Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Verizon locking phones this spring

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    If Verizon doing this means they aren’t going to pass along the costs of these cheapskates circumventing normal checks and balances, then I’m all for it. Lock away!
    Good thing you and others ignorant of the law and the regulations don't get to determine these things, lol!

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    For now yes, but according to CNET, later in the Spring Verizon is going to require a certain minimum time period that the device must be active on a Verizon line before it can be unlocked.
    I guess we'll see what their official policy and unlock policy will be since it seems to be a lot of 3rd party information right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    I guess we'll see what their official policy and unlock policy will be since it seems to be a lot of 3rd party information right now.
    CNET claims that Verizon executives are the ones who gave them the info.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good thing you and others ignorant of the law and the regulations don't get to determine these things, lol!
    And it’s a good thing internet lawyers like you don’t get to enforce your own interpretations of the law LOL

Funny thing is that Verizon is likely using a specially crafted loophole, similar to the loopholes all these scammers use on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Funny thing is that Verizon is likely using a specially crafted loophole
    You can't get anything right, lol! No such thing. This is run of the mill corruption and cronyism if Asheet Pai allows it to happen. No loophole at all.

But you, you just can't get anything right, lol!

Device(s)
    IPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    You can't get anything right, lol! No such thing. This is run of the mill corruption and cronyism if Asheet Pai allows it to happen. No loophole at all.

Again Internet lawyering... smh
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Overall the ideal solution is not to buy phone from Verizon as there is many unlocked options that work fine and avoid this mess all together. People still have the notation that you must purchase a device form your carrier and only your carrier.

There is also many other reasons to that as well to avoid the VZW bundled crap etc.

If you need financing you can finance though Google directly for example for a Pixel 2 which is silly to begin with. Buy the thing outright.... If you can't afford to you can't afford the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Again Internet lawyering... smh
    Nah, but you don't have the neurons to grasp these concepts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    Overall the ideal solution is not to buy phone from Verizon
    No, that isn't ideal at all. Many non-Verizon phones don't have the proper firmware for WiFi calling, HD Voice, etc. Moreover, if you put your SIM in them, it prevents you from doing plan changes and creates all kinds of other problems in Verizon's antiquated CDMA system.

Regardless, the law is the law and the fact that cronyism and corruption would allow Verizon to violate the terms of their licenses is disgusting.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No, that isn't ideal at all. Many non-Verizon phones don't have the proper firmware for WiFi calling, HD Voice, etc. Moreover, if you put your SIM in them, it prevents you from doing plan changes and creates all kinds of other problems in Verizon's antiquated CDMA system.

Regardless, the law is the law and the fact that cronyism and corruption would allow Verizon to violate the terms of their licenses is disgusting.
    This is nothing new. The excerpt paragraph regarding Verizon’s device unlocking agreement was likely part of a 200 page document that likely has a number of clauses saying that rule doesn’t apply. That is what lawyers have done for ages. They wrote these massive documents then find ways they don’t apply and are voided.

I do 100 percent agree with you that their is corruption everywhere and there are plenty of laws not being followed or enforced because people don’t agree with them but that will never change regardless of who is in the government.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Here’s a suggestion. Since you care so much, file a lawsuit. Who cares about money? You’d be saving the internet!

Otherwise, as your username suggests, just cancel Verizon. Vote with your wallet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    This is nothing new.
    It's totally new. Verizon has never violated the terms of their licenses with regards to the handset locking prohibited provision before.

Feedback Score
    Here’s a suggestion. Since you care so much, file a lawsuit. Who cares about money?
    Since you don't seem to care about money, front me $200k for my expenses and I am all over it. I promise to pay you back. Put your money where your mouth is.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Since you don't seem to care about money, front me $200k for my expenses and I am all over it. I promise to pay you back. Put your money where your mouth is.
    can I pay you in bill credits?

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score

Most unlocked devices being sold support HD calling, many support Visual Voicemail as well. WiFi calling is an issue tho.

For example The Nexus 5x,6,6p Pixel and Pixel 2 support all the features besides WiFi calling. EDIT: The unlocked Pixel 2 actually supports WiFi calling on Verizon. These are also all Verizon certified devices and Verizon will activate a new line of service for them. There is also a bunch of Motorola devices. LG and Samsung also have unlocked devices. Right now the unlocked Samsung devices have issues with Verizon MVNOs for some reason.

AFIK the problems occur if you attempt to swap a sim into a device that isn't in their IMEI whitelist which seems to be a rare issue now. Hopefully doesn't become a issue in time.

I can forgo WiFi calling for all the other benefits. Perhaps some can't.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast