Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 168

Thread: Verizon locking phones this spring

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    72
    Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    From the CNET Article

    "Even after the change, Verizon will continue to unlock the phone regardless of whether it's paid off. The company will also still accept unlocked phones from other carriers. "

    So they'll unlock on request?

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    810
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    As I already said, the issue is that Verizon is violating an agreement they already signed. They are breaking the law, which the FCC is showing no signs of enforcing, probably due to the incumbent administration’s insistence on deregulation of businesses.
    Depends how you look at that agreement. Verizon could fire back with a legal argument that they are not preventing a phone form ever being used on a network as they will unlock it provided you have meet the unlock requirements.

    Nothing in regards to unlocking tho so i guess it depends on how your interpret it. If you read it word by word than they are in violation.

    To be quite honest tho this affects very few consumers provided Verizon does unlock devices without hassle and follows the policy of the rest of the carriers.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    274
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    As I already said, the issue is that Verizon is violating an agreement they already signed. They are breaking the law, which the FCC is showing no signs of enforcing, probably due to the incumbent administration’s insistence on deregulation of businesses.
    So Verizon choosing not to follow an agreement they signed is this administrations fault how. How about we keep politics out of this forum.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    872
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    Depends how you look at that agreement.
    It's not an agreement, it is the terms of the licenses. The rest of what you wrote is nonsense.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    872
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    So Verizon choosing not to follow an agreement they signed is this administrations fault how. How about we keep politics out of this forum.
    They are emboldened because their boy Asheet Pai, a former Verizon lawyer, was appointed by the orange oompa loompa who resides in the white house.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    810
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    It's not an agreement, it is the terms of the licenses. The rest of what you wrote is nonsense.
    If you go by the literately meaning word by word they are in violation. If it goes to court they will debate it and come with some challenge is what I am trying to present here or find some way to wiggle themselves out of it.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    872
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    If you go by the literately meaning word by word they are in violation. If it goes to court they will debate it and come with some challenge is what I am trying to present here.
    If all you are saying is that they would respond with nonsense, yes, that is what they would do since there is no cogent argument that they aren't in violation of the terms of the block c licenses if they do what CNet is reporting that they are going to do.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,132
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    And the internet lawyers are already prepping their “lawsuits” just like that other guy who was “fighting Verizon”
    With epic FCC complaints.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    872
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    And the internet lawyers are already prepping their “lawsuits” just like that other guy who was “fighting Verizon”
    With epic FCC complaints.
    Peeps need to file a writ of mandamus if the FCC won't enforce the regulations. The problem is what I said before - there aren't any money damages so no lawyer is going to take the case without you paying them an hourly fee. That would get real expensive, real quick.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,132
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    If Verizon doing this means they aren’t going to pass along the costs of these cheapskates circumventing normal checks and balances, then I’m all for it. Lock away!

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    274
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    They are emboldened because their boy Asheet Pai, a former Verizon lawyer, was appointed by the orange oompa loompa who resides in the white house.
    So. They still have to follow whatever agreements are in place regardless of who is in office. If Verizon decides not to follow their agreement then it falls on Verizon and no one else. And if it’s determined to be illegal then Verizon will be responsible for whatever the outcome is because I’m sure people will sue over it if it is illegal.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    810
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just to add to the thread on a Verizon Reddit thread somebody is calming that as soon as the phone is activated or sold from a POS system it is activated it becomes unlocked.

    If this is true or not we'll see so take it with a grain of salt since I'm not really sure how that would work. Most SIM locks require a unlock code to be entered.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    872
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    So. They still have to follow whatever agreements are in place regardless of who is in office. If Verizon decides not to follow their agreement then it falls on Verizon and no one else. And if it’s determined to be illegal then Verizon will be responsible for whatever the outcome is because I’m sure people will sue over it if it is illegal.
    The license terms and the regulations are enforced by the FCC. The FCC is controlled by Asheet Pai, a former Verizon attorney. If he refused to enforce the terms of the licenses and the regulations, your remedy as a Verizon customer is to file a writ of mandamus to ask a judge to order Asheet to enforce the terms of the licenses and regulations. That's a complicated legal argument and no attorney will fight Verizon for free, so you would pay literally tens of thousands of dollars maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars to win this lawsuit.

    The only way I think there is a claim for money damages is perhaps if you claim that you didn't stay on Verizon service long enough to get the device unlocked, you sold the phone and it was worth less than what you could have sold it for had it been unlocked. However, remember that the customer agreement precludes class action suits. Idk if you could get a court to rule that provision was unenforceable due to it being an adhesion contract.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    274
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    If Verizon doing this means they aren’t going to pass along the costs of these cheapskates circumventing normal checks and balances, then I’m all for it. Lock away!
    This is similar to other business. When you buy fruit from a store you pay an extra few percent because they know a certain amount of the food will expire and be thrown away. Same with TV’s and other electronics. Instead of paying 500 for that TV you pay 510. The business accounts for a certain percent of the items to be stolen or damaged. As usual the business passes that extra cost to the consumer instead of eating it.

    Which is why I said even though I don’t agree at all with them locking phones I understandably they do it. Plus their may be some loophole that the carriers are using saying it’s not them locking the phone it’s the company that you are financing the phone through that is doing it. I have never actually read the 20 page document that accompanied your device purchasing agreement so god only knows what Is in it.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    872
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    Just to add to the thread on a Verizon Reddit thread somebody is calming that as soon as the phone is activated or sold from a POS system it is activated it becomes unlocked.
    For now yes, but according to CNET, later in the Spring Verizon is going to require a certain minimum time period that the device must be active on a Verizon line before it can be unlocked.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any word on new phones this spring?
    By codwif in forum MTS
    Replies: 477
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM
  3. Should I wait for the new phones this Spring?
    By clozecall in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
  4. does verizon lock phones?
    By ProwlingTiger11 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 10:21 AM
  5. Verizon-Locked Phones?
    By rarora in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2002, 11:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks