Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Verizon locking phones this spring

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    No, these are unsecured consumer loans, the buyer owns the phone from day 1. Even if these were secured loans, the buyer is still the owner, it is just that the lender has a lien on the property.

But these loans aren't secured loans anyhow, they are unsecured consumer loans, just like a credit card.
    So let's say you leave a carrier and don't pay the phone off, can the carrier report that on your credit report with a non payment?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Iphone 4, haven't looked back..

Feedback Score
    I bought my iPhone X( vzw edition)from Apple paid full price. Will this effect me also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbudha View Post
    I bought my iPhone X( vzw edition)from Apple paid full price. Will this effect me also.
    No, you already bought it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTsucks View Post
    So let's say you leave a carrier and don't pay the phone off, can the carrier report that on your credit report with a non payment?

When you leave the DPP balance dumps to the final bill. So of course they can do that, just like if you don't pay your credit card, or power, or water bill they can report you. But that has nothing to do with ownership of the device.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    When you leave the DPP balance dumps to the final bill. So of course they can do that, just like if you don't pay your credit card bill they can report you. But that has nothing to do with ownership of the device.
    True, I guess I just don't consider anything truly mine until it's paid for, that's just my thinking, I understand the unsecure debt, I had a lapse of thinking when I was thinking the carrier owns the phone, I just have that thinking it isn't mine until it's paid off. With the phone it is, but credit damage could occur.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    True, I guess I just don't consider anything truly mine until it's paid for, that's just my thinking, I understand the unsecure debt, I had a lapse of thinking when I was thinking the carrier owns the phone, I just have that thinking it isn't mine until it's paid off. With the phone it is, but credit damage could occur.

The best analogy of these DPPs is what I read here - let's say you buy something with your credit card but don't pay off your cc bill. Does your cc company own what you bought with your credit card until you pay off your balance? No, they don't. And if you skip out on your credit card bill, they have no rights to the items you purchased with your cc. But they can report you to the credit reporting agencies and also sell the debt to a debt collector if you don't pay your cc bill.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Just like any credit card debt yes it can be reported to collections if you don’t pay the bill off. The company you buy the phone from owns the debt not the item. Think about it like this. If you open a credit card and buy 500 In groceries can the credit card company come and take the groceries if you don’t pay the bill?

I do agree that device locking should not occur cause it’s the same concept(unsecured line of credit loan) but as stated I understand why carriers find a way to do it. Their is still a big loop hole regarding time. Locking a device will not stop people from opening lines and selling devices bthey will still do it then 3 months into the new owner using the device it will lock after lack of payment from the original owner.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I could be wrong but in the past when you would buy the device for 199.99 and be locked into a 2 year contract then yes the carrier does own the phone. Now you buy the card through a credit card financing company so the credit card company owns the debt not the device. The big problem is now a days people don’t really care about having debt. They just get what they want and wait the 3-5 years till the debt falls off their credit score or just declare bankruptcy and reorganize the debt.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    None of these details matter. Verizon signed an agreement to never lock phones. There was nothing in there about exceptions being allowed.

(e)Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    HoFoers were right when we predicted that Verizon would continue pushing the boundaries of its agreement with the FCC after Trump took office (since Trump is notoriously pro-deregulation). First it was deprioritizing, then video throttling, and now device locking.
    ALL the carriers have been locking devices and this has been going on for some times. Verizon starting to do it really isn't anything new. Now, Depending on previous agreements they may have signed comes into question.

For now they aren't changing policy on unlocked non Verizon devices.

At the end of the day it falls in line with what everybody else is doing and will unlock the device provided it's been paid off.

As for T-Mobile who everybody seems to love started the video throttling drama showing that it was okay and consumers love it!

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    ALL the carriers have been locking devices and this has been going on for some times. Verizon starting to do it really isn't anything new.

T-Mobile who everybody seems to love started the video throttling drama showing that it was okay and consumers love it!

For now they aren't changing policy on unlocked non Verizon devices.
    As I already said, the issue is that Verizon is violating an agreement they already signed. They are breaking the law, which the FCC is showing no signs of enforcing, probably due to the incumbent administration’s insistence on deregulation of businesses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I could be wrong but in the past when you would buy the device for 199.99 and be locked into a 2 year contract then yes the carrier does own the phone.
    You are definitely wrong. You signed a 2 year service contract, if you breached it all the carrier can do is go after you for the ETF. The carrier never owned the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    None of these details matter. Verizon signed an agreement to never lock phones. There was nothing in there about exceptions being allowed.
    It's the terms of the spectrum license enforceable by the FCC. If the FCC won't enforce it, consumers can file a writ of mandamus to get a judge to order the FCC to enforce the regulations.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    ALL the carriers have been locking devices and this has been going on for some times. Verizon starting to do it really isn't anything new.
    Totally irrelevant. Verizon's Band 13 licenses prohibit them from SIM locking any Verizon branded phone that has Band 13 enabled. And it is totally new for Verizon to blatantly disregard the Band 13 license terms.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast