Thread: Small cells and Myrtle Beach SC

Feedback Score

Small cells and Myrtle Beach SC

I am guessing several cell companies will be installing small cell in Myrtle Beach by the summer of 2018

http://m.wmbfnews.com/story/37462709...ell-technology

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    One issue with beach communities is that it's hard to get service from 360º because you normally can't build sites on the water. This means that people right along the shore are usually getting service from only one direction. This can often be shadowed by large buildings. One solution is to put more sites on the roofs of beachfront hotels and condos. At first cut, engineers don't like to do this because they see providing service over the water as a waste (fishermen disagree). I don't see lamp-post and "trashcan" (what idiot came up with that one?) sites to be the answer. Rooftop sites are much more efficient.

Also, in some areas (e.g. Western Gulf of Mexico) there may be legal issues because the spectrum offshore may be licensed to a different company. (n.b. AT&T and Broadpoint had a reciprocal lease agreement covering the 850 MHz cellular bands for the first few miles on and off shore. This allows Broadpoint to build sites on land and AT&T to project their signal several miles out into the Gulf.)
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    One issue with beach communities is that it's hard to get service from 360º because you normally can't build sites on the water. This means that people right along the shore are usually getting service from only one direction. This can often be shadowed by large buildings. One solution is to put more sites on the roofs of beachfront hotels and condos. At first cut, engineers don't like to do this because they see providing service over the water as a waste (fishermen disagree). I don't see lamp-post and "trashcan" (what idiot came up with that one?) sites to be the answer. Rooftop sites are much more efficient.

Also, in some areas (e.g. Western Gulf of Mexico) there may be legal issues because the spectrum offshore may be licensed to a different company. (n.b. AT&T and Broadpoint had a reciprocal lease agreement covering the 850 MHz cellular bands for the first few miles on and off shore. This allows Broadpoint to build sites on land and AT&T to project their signal several miles out into the Gulf.)
    Well at this point LAA Small Cells are using Band 46 for 5 Ghz (WiFi) spectrum which is unlicensed and will have power output restrictions. I can only judge 5 Ghz by the area of my home WiFi which sure doesn't cover a lot of distances. Sure it will work better the on most root tops provide they aren't sky scrapers. However I can see LAA small cells in trashcans for long corridors like in Airports, subways, under ground corridors connecting buildings. I do expect a lot of Street light small cells in metro walking districts and shore lines.

We are not going to see a lot of 600 Mhz or 700 Mhz small cells since that spectrum is focused on Macro Towers. With the 24 Ghz, 28 Ghz to 38 Ghz mmWave technology that are going to be short range that depends on signal reflection, I expect we are going to see a lot of new concepts that just don't fit our current wireless concepts. There are only so many poles, building sides and roofs in a given area, and there is only so much useable space on them. Using that space comes at a premium. As networks move towards 5G the networks simply can't meet that increased demand for 5G without using small cells.

Feedback Score
    I am planning to go to that meeting it’s public. It’s on February 22 at 8 am in the Myrtle Beach convention center

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jacek1982 View Post
    I am planning to go to that meeting it’s public. It’s on February 22 at 8 am in the Myrtle Beach convention center
    Mention that the cylindrical antenna is just part of the installation. The rest requires a box the size of a VRAD that is sometimes installed underground. Carriers may be reluctant to pay for underground installations in an area subject to hurricane storm surges. If there is a hurricane, all the small cells on the beach-front stop working. It's far easier to provide emergency power to standard cell sites.