Thread: Seeking T-Mo HSPA+ "faux-G" service

Device(s)
    Galaxy S4, HP Veer, HP Pre3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Seeking T-Mo HSPA+ "faux-G" service

I'm using an ATT branded but unlocked, "4G" but not LTE, device called Veer by HP. Its H+ runs on 1900 and 2100.

I had been receiving data successfully for a year, with either a 3G or H+ symbol, testing between 5-9Mbps.

Recently I'm only getting Edge at 200kbps. There seems to have been a change. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? Is it no longer able (for non T-Mo devices migrated before LTE) to receive the H+ service?

Thanks for any information you may provide. Otherwise i may have to move to another provider, if there are any providing H+.

Anyone using H+? I need it to listen to Pandora commercial-free on an obsolete app.

Feedback Score
    Most likely they refarmed the bands they were using for HSPA+ for LTE. What market are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgriffin7622 View Post
    Most likely they refarmed the bands they were using for HSPA+ for LTE. What market are you in?

As mentioned above, T-Mobile is converting the 1900MHz band to LTE; in some markets there's no more 1900MHz HSPA+.

Your best bet is AT&T or an AT&T MVNO. They've shut off 2G (EDGE) but no plans of turning off HSPA+.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    I second the AT&T MVNO recommendation but just keep in mind you’re fighting a losing battle. Carriers will continue to refarm spectrum that’s allocated to legacy networks for LTE especially with 5G on the horizon. So AT&T may still be operating H+ on 1900 in your area now but they will keep slicing off pieces until it’s completely gone. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but just something to keep in mind.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S4, HP Veer, HP Pre3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the prompt responses!

I was looking for, and failing to receive, H+ in both Atlanta and Trenton. So it appears t-mo is sitting to LTE and dumping all H+around me.

But fortunately the ATT group advised me they still receive H+ quite a bit. So it looks like I'll be migrating this device back to its original carrier.

Recommendations for a cheap carrier are welcome. This device is mainly used as a Pandora streamer, very few calls or text on it.

Thanks again!

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Might be time to upgrade to a cheap LTE phone, as a alternative.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Doesn’t EDGE work fine for Pandora, phone calls, and texts? I mean, if that’s all you’re using it for...

Feedback Score
    Hmm although I'm in Canada I feel they should leave something on HSPA, I found that channel width can be as narrow as 1.25 Mhz for HSPA. Not a ton of capacity mind you, but what about all the international roamers who won't get VoLTE because its not a branded t-mobile one?

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Hmm although I'm in Canada I feel they should leave something on HSPA, I found that channel width can be as narrow as 1.25 Mhz for HSPA. Not a ton of capacity mind you, but what about all the international roamers who won't get VoLTE because its not a branded t-mobile one?
    Those roamers will get 2G for the time being. That too will be gone at some point. Eventually the carriers will have to work to get VoLTE to work for all handsets like 2G and 3G.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser09 View Post
    Those roamers will get 2G for the time being. That too will be gone at some point. Eventually the carriers will have to work to get VoLTE to work for all handsets like 2G and 3G.
    Or they could roam on AT&T 3G?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Or they could roam on AT&T 3G?
    That would depend on if the carrier they have has a roaming agreement with AT&T. VoLTE will become standardized to where it works across carriers/phones just like 2G and 3G. I would personally prefer to see 2G shutdown and leave a small slice of 3G for a few years. Isn't 2G suppose to be shutdown in the 2020 timeframe? I think most carriers are planning on getting rid of the legacy systems in the near future as it costs a lot of money to keep those systems going.