Thread: WWOR TV My9 (NYC) to move March 5, 2018. Hello Band 71 in NYC

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

WWOR TV My9 (NYC) to move March 5, 2018. Hello Band 71 in NYC

Well WWOR was set for Feb 15th but the channel will be repacked in early March. Band 71 is coming to New York City.

Rescan your TV to see My9...

It has been touch and go about the move of WWOR from NJ back to NY.

" New Jersey's two U.S. senators charged Secaucus-based Channel 9 with failing to live up to its federal mandate to cover its hometown state, and wants the Federal Communications Commission to do something about it."
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-11-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is good news for us in the NY/NJ area. Wonder if T-Mobile will officially announce band 71 in NYC/NNJ area after March 5.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not a chance. They still need to install antennas and RRUs to make it work which could take awhile.They might be able to fire up a few sites within a few months but the permitting process will take some time.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Not a chance. They still need to install antennas and RRUs to make it work which could take awhile.They might be able to fire up a few sites within a few months but the permitting process will take some time.
    And what makes you think that T-Mobile would just now start the permitting process? They knew L600 was coming across the country for a while and plans have been in the works for some time.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I imagine they'll first target the towers where B12 is most congested; they can start off with 5x5 B71.

T-Mobile did notify a low power station in Scranton (which is part of the NYC 600 license) that they'll be starting 600MHz operations by April 20, 2018.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    And what makes you think that T-Mobile would just now start the permitting process? They knew L600 was coming across the country for a while and plans have been in the works for some time.
    Exactly since T-Mobile paid WWOR TV to move with an agreement made on October 10, 2017 there is no reason for them to wait until now to permit those upgrades. Really why pay for WWOR to move early if you aren't going to file permits until they leave the spectrum that will add months of extra time for the upgrade? That isn't how Neville Ray rolls.

T-Mobile Partners with FOX TV’s WWOR to Move Spectrum Frequencies Faster and For Less

However someone said on Reddit that WEDW-TV (Ch 49 PBS Bridgeport CT) and WLNY-TV ( Ch 47 CBS-Sports Nassau and Suffolk counties) are still problematic for Long Island.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-12-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Pity about Dish Network's spectrum hoarding and the limited 71 bandwidth that has resulted in certain larger markets like New York. I will be curious to see how T-Mobile handles the limitation.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    Pity about Dish Network's spectrum hoarding and the limited 71 bandwidth that has resulted in certain larger markets like New York. I will be curious to see how T-Mobile handles the limitation.
    Isn’t there a rule that says at some point you have to use it or lose it?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    T-Mobile has 10x10 Mhz of 600 Mhz and 5x5 Mhz of 700 Mhz in NYC area. With those two T-Mobile has 102 Mhz total of non-mmWave spectrum in NYC. PCS 20 Mhz and AWS 50 Mhz will always be the backbone for this concrete & steel skyscraper jungle. This Band 71 and B12 is great for building penetration but not for great for a city that has about 11 million people in a normal weekday. The new small cell Band 46 (5 Ghz) is going to improve street and inside building coverages. By Q4 of 2018 T-Mobile will be deploying it's 200 Mhz of 28 Ghz mmWave in NYC that band will be added to 2019 phones for 5G.

With all the new 24 Ghz and CBRS Spectrum Auctions that is in the works by the FCC, I think DISH has over paid for their 600 Mhz spectrum.