Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best alternative to Verizon prepaid? Pathetic speeds.

Feedback Score

Angry Best alternative to Verizon prepaid? Pathetic speeds.

Name:  Verizon2.png
Views: 601
Size:  1.10 MB

Name:  Verizon3.png
Views: 602

Name:  Verizon1.png
Views: 591

I've noticed horrible speeds on Verizon since the deprioritization. I travel through out the US, and have noticed bad speeds at airports, malls, stores. Tonight I went to the mall, and it wasn't even that busy and my iPhone would barely load any data. I ran speed tests and you can see the pathetic results. It feels like going back to dial-up, except dial-up was more reliable.

What's the point of paying for Verizon prepaid if you get worse speeds than Sprint? This reminds me of being on Sprint for the last 10+ years.

I'm debating going to GoPhone, but I like to carry phones from 2 different providers for better reliability. Sadly at this point my Cricket phones are working perfectly 99% of the time compared to less than 50% of the time with Verizon prepaid.

I'm so used to not having data now on my Verizon line, it's sad. I need to have reliable service and this is not working for me.

I need something that allows tethering officially. I tether unofficially on Cricket but don't want to run into trouble. Wondering what other options might work.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Name:  Verizon3.png
Views: 602

Name:  Verizon1.png
Views: 591

Name:  Verizon2.png
Views: 601

I've noticed horrible speeds on Verizon since the deprioritization. I travel through out the US, and have noticed bad speeds at airports, malls, stores. Tonight I went to the mall, and it wasn't even that busy and my iPhone would barely load any data. I ran speed tests and you can see the pathetic results.

What's the point of paying for Verizon prepaid if you get worse speeds than Sprint? This reminds me of being on Sprint for the last 10+ years.

I'm debating going to GoPhone, but I like to carry phones from 2 different providers for better reliability. Sadly at this point my Cricket plans are working perfectly 99% of the time compared to less than 50% of the time with Verizon prepaid.

I'm so used to not having data now on my Verizon line, it's sad. I need to have reliable service and this is not working for me.
    What changed with Verizon? Prepaid was always behind postpaid.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post

Someone (a few people?) here insisted that prepaid was never deprioritized before. I never had issues last year, when I moved from post-paid to pre-paid. It was the same excellent service (although even with post-paid LTE, I would have non-existent service in super busy places like Vegas confereces, etc., and still had to fall back on my Cricket phones for service in those venues). All issues started when Verizon introduced the unlimited plans, and started officially deprioritizing prepaid.

Service has been truly pathetic ever since. I feel grateful if I can go over 5mbps most of the time. Sure I'll do a speedtest in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere and I'll get 20 - 40mbps, but I need data when I'm around people and in a semi-busy area. When I have 5 bars of LTE at the airport and can't get anything to load, it's extremely frustrating, to not get data before I take off on the plane.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Someone (a few people?) here insisted that prepaid was never deprioritized before. I never had issues last year, when I moved from post-paid to pre-paid. It was the same excellent service. All issues started when Verizon introduced the unlimited plans, and started officially deprioritizing prepaid.

Service has been truly pathetic ever since. I feel grateful if I can go over 5mbps most of the time. Sure I'll do a speedtest in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere and I'll get 20 - 40mbps, but I need data when I'm around people and in a semi-busy area. When I have 5 bars of LTE at the airport and can't get anything to load, it's extremely frustrating, to not get data before I take off on the plane.
    I'm not sure who would say prepaid isn't behind postpaid in the queue. But it is. There's some debate about whether it's behind Go Unlimited on postpaid. But it's definitely behind real postpaid service.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure who would say prepaid isn't behind postpaid in the queue. But it is. There's some debate about whether it's behind Go Unlimited on postpaid. But it's definitely behind real postpaid service.

Yes, a few long time posters jumped on a few people who dared suggest that Verizon prepaid was deprioritized, in the last year or two I've been visiting this forum. They were pretty adamant about this so I believed them. It seemed to be true until the unlimited plans were rolled out.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, a few long time posters jumped on a few people who dared suggest that Verizon prepaid was deprioritized, in the last year or two I've been visiting this forum. They were pretty adamant about this so I believed them. It seemed to be true until the unlimited plans were rolled out.
    Any chance of jumping to postpaid? How much data do you need?

Feedback Score
    Any chance of jumping to postpaid? How much data do you need?

I need about 10gb per month. I'm paying $50 right now for 16gb per month. Not sure I want to go back to post-paid again. Service wasn't always 100% even on post-paid. I'd hate to go back to 1 carrier but really thinking GoPhone right now since they have tethering on their non-unlimited plans.

Feedback Score
    That wasn't always true. It's a fairly recent change.

Feedback Score
    I'm debating going to GoPhone, but I like to carry phones from 2 different providers for better reliability. Sadly at this point my Cricket phones are working perfectly 99% of the time compared to less than 50% of the time with Verizon prepaid.
    Why go to GoPhone is you already have Cricket and it is working for you? Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T.

If you are looking to add another carrier for reliability and already have Cricket, that leaves Verizon. If Verizon prepaid is too slow for you, that leaves Verizon postpaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Why go to GoPhone is you already have Cricket and it is working for you? Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T.

If you are looking to add another carrier for reliability and already have Cricket, that leaves Verizon. If Verizon prepaid is too slow for you, that leaves Verizon postpaid.
    I need ability to tether without worry. I tether unofficially via Cricket, but they have been cracking down (some people on Reddit got warnings). GoPhone will allow tether on the regular plans. Verizon Prepaid is perfect for my needs, except for the horrible speeds.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've had Verizon Prepaid for a while now and had Verizon postpaid before that and haven't noticed any difference in speed or coverage.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Why not try xfinity mobile and see if that gives you better results?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I guess it's all depending on your location. if you live in a big city, then it'd would be slow. Too many people use it at the same time, I live in big town, my speed is 20 mpps down and about 2 up

Feedback Score
    I've had both post and prepaid and I saw no difference in coverage or 4g speeds

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees65 View Post
    I've had both post and prepaid and I saw no difference in coverage or 4g speeds
    And yet here we are. I didn't see any difference until Q4 last year.

It cracks me up when people say "it didn't happen to me"... until it does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast