Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Verizon locking phones this spring

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In the SF area there were two UPS trucks robbed of shipments of iPhone X right at release time.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Phone companies have done some work through the years to try to make stealing phones less rewarding. Such as my iPhone, unless I remove the iCloud lock, not being useful for someone who steals it. But not everyone takes advantage of this, since it makes the phone harder to use. (it would be easier if you could disable all locks, passcodes, etc).

So this makes a phone that hasn't been sold yet more attractive. And that puts employees at risk, drivers, etc.

But is is likely an excuse to make it harder to buy a phone from Verizon for use on another carrier.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    But is is likely an excuse to make it harder to buy a phone from Verizon for use on another carrier.
    Bull. Considering as soon as you buy it and activate it it's unlocked. Can we stop with conspiracy theories please?

Feedback Score
    Are the Verizon flex policy iPhones sold at Best Buy currently locked per the new Verizon theft deterrent device locking policy?

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon Wireless does not have to lock all phones until activation due to being stolen. They need to keep a manifest of the phones imei numbers so when they are stolen they are entered into their imei blacklist database and pass that information along to the other carriers so the phones can not be used.

Feedback Score
    I got 4 XS Max phones from Verizon in December. Two were unlocked straight out of the box. The other two were unlocked within 2 hrs of using the phone with the Verizon sim in them.

I'm now using all the phones on T-Mobile. All the phones had T-Mobiles sims inserted straight out of the box and have been used on T-Mobile since then. The other two were used on T-Mobile the second they were unlocked.

I used the T-Mobile eSim app to let me know when the two locked phones were unlocked.

Feedback Score
    How does one know if a phone is locked or unlocked when they’re received?
    Last edited by DebiLee; 01-04-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    How does one know if a phone is locked or unlocked when they’re recieved?
    The only way you could tell for sure is putting in an active sim card from another carrier to see if it allows you to use the other carriers network.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    Verizon policy seems to be that even phones purchased at full price are locked and will require 60 days of full price service to be unlocked. There should be a way to purchase the phone (full price) unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmthomas View Post
    Verizon policy seems to be that even phones purchased at full price are locked and will require 60 days of full price service to be unlocked. There should be a way to purchase the phone (full price) unlocked.
    buy the phone straight from the manufacture unlocked

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmthomas View Post
    If you're going o purchase a phone from Verizon why would you leave within 60 days anyway. I think this is getting way out of proportion by a lot of people. I get people intending on scamming Verizon might be mad now, but oh well.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If you're going o purchase a phone from Verizon why would you leave within 60 days anyway. I think this is getting way out of proportion by a lot of people. I get people intending on scamming Verizon might be mad now, but oh well.
    The cell plan environment has changed with so many more options from BYOP/BYOD and whatnot. Basically, it's a convenient way to find a local store, walk in and purchase a phone at a showroom that you can walk out the door and place a budget SIM into. Verizon doesn't want to be a showroom for another provider that undercuts their price - sometimes dramatically. When that happens, it also means a potential paying customer might not be able to get the device when signing up because stock ran out.

That's why I imagine they're doing it. In years past, I'd probably be upset only because options were so limited, but now-a-days it's real easy to get an unlocked device just by ordering it on Amazon or direct from the manufacturer unlocked. This way you don't deprive Verizon or AT&T of their devices they want to sell to their customers.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / On YouTube: @AlexKidd4Fun

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    According to the Verizon policy after 60 days the lock is automatically removed. Can a phone be unlocked without any end user input?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    The cell plan environment has changed with so many more options from BYOP/BYOD and whatnot. Basically, it's a convenient way to find a local store, walk in and purchase a phone at a showroom that you can walk out the door and place a budget SIM into. Verizon doesn't want to be a showroom for another provider that undercuts their price - sometimes dramatically. When that happens, it also means a potential paying customer might not be able to get the device when signing up because stock ran out.

That's why I imagine they're doing it. In years past, I'd probably be upset only because options were so limited, but now-a-days it's real easy to get an unlocked device just by ordering it on Amazon or direct from the manufacturer unlocked. This way you don't deprive Verizon or AT&T of their devices they want to sell to their customers.

--Kidd
    Some people just want to take advantage of a BOGO offer then leave Verizon and basically have $1000+ phone for free they can use on another carrier? Just screw Verizon out of $1000? And we wonder why plan prices are so high. At least this way Verizon is getting 2 months of service payments

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Some people just want to take advantage of a BOGO offer then leave Verizon and basically have $1000+ phone for free they can use on another carrier? Just screw Verizon out of $1000? And we wonder why plan prices are so high. At least this way Verizon is getting 2 months of service payments
    That scenario is even more of a loss to Verizon, so yes, very much incentive to want locking added back to devices.

Another fact/memory that I forgot to mention - years way past, say 5+ years ago, Verizon actively rejected allowing unlocked devices or devices not sold in their store from connecting to their network citing all sorts of risks, but ultimately it was a cash grab - they wanted to be a part of the entire cycle of new device sale and service. Oh how things have changed over the years...

--Kidd

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast