Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best alternative to Verizon prepaid? Pathetic speeds.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    to be honest prepaid customers are treated like step children if you want better service post paid is the way to go

Sent from my Galaxy S9 Plus
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    to be honest prepaid customers are treated like step children if you want better service post paid is the way to go

Retired now...and prepaid has suited me perfect. Lot less money than postpaid, and when you are retired, that helps. Speeds seem adequate, and I have had absolutely (so far), no complaints with the service. Yes, you may not get all the features that postpaid has, but I don't need them. If I was still being a sales road warrior, no question, I would have postpaid, but being retired, don't need postpaid anymore.

100% of my retired friends have a prepaid service with one of the carriers, or they use a MVNO. I don't know any of my friends who have postpaid with any service. (A cousin of mine, and his wife just switched from T-Mobile to Cricket as an example. Another good friend just switched to ATT Prepaid, etc, etc.)

As people retire, you look at things different, and this is one of the things you look at.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    For some reason my data usage from Google Maps sky rocketed six weeks ago to over 600MB a day. So it's screwed with my data usage. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon has blocked using local maps on Google to increase data usage. Which is the only thing I could find that would explain the increase.
    I suggest using Here maps. You can download entire states and run offline. It's not perfect, but it works pretty good.

I tried posting the link to Here on Google Play but was blocked, but you can Google it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computercrashed View Post
    I suggest using Here maps. You can download entire states and run offline. It's not perfect, but it works pretty good.

I tried posting the link to Here on Google Play but was blocked, but you can Google it.
    thanks for the info. But I use Android Auto in the car with the built in car touchscreen.. So I need to use Waze or Google Maps. Otherwise I would need to use my actual cell phone while driving.

And google maps has free near real time traffic info. Which is the reason I use it daily. To be able to see when I need to get on and off the High Occupancy Toll Lanes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the info. But I use Android Auto in the car with the built in car touchscreen.. So I need to use Waze or Google Maps. Otherwise I would need to use my actual cell phone while driving.

And google maps has free near real time traffic info. Which is the reason I use it daily. To be able to see when I need to get on and off the High Occupancy Toll Lanes.

So in your case downloading maps isn't the problem since you're using real time data. Waze or Google maps haven't been data hogs for me could you have made another app change that is causing it?
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    Earlier tonight, I was on highway 124 in Snellville, GA. (east side of Atlanta). Being a Sunday, and also being Easter Sunday, traffic on 124 was medium. It by no means was rush hour type of traffic, but there was still a good bit of medium traffic on the road.

With all of this in mind, I decided to pull over, and do a quick speed test. A reminder, I am on the $40/3GB Verizon Prepaid plan. The speeds I got were 166 down, and 11 up. No idea how that would compare to a typical evening rush hour, but obviously these speeds tonight were excellent!

As has been mentioned before, it is all about location, location, location. Tonight on highway 124 in Snellville, GA the speed was excellent.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    So in your case downloading maps isn't the problem since you're using real time data. Waze or Google maps haven't been data hogs for me could you have made another app change that is causing it?
    It's only Google Maps using all this data. It used 1.25GB of data on Monday, 850MB of data on Tuesday, and this morning it used 613MB of data. And I still need to drive home from work tonight. Prior to a couple of months ago I was only using a couple hundred MBs a day from Google maps. The data usage is just crazy now. And I just don't understand what changed a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I will have no choice but to switch to the unlimited prepaid.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    It's only Google Maps using all this data. It used 1.25GB of data on Monday, 850MB of data on Tuesday, and this morning it used 613MB of data. And I still need to drive home from work tonight. Prior to a couple of months ago I was only using a couple hundred MBs a day from Google maps. The data usage is just crazy now. And I just don't understand what changed a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I will have no choice but to switch to the unlimited prepaid.
    I agree, that's crazy. I wouldn't use Google Maps if it used anywhere near that much data.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Attachment 156529

Attachment 156527

Attachment 156528

I've noticed horrible speeds on Verizon since the deprioritization. I travel through out the US, and have noticed bad speeds at airports, malls, stores. Tonight I went to the mall, and it wasn't even that busy and my iPhone would barely load any data. I ran speed tests and you can see the pathetic results. It feels like going back to dial-up, except dial-up was more reliable.

What's the point of paying for Verizon prepaid if you get worse speeds than Sprint? This reminds me of being on Sprint for the last 10+ years.

I'm debating going to GoPhone, but I like to carry phones from 2 different providers for better reliability. Sadly at this point my Cricket phones are working perfectly 99% of the time compared to less than 50% of the time with Verizon prepaid.

I'm so used to not having data now on my Verizon line, it's sad. I need to have reliable service and this is not working for me.

I need something that allows tethering officially. I tether unofficially on Cricket but don't want to run into trouble. Wondering what other options might work.
    You have different options. You can go with AT&T or T Mobile branded pre paid. You can go with an MVNO like Cricket Wireless or Metro PCS. They have nice phones and features. You can use Sensorly to check out the coverage of each wireless carrier in the areas you will use your wireless service as well. Here is the link. https://www.sensorly.com/

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I need ability to tether without worry. I tether unofficially via Cricket, but they have been cracking down (some people on Reddit got warnings). GoPhone will allow tether on the regular plans. Verizon Prepaid is perfect for my needs, except for the horrible speeds.
    I would suggest T Mobile, Metro PCS, or AT&T Pre Paid formerly GoPhone if you need tethering since they have the best tethering plans.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    my speed isn't bad at now 7:52 pm. I still get 25.2 down and 2.82 up.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Over the last couple of months, I've gone through all the options in Google maps. Nothing made a difference. Everything was fine and then one day Google Maps started using an obscene amount of data.
    I'll know when I switch to unlimited if it was Verizon. Because if I switch got unlimited and if the Google Maps data usage drops , I'll know Verizon caused the issue.

At least with the discount refill pins from Target, the $75 unlimited prepaid plan will cost me just under $65 each month. But I would have preferred to stay on the 7GB or 10GB/$50 or $60 plan with my 1GB of bonus data each month.

I'm just waiting until I get to Safety mode this month before I switch to the unlimited prepaid plan.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Over the last couple of months, I've gone through all the options in Google maps. Nothing made a difference. Everything was fine and then one day Google Maps started using an obscene amount of data.
    I'll know when I switch to unlimited if it was Verizon. Because if I switch got unlimited and if the Google Maps data usage drops , I'll know Verizon caused the issue.

At least with the discount refill pins from Target, the $75 unlimited prepaid plan will cost me just under $65 each month. But I would have preferred to stay on the 7GB or 10GB/$50 or $60 plan with my 1GB of bonus data each month.

I'm just waiting until I get to Safety mode this month before I switch to the unlimited prepaid plan.
    I checked how much data Google Maps used for a one hour trip last week by checking usage before and after and I used about 6 MB for that one hour. I don't think Verizon is doing it, but I don't know why your usage with GMaps skyrocketed like that.

Feedback Score
    The Google Maps app lets you download on the phone (internal or SD) as many maps as you want and save all that data traffic. On settings menu, this is called "Offline Maps".
    And don't use the satellite view, only the actual maps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post

A little bit late to the Verizon prepaid complaint party but add me as another past Verizon customer (with emphasis on past) who was having issues with a prepaid plan. I am in Denver and the speeds had been exceedingly awful in the last few weeks. I had even seen my signal drop completely while driving near the downtown area in the mornings on the weekend (likely not a time in which usage was at its highest), and I was not even in an area with high buildings. Possibly not related to the data throttling but it was one of the last straws. The data deprioritization on the prepaid plans with Verizon is a joke and I was basically getting dial-up speeds if webpages loaded at all. One of the reps at a store basically told me straight to my face I would have to pay more to get faster speeds on one of their unlimited plans. But I didn't understand why I should have been paying $30-40 more per month to have data which is usable when I was already paying $50 a month for a plan which I never even came close to my data limit.

So I said goodbye to Verizon after being a customer about 15 years. And there was no point in trying to troubleshoot with useless comments from tier 2 and 3 support since I already had ported my number. Switched to a MNVO partly based on the manufacturer of the phone which I am currently using, a Pixel. Speeds have already been much better overall. While the overall cost won't change much on my end based on my monthly usage and cheaper plans likely exist, I think it is likely the best recent decision I have made. Plus, the inclusion of international data and messaging are a plus, in that they aren't extra charges.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast