Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon locking phones this spring

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    It's simple. Unlock on request, no time limit. Phone must be completely paid off.
    Well, no it isn't that simple. The reg says this:

(e)Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16

There's no exception for devices that aren't paid off.

And from what Verizon reps are posting elsewhere, the device needs to be activated on a Verizon account to be unlocked, which isn't in compliance with the regulation either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I think they are catching on to these people opening accounts just to let discounted phones
    That's exactly what this is about and it is very shady of Verizon to lie and claim it has something to do with theft. It doesn't.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Bummer. Worst news of the day!

Unlocked devices (especially iOS) were always a shining beacon of light on the Big Red side.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Well, no it isn't that simple. The reg says this:

(e)Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16

There's no exception for devices that aren't paid off.

And from what Verizon reps are posting elsewhere, the device needs to be activated on a Verizon account to be unlocked, which isn't in compliance with the regulation either.
    Indeed. Perhaps I should start an account with Verizon now to get in on the lawsuit that will happen.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There won’t be any lawsuits, just like there weren’t when Verizon was “blatantly” violating FCC rules by deprioritizing data and limiting mobile hotspot according to the Internet armchair lawyers. LOL

Feedback Score
    There won’t be any lawsuits
    I am not sure individual consumers can sue for damages, I would have to research it. But someone could file a writ of mandamus to force the FCC to enforce the regulations. But there is no money in it, so you would have to pay all the costs of the lawsuit yourself and wouldn't get any money damages to compensate you for your costs. That's why no one does it, because they would have to pay out of pocket to bring such a suit.

You could ask the judge to award you attorneys' fees and costs but that is not guaranteed. So you would have to be willing to pay yourself for the cost of this.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At least those of us who purchase with the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program won’t be subjected to this.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that they will require that the device be paid off in full and that the line must be active for 60 days just like AT&T requires.

I wonder how this will affect the US Reseller Flex Policy iPhones? I suspect that using a Verizon SIM for the initial activation of a USRFP iPhone will lock them to Verizon with no way to unlock them unless you are a postpaid customer for the minimum time period required for unlocking them.
    I suspect that too. The claim I read is that it won't need to be paid off.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    At least those of us who purchase with the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program won’t be subjected to this.
    Yes but those of us who liked to get discounted phones from Best Buy may very well be affected by this.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes but those of us who liked to get discounted phones from Best Buy may very well be affected by this.
    Not if you're not doing anything out of the ordinary. I purchased my Pixel 2 from Best Buy and I am getting my $16.50 promo credit every month like normal.

If I decide to cancel Verizon, I just pay off my installments and leave. If they immediately unlocked the phone when paid off, then what is the issue?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    HoFoers were right when we predicted that Verizon would continue pushing the boundaries of its agreement with the FCC after Trump took office (since Trump is notoriously pro-deregulation). First it was deprioritizing, then video throttling, and now device locking.
    I’m confused. So it’s Trumps fault that people are opening accounts/adding lines then closing the lines to sell the devices for a profit without paying off the initial agreement? And as far as throttling/device priority, I’m pretty sure Trump doesn’t control how Verizon runs its network.

Although I’m not a big fan of locking phones because it makes it risky buying a phone from anyone but a retailer risky I can understand why they do it.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just read the article. Need more details on this policy, but i agree with at&t policy, locked until it's paid for. I know this won't be popular with a lot of people, but technically carrier owns the phone until it's paid for, if you travel overseas your will need a paid off phone to unlock it. I also agree with the locked until it reaches the intended person, the phone shouldn't even work until successfully activated from intended user.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Iphone 4, haven't looked back..

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I’m confused. So it’s Trumps fault that people are opening accounts/adding lines then closing the lines to sell the devices for a profit without paying off the initial agreement? And as far as throttling/device priority, I’m pretty sure Trump doesn’t control how Verizon runs its network.

Although I’m not a big fan of locking phones because it makes it risky buying a phone from anyone but a retailer risky I can understand why they do it.
    Trump has been openly pressuring government agencies to relax regulations on businesses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTsucks View Post
    Technically carrier owns the phone until it's paid for.
    No, these are unsecured consumer loans, the buyer owns the phone from day 1. Even if these were secured loans, the buyer is still the owner, it is just that the lender has a lien on the property.

But these loans aren't secured loans anyhow, they are unsecured consumer loans, just like a credit card.

Feedback Score
    If they immediately unlocked the phone when paid off, then what is the issue?
    I guess you haven't been paying attention, the issue is the terms of the licenses and the regulations that say handset locking is prohibited.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast