Thread: considering AT&T Prepaid with tethering

Feedback Score

considering AT&T Prepaid with tethering

I use Cricket and Verizon Prepaid, and am now considering moving from Verizon Prepaid to AT&T prepaid. I used to have Verizon post-paid and it was "ok", but in congested areas like Las Vegas conferences, I'd have to switch to my Cricket phone because Verizon's network would be all clogged up and I'd have nearly no data on Verizon.

Now Verizon Prepaid is getting intolerable with pathetic speeds in many places I go, even with 4 to 5 bars of LTE service. It's worse than Sprint even used to be, sadly.

I travel a lot and like to carry phones from at least 2 carriers, but now it looks like AT&T is the only carrier that works reliably in 99% of the places I go to. (As an aside Verizon's network really is not that impressive, in my extensive experience carrying both AT&T and Verizon all over the country). I'd hate to put all my eggs in one basket, but AT&T has worked so well for me that I'm not too concerned.

That said, I have about 16GB per month (with data rollover) on Verizon, all of it can be used for tethering. What's the best plan on AT&T Prepaid that still includes tethering, and provides the most amount of data? I don't think the unlimited plan will work since most unlimited plans prohibit tethering.

I haven't really kept up on AT&T Prepaid since it changed from GoPhone. Would appreciate any tips / advice on what's best to switch to.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    AT&T PrePaid Unlimited does not allow tethering. Only the 6GB and less plans do.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Moto G5 Plus (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Huawei Honor 7x (AT&T), Axon 7 Mini (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (VZW), HTC 10 (VZW)

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    6gb allows rollover data. By the way. If you are not regularly going over 4 or 5 gigs, like me, I generally have a total of 9 gigs available for when something big comes along and I need the extra data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    6gb allows rollover data. By the way. If you are not regularly going over 4 or 5 gigs, like me, I generally have a total of 9 gigs available for when something big comes along and I need the extra data.
    That's great. With Verizon Prepaid, the way they used the buckets of data was as follows: 1) promo data first (eg Walmart extra 2 gb), 2) roll-over data, and then 3) your regular monthly allotment. That means I generally always had 7gb roll-over in addition to my new monthly allotment.

Does AT&T use the regular monthly allotment first, and then roll-over (which only rolls over 1 month), so you have less to rollover the following months? Or is it more generous like Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    That's great. With Verizon Prepaid, the way they used the buckets of data was as follows: 1) promo data first (eg Walmart extra 2 gb), 2) roll-over data, and then 3) your regular monthly allotment. That means I generally always had 7gb roll-over in addition to my new monthly allotment.

Does AT&T use the regular monthly allotment first, and then roll-over (which only rolls over 1 month), so you have less to rollover the following months? Or is it more generous like Verizon?
    The AT&T plan uses your 6gb of data first then your roll over data

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I haven't really kept up on AT&T Prepaid since it changed from GoPhone.
    You can keep up with it here:
    https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html