Thread: Use tablet only SIM in unlocked cell phone(for data-only service)

Feedback Score

Use tablet only SIM in unlocked cell phone(for data-only service)

I have an unlocked Moto E4 in the car as a dedicated Android Auto device. It uses tethered data from my primary phone(iPhone). It works reasonably well, but I had to turn Personal Hotspot to discoverable every time I get into the car for Moto E4 to pickup the WiFi.

I'm wondering if I can add a $10 tablet only SIM card to the Mobile Share Flex plan and use it in the phone? I don't need talk/text, so I'd rather not to pay for the $20 phone SIM if possible.

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it will work. From when I was a CS rep for At&t, the billing system would recognize the device and/or/could change your plan to compatible one based on the device you use the SIM in. I won't say it will definitely happen, only that it would likely happen.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    I have been using an AT&T SIM from a data-only plan in a phone for quite some time now with no problems (and AT&T certainly knows where the SIM is because the phone shows up as the installed device on my online account page.) Data works on the phone but no voice or text of course since they are barred on the account, and native tethering is disabled. But otherwise it works fine, and I simply use Google Hangouts if I need voice or text. This is technically against AT&T's ToS (you are allowed move a SIM between devices in the same category, i.e. phone to phone, hotspot to hotspot, etc., but you're not supposed to move it between categories) however they seem pretty liberal in allowing it nonetheless. No guarantees though.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score
    I did this for a short while on tmobile with the 10 dollar 1 gig prepaid plan imessage FaceTime Signal & Google Hangouts made for a more than adequate SMS MMS / Voice solution.

It was actually really great. Ten bucks and I had unlimited calling texting with light data consumption to boot.

Was quite a steal.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Used the at&t tablet plan on a Moto G4 for a good couple of years for data only. Used it to connect to my office sip server and it worked extremely well. Make sure your apn is set to "Broadband"

Feedback Score
    What is this $10 data only plan? are you talking about the unlimited data for basic phones?

prepaid / postpaid??