Stratton Mountain and the other 2 ski resorts nearby, there is no coverage at all. T-Mobile owns band 12 there, but they aren't on any towers anywhere in the area. You can drive from Brattleboro up to Stratton and the surrounding areas (approx 1 hour drive), and have no service at all the entire time. That's because T-Mobile isn't on any of the existing towers in that whole area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Honestly, I could care less about POPs. I want square miles. Areas on T-Mobile’s coverage map that show “fair” for miles and miles shouldn’t be counted, as many of these areas are no service.
    I agree 100%. Many areas that are Fair are just No Service. I've hit this in SoCal, Vermont, New Hampshire and Michigan. Even areas tagged as Verified 4g LTE are No Service areas

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Targeting 325 Million People Covered with LTE in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I agree 100%. Many areas that are Fair are just No Service. I've hit this in SoCal, Vermont, New Hampshire and Michigan. Even areas tagged as Verified 4g LTE are No Service areas

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    There’s an area just to the west of my house, which is not far outside the Oklahoma City area that shows “Verified,” but is actually no service. I have also seen these areas in Kansas and Texas. T-Mobile has a lot of work to do. I hope they are up for the task.
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    There’s an area just to the west of my house, which is not far outside the Oklahoma City area that shows “Verified,” but is actually no service. I have also seen these areas in Kansas and Texas. T-Mobile has a lot of work to do. I hope they are up for the task.
    Here's my deal with this statement though. As a former AT&T user I can tell you that some of that orange map in California, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Nevada are "no service," too. Just do a drive down the 10, 40, 15, 25 etc and drive off the beaten path.

Overstating maps is not a T-Mobile only thing. They all do it.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Well, to be honest, those wanting the still large coverage gap closed DO want it to work wherever people live, work, and play Covering 325 million only in their homes is a good start...

(I'm expecting that the 600 mhz coverage expansion will be done and good by about 2020. If it is not, and the T-Mobile network is still, say. only 75% as good as Verizon's, THEN I will grouse. And along with this timeline, I will look for a Pixel 3 with Band 71 at the end of the year, and hopefully it is a Pixel 3 without an LG screen in it)
    Yes it's a huge start! Those last 3 million people covered are spread out over a large rural geographic area. I can't wait.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yes it's a huge start! Those last 3 million people covered are spread out over a large rural geographic area. I can't wait.
    The thing is, a huge proportion of the "325 million" do indeed travel. So it is not just 3 million. So I tend to think that the more meaningful measurement is "covering ALL Americans, where they go in America". So yes, it's ALL the American millions going everywhere, including the 25% or so of the territory that they are catching up on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    What stinks is that T-Mobile is using 600 to get to that number. If Apple doesn’t have 600 in this years iPhone many people won’t see the coverage.
    I think it is fair. T-Mobile WAS way behind, if you start with 2014. It's pretty hard to catch up quickly, and if they use shortcuts such as 600 MHZ to close the gap to make a great network to cover Americans, more power to them.

As for Apple, if the iPhones are at the end of this year are even more out of date, there's nothing stopping cell phone handset buyers from getting one of the models from what will by then be several brands offering 600 mhz handsets. Apple is just one cellphone seller in the US out of many, after all.

It's like with Ford. They sell the most cars in the US. but the ones from other companies are as good or better and drive on the same roads, use the same gas, get the same speeding tickets, have cup-holders for the same sodas, and park in the same parking slots as the Fords do.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, a huge proportion of the "325 million" do indeed travel. So it is not just 3 million. So I tend to think that the more meaningful measurement is "covering ALL Americans, where they go in America".
    There was a recent post on the T-Mobile support site (I'm not sure if it was actually tongue-in-cheek or not) complaining about lack of coverage at a hot springs resort 61 miles NE of Fairbanks, Alaska! T-Mobile doesn't even provide coverage in that region it's roaming on GCI. AT&T doesn't have service there, only Verizon. It appeared that the resort had WiFi, so WiFi calling was offered as a solution.

The point being, that it's possible to get so far out in the bush that a satellite phone is the only reasonable solution. At some point, every carrier says, "That's good enough. We've passed the point of diminishing returns and gone into a negative cost-benefit ratio."

P.S. I'd like to see HAPs used to augment service in remote areas.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I know they're all densifying, deploying small cells/LAA etc here and there and that's great.

But I'm just happy the carrier I use is constantly adding new coverage. It's nice to know that areas of no coverage today might see something in the future; and I'm talking about huge swaths of coverage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast