Thread: Dominican Republic (Punta Cana)

Feedback Score

Dominican Republic (Punta Cana)

Looking for some info in regards to service in the DR. I have T mobile one plus which are supposed to have faster speeds in DR. To my understanding with customer service rep data and texting are completely free and calls are .20 a minute incoming and outgoing. If I use whats app im assuming thts free correct? The biggest question is how is the "actual" service there? Anyone tht has been there recently please help me out, I have searched the internet and have all old info. thanks

Feedback Score
    I was there last year. I am on a simple choice plan, so I did not have high speed LTE, But coverage at least was good. Didn't get off the beaten path though, not sure what your use case will be. Mostly used Claro if I recall.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes. Coverage is decent for an island especially in the tourist areas. Yes on your plan texts are free and data is free but I believe called at 512kps. Calls are .20 a minute to and from DR. You don’t have to do anything with your phone. Just land and get off the plane. This is one of the reasons I like T-Mobile and how ATT and Verizon are so different when it comes to traveling.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    CellMapper.com shows Claro and Orange both have LTE at Punta Cana. Viva has UMTS. If you have an Android phone, you might want to map your visit with CellMapper.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    ok great I was hoping the t mo one plus would make a difference and also using whatts app shouldn't be .20 a minute correct? Caller customer service twice and got two different answers.

Device(s)
    iP7, GS8, Galaxy Tab S3, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hop112 View Post
    ok great I was hoping the t mo one plus would make a difference and also using whatts app shouldn't be .20 a minute correct? Caller customer service twice and got two different answers.
    I’m not too familiar with WhatsApp, but if it runs on data, it shouldn’t cost you anything.
    --Bentley

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    WhatsApp uses data; won't cost you extra. Same goes for Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Skype, etc.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Your data speed will be limited to 256 or 128 K depending on what plan you are on. You can roam on viva orange and Claro. Viva is edge so your only two options is Claro and Orange. Both networks can get congested so best pick which one works for you. The better coverage network is Claro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    Yes. Coverage is decent for an island especially in the tourist areas. Yes on your plan texts are free and data is free but I believe called at 512kps. Calls are .20 a minute to and from DR. You don’t have to do anything with your phone. Just land and get off the plane. This is one of the reasons I like T-Mobile and how ATT and Verizon are so different when it comes to traveling.
    I was in the DR back in September. On the T-Mobile 55 plus plan what obeythelaw said is correct. Data was slow. SMS texts worked great MMS not so good. Just having the ability to text my kids for free made me a happy camper.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app