Thread: Blocking Phone Spam-- Hiya (i.e. telemarketing, and fraud calls)

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Blocking Phone Spam-- Hiya (i.e. telemarketing, and fraud calls)

In case this helps some other folks. A buddy on ATT showed me their "Call Protect" application which is really cool, and I wish Verizon offered such. I tried buying the Verizon caller name ID for $2.99/mo or whatever, but that's not the right thing. The Verizon rep I called wasn't aware of any paid or unpaid option to block phone spam. BTW- been Verizon customer for years, and only in the last year have I been getting spam calls on my cell. Likely the result of "pro-business" Agit Pai FCC comm. loosening all regulation-- even former good ones.

Anyway, it is possible to download the Hiya application for iOS and Android. See hiya.com for more information. From there, its at least possible to send-to-voicemail suspicious calls. It's been a great help to me. I hope I don't regret this post because I have no idea how legitimate Hiya really is-- except that they appear to be behind ATT's call protect which seems to work well.

The app does tell you it uploads your phone book (if memory serves) so it can 'whitelist' real people. So if you object to this in principal I understand that. In any event, it's something I appreciate and others may benefit. Also, if someone else out there knows a better way, glad to see that feedback here.

-Dan

PS: I don't work for any cellular carriers, nor have any relationship with Hiya. I don't own their stock if they have such, or anything like that. Just appreciate getting fewer spam calls.

Also- there's nothing carrier specific about the Hiya application. I posted only to the Verizon forum because I'm on Verizon. But should it be of help, it would work the same on say Sprint or T-Mobile too. If one has ATT, use "Call Protect" which uses Hiya and has better integration.
    Last edited by dalbrich; 02-09-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I use it as well and have a lot fewer spam calls now. The calls that spoof my area code and prefix still get through sometimes though.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can prevent it from accessing your contacts. It’s not required to use the features Hiya offers.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    Likely the result of "pro-business" Agit Pai FCC comm. loosening all regulation-- even former good ones.
    Not likely. FWIW, this loosening you speak of took place during Obama's administration in mid-2016.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    it’s hard to block those calls every time I block one some how they call back same voice different number and different scam , either health insurance, car insurance, student loans or my favorite the irs saying I owe money if I had the power I would slap the person on the other end of the phone

Sent from my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've tried several of the call blocking apps on various phones and they all work pretty well but none are 100% successful. It's easier to spot a spam caller these days for me since I moved to a different state a few years ago. All spam calls come from my old state area code. My prefix being 329 I get mostly calls spoofing the 329 prefix and I have read they do this to try to make you think it's a legit call. People think they see a familiar number and just automatically answer. I simply don't pick up on a non familiar, non contact listed number. If I miss a call I should have answered which happens rarely, maybe once a month or so I get a VM and I can call back if needed. Simple plan so no spam. Works for me.
    However, it's my private line and not for business. That would be another story.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    it’s hard to block those calls every time I block one some how they call back same voice different number and different scam , either health insurance, car insurance, student loans or my favorite the irs saying I owe money if I had the power I would slap the person on the other end of the phone
    Yes, I agree. It's kind of a moving target and no perfect answers. They just spoof a different number.
    I would say that having some spam control/s is better than none.

-Dan

Feedback Score
    I use Extreme Call Blocker on Android. Excellent. It also uses FCC spam lists and gives you the option (when you enter a number) to send to voice mail or hang up with no voice mail. Also gives you the option of blocking call when call comes in or after call. Never getting spam or telemarketer calls now. Also, when a blocked number tries to call, no ringing and it automatically hangs up (if that is what you select).

Feedback Score
    I have just read an article at https://www.lemberglaw.com/tcpa-comp...rotection-act/ that talks about this matter. I think you might want to read this information. Hope this helps.