Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best alternative to Verizon prepaid? Pathetic speeds.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    16GB for $50??
    you mean counting full rollover from month before?

Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I need about 10gb per month. I'm paying $50 right now for 16gb per month. Not sure I want to go back to post-paid again. Service wasn't always 100% even on post-paid. I'd hate to go back to 1 carrier but really thinking GoPhone right now since they have tethering on their non-unlimited plans.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was at Sugarloaf Mills Mall (formally Discover Mills) NE of Atlanta in Gwinnett County this past Saturday. Mall was EXTREMELY crowded. I decided to do a speed test. I am on the Pre-paid 3GB plan for $40 per month. In the crowded mall on Saturday, I got 42MB/s down, and 11MB/s up. No idea if post-paid was any faster, but I was pleased.

Again I know everything is all about location, location, location. But things looked good here Saturday.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was at a Walmart store this afternoon and saw that they are now offering a Verizon Wireless prepaid plan for $30/mo for ULT&T & 500MB data. Trying to poach a piece of the bottom market from the MVNO's.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe vzw is reading these comments and workingon fixing the data speeds?🤷🏽*♂️ Who knows

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G -> Galaxy Grand Prime -> REVVL, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid, Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trebordet View Post
    I was at a Walmart store this afternoon and saw that they are now offering a Verizon Wireless prepaid plan for $30/mo for ULT&T & 500MB data. Trying to poach a piece of the bottom market from the MVNO's.
    Do they give an extra 1gb of data on this $30/500mb plan too?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by penka View Post
    Do they give an extra 1gb of data on this $30/500mb plan too?
    That was not mentioned anywhere on the sign and I asked the "associate" about the plan but naturally he knew nothing about it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mightynimbus View Post
    16GB for $50??
    you mean counting full rollover from month before?
    That's correct. Sweet plan, but data speeds are killing me. This might be my last month on VZW prepaid.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just ported service from AT&T to Total Wireless yesterday, iPhone 7. Speeds are great in Northern California, 25-70 mb download. Also use AT&T work phone, speeds and coverage no match.......Customer service sucks (located in the Honduras) but.....after you get the line finally ported and the my account registration debacle repaired, smooth sailing now. Will try in Reno, NV this weekend.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's 9:58 pm. mt DL is 13.6 UL is 5.71

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by twiinciity View Post
    Maybe vzw is reading these comments and workingon fixing the data speeds?����*♂️ Who knows
    I doubt it.

I just called Verizon because I was getting equivalent speeds matching a 56kbp modem, and they gave me an excuse as to why they wouldn't be checking the tower in my area. I told the rep that other people on Verizon prepaid are getting poor speeds right now, based on Howard Forums, but they didn't show any interest in fixing things on their end, actually denying they deprioritize on prepaid, even though their terms and conditions read otherwise.

I switched away from Sprint because the towers were so slow and didn't want to fix things. Now I might need to leave Verizon next.

(Full disclosure - I own Verizon stock, and I'm disappointed in myself for it, because it's become such a piece of crap company lately.)

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by computercrashed View Post
    I doubt it.

I just called Verizon because I was getting equivalent speeds matching a 56kbp modem, and they gave me an excuse as to why they wouldn't be checking the tower in my area. I told the rep that other people on Verizon prepaid are getting poor speeds right now, based on Howard Forums, but they didn't show any interest in fixing things on their end, actually denying they deprioritize on prepaid, even though their terms and conditions read otherwise.

I switched away from Sprint because the towers were so slow and didn't want to fix things. Now I might need to leave Verizon next.

(Full disclosure - I own Verizon stock, and I'm disappointed in myself for it, because it's become such a piece of crap company lately.)
    Wow!! I'm in Safety mode right now and I'm getting faster speeds than that.
    128Kbps in Safety mode.

I refuse to give them any more money this month. I just switched from the $50(7GB) to $60(10GB) plan at the beginning of the month. So I'll switch to the $75 unlimited plan in April.

For some reason my data usage from Google Maps sky rocketed six weeks ago to over 600MB a day. So it's screwed with my data usage. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon has blocked using local maps on Google to increase data usage. Which is the only thing I could find that would explain the increase.

But in my area(DC area) while speeds are slower now, I'll still get 50Mb/s speeds. But I used to see double that. So I have no plan on leaving Verizon Prepaid.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Meteor View Post
    I was at Sugarloaf Mills Mall (formally Discover Mills) NE of Atlanta in Gwinnett County this past Saturday. Mall was EXTREMELY crowded. I decided to do a speed test. I am on the Pre-paid 3GB plan for $40 per month. In the crowded mall on Saturday, I got 42MB/s down, and 11MB/s up. No idea if post-paid was any faster, but I was pleased.

Again I know everything is all about location, location, location. But things looked good here Saturday.
    Many malls have DAS systems so a speed test outside would be a better test. At least in my area outside 7 to 9 MB down with deprioritization, in parking lot on my unlimited beyond, inside 75 MB on DAS.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    Wow!! I'm in Safety mode right now and I'm getting faster speeds than that.
    128Kbps in Safety mode.

I refuse to give them any more money this month. I just switched from the $50(7GB) to $60(10GB) plan at the beginning of the month. So I'll switch to the $75 unlimited plan in April.

For some reason my data usage from Google Maps sky rocketed six weeks ago to over 600MB a day. So it's screwed with my data usage. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon has blocked using local maps on Google to increase data usage. Which is the only thing I could find that would explain the increase.

But in my area(DC area) while speeds are slower now, I'll still get 50Mb/s speeds. But I used to see double that. So I have no plan on leaving Verizon Prepaid.
    How long are you using Maps per day to get that usage? I don't see how Verizon could be blocking local maps. Perhaps it is live traffic data that increased.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    How long are you using Maps per day to get that usage? I don't see how Verizon could be blocking local maps. Perhaps it is live traffic data that increased.
    I use it during my commute with Android auto. So around 65 to 90 minutes a day in the car. In the FAQ of Google Maps it does say that certain areas are restricted from using local maps. No idea why or where though. And if Verizon actually has that capability, I wouldn't put it past them using it to make the data usage increase.

I only know that my usage was fine for the first few months I had the car. Then suddenly usage jumped by many gigabytes for google maps. I ended up restricting it from Background usage which helped a little. But it still was using much more than it did previously.

Although once I switch to unlimited prepaid next month, I won't have to worry about it any more.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Many malls have DAS systems so a speed test outside would be a better test. At least in my area outside 7 to 9 MB down with deprioritization, in parking lot on my unlimited beyond, inside 75 MB on DAS.
    Valid point. Next time I am at Sugarloaf Mills Mall, I will test it both outside, and inside the mall, and see if there is any difference.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast