Thread: What's the advantage?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question What's the advantage?

I have a T-Mobile ONE plan which is $70, but I've found that the hotspot feature is throttled to "512kbps" although my tests say it is far slower. I temporarily got the $10 add-on to increase my hotspot speed and it was really nice and fast, but I was paying $80/month so I cancelled the add-on and I am back at $70/mo. and now hotspot is extremely slow. Sometimes emails don't send or pages don't load. I don't use hotspot extensively, but when I use it I want it to work.

Now, I am looking at Simple Mobile which for $60 gives me unlimited everything plus 10GB of LTE speeds on the hotspot and unlimited LTE data on the phone. I checked their coverage and it is basically the same as T-Mobile's since they use the same network, except that it looks like T-Mobile can roam in more places when traveling. The other thing is that T-Mobile has visual voicemail on the iPhone whereas Simple Mobile does not. Those two things are not a big deal to me. I can't think of any other differences between T-Mobile and Simple Mobile.

So, aside from that, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't switch to Simple Mobile, and pay $10 less than I pay now and get LTE speed hotspot, whereas with T-Mobile I have to pay more and get a very slow hotspot?

Also, does anyone know if MVNOs like Simple Mobile can use the new T-mobile band 12 (700Mhz)?
    Last edited by bobolito; 02-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Feedback Score
    It sounds like a good deal from what you describe.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    And yes, MVNOs on TMO can use Band 12 (and VoLTE, if your phone has it).

Feedback Score
    Simple Mobile is part of the Carlos Slim phone company family. There's a lot of ferocious anecdotal evidence of terrible customer service from the Carlos Slim, TracFone company. However they don't come across as being so terrible when you look at more objective comparisons.

And on top of that, the process for the TracFone companies is pretty much automatic for the vast majority of people.... only a small minority encounter customer service, which can minimize the impact of it being awful.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobolito View Post
    I have a T-Mobile ONE plan which is $70, but I've found that the hotspot feature is throttled to "512kbps" although my tests say it is far slower. I temporarily got the $10 add-on to increase my hotspot speed and it was really nice and fast, but I was paying $80/month so I cancelled the add-on and I am back at $70/mo. and now hotspot is extremely slow. Sometimes emails don't send or pages don't load. I don't use hotspot extensively, but when I use it I want it to work.

Now, I am looking at Simple Mobile which for $60 gives me unlimited everything plus 10GB of LTE speeds on the hotspot and unlimited LTE data on the phone. I checked their coverage and it is basically the same as T-Mobile's since they use the same network, except that it looks like T-Mobile can roam in more places when traveling. The other thing is that T-Mobile has visual voicemail on the iPhone whereas Simple Mobile does not. Those two things are not a big deal to me. I can't think of any other differences between T-Mobile and Simple Mobile.

So, aside from that, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't switch to Simple Mobile, and pay $10 less than I pay now and get LTE speed hotspot, whereas with T-Mobile I have to pay more and get a very slow hotspot?

Also, does anyone know if MVNOs like Simple Mobile can use the new T-mobile band 12 (700Mhz)?
    Wow dude welcome back. Haven't seen you on these forums in years. I remember the Cingular Indystorm days....

But yes this sounds like a decent plan for anyone wanting a hassle free BYOD plan.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Yeah, Tracfone does have awful customer service. But aside from the actual switch (which they’re somewhat competent at), you probably won’t have to deal with anyone. Just set up autopay.

I had Straight Talk for a couple of years and aside from a few minor things like I visual etc, they were fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I thought all One plans had 10 gig of LTE hotspot and then throttles after that? Or was that a limited promotion?

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    I thought all One plans had 10 gig of LTE hotspot and then throttles after that? Or was that a limited promotion?
    That was a limited time promo T-Mobile ran in the first half of 2017. I believe the promo ended back in April.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobolito View Post

You also have MetroPCS which uses T-Mobile's network. They have a plan at $60 for unlimited talk, text, and LTE data with 10GB hotspot at full speed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1) In congested areas, T-Mobile will prioritize T-Mobile postpaid customers with less than 50 GB used over MVNO users.
    2) No domestic data roaming, most MVNO's also loose domestic Voice and SMS roaming.
    3) Billing cycle is often 30 days (not a full calendar month).
    4) You will loose In flight GoGo Wi-Fi, T-Mobile Tuesdays, Canada, Mexico, and International roaming perks.
    5) Customer support is far less than T-Mobile should you actually need it.

I think MetroPCS is the better option FWIW, but much of the same issues as above.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    If I'm you I stay with T-Mobile, or call to cancel and see if they'll put you on Simple Choice.

And yes it's good to see a longstanding familiar face around here.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score

What's the advantage?

Has anyone been able to get on one of the older tmo plans recently? I figure that’s extremely hard if not impossible to get from T-Mobile at this point

I’d love to get the hookup code they offered last year

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Has anyone been able to get on one of the older tmo plans recently? I figure that’s extremely hard if not impossible to get from T-Mobile at this point

I’d love to get the hookup code they offered last year
    I think it would be hard to get on a pre T-Mobile One plan at this point, especially since Kickback knocks $10 off per line that uses less than 2GB of data per month. Granted, T-Mobile One does not include Music Freedom like Simple Choice plans but it is hard to argue why T-Mobile should place someone on a pre One plan since low data users can get Kickback.

As of late, I have seen a shift in T-Mobile's strategy. They had to compete on price when their network was not as good as it is today. I am thankful to be on a Select Choice family plan with 9 lines and pay around $90 per month (through various free line promotions and from being migrated from a Bridge To Value Family Time 1000 plan). I do have Music Freedom and Binge On and both of these features are nice.

However, Binge On, as of the last 2 billing cycles, is giving me some trouble. Netflix and YouTube are supposed to be zero rated but they are actually consuming my high-speed data. Doing a device restart usually fixes the issue but I have to monitor my usage much closer than I ever had to in the past. Maybe it's a glitch and perhaps it's T-Mobile trying to get people to switch to a more expensive plan. Calling T-Mobile's Technical Support Team is almost a joke as they file a ticket to "call me back" in a few days and sometimes they will credit my account a Data Stash allowance. But regardless, it has become more of a chore to monitor my data usage than it was in the past, at least from my experience as of the past couple of months.

Sorry, end rant and derailment. ;--)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schippma View Post
    I think it would be hard to get on a pre T-Mobile One plan at this point, especially since Kickback knocks $10 off per line that uses less than 2GB of data per month. Granted, T-Mobile One does not include Music Freedom like Simple Choice plans but it is hard to argue why T-Mobile should place someone on a pre One plan since low data users can get Kickback.

As of late, I have seen a shift in T-Mobile's strategy. They had to compete on price when their network was not as good as it is today. I am thankful to be on a Select Choice family plan with 9 lines and pay around $90 per month (through various free line promotions and from being migrated from a Bridge To Value Family Time 1000 plan). I do have Music Freedom and Binge On and both of these features are nice.

However, Binge On, as of the last 2 billing cycles, is giving me some trouble. Netflix and YouTube are supposed to be zero rated but they are actually consuming my high-speed data. Doing a device restart usually fixes the issue but I have to monitor my usage much closer than I ever had to in the past. Maybe it's a glitch and perhaps it's T-Mobile trying to get people to switch to a more expensive plan. Calling T-Mobile's Technical Support Team is almost a joke as they file a ticket to "call me back" in a few days and sometimes they will credit my account a Data Stash allowance. But regardless, it has become more of a chore to monitor my data usage than it was in the past, at least from my experience as of the past couple of months.

Sorry, end rant and derailment. ;--)
    Technical support team isn't much until you go at least one level up.
    I just migrated my lines from the old Simple Choice to the discounted T-Mobile One plan. It works out about the same with 4 lines, and in theory, since 2 of my lines don't really get any use... it'll actually be cheaper. Bad part is autopay.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.