Thread: Cricket deprioritization confimred

Feedback Score

Cricket deprioritization confimred

I’ve always been sceptical and didn’t believe that cricket was lower priority than AT&T, but I was wrong. I have a cricket line where data used to work perfectly, but has been acting weird for a couple of months in a one area I travel to (really slow with bursts of speed ever so often.) Just for the hell of it, I signed up for AT&T prepaid unlimited, and in this area I went from an average speed of 500Kbps to a consistent 3.1Mbps. Deprioritization myth: Confirmed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    I’ve always been sceptical and didn’t believe that cricket was lower priority than AT&T, but I was wrong. I have a cricket line where data used to work perfectly, but has been acting weird for a couple of months in a one area I travel to (really slow with bursts of speed ever so often.) Just for the hell of it, I signed up for AT&T prepaid unlimited, and in this area I went from an average speed of 500Kbps to a consistent 3.1Mbps. Deprioritization myth: Confirmed.
    I don't know of any at&t that isn't..

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    That's hardly empirical evidence, but don't they plainly state they may? 3.1 seems pretty low too, maybe you're getting a smaller % if what limited bandwidth is available there? Is AT&T prepaid throttled to 3Mb?

Feedback Score
    Could just be a different frequency in the same area... my Nexus 6P jumps from 700MHz to 1900MHz all the time in my house.

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    That's hardly empirical evidence, but don't they plainly state they may? 3.1 seems pretty low too, maybe you're getting a smaller % if what limited bandwidth is available there? Is AT&T prepaid throttled to 3Mb?
    Yes, their unlimited is throttled to 3mbps.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    It is very difficult to prove deprioritization. I have an AT&T postpaid hotspot sitting in the same position in a window all day every day. I am no where near the 22 GB deprioritization limit. I check the speed about daily around noon. It varies between 1.3 Mbps and 13 Mbps. Weather and leaves on the trees seem to correlate somewhat with the speeds.

Small changes in the position also make a big difference. During the Summer I had it on the window sill to keep it out of the heat. The temperature on the window in Summer Sunlight is ~130 F. On the window sill the speeds were much lower - 8 max, usually around 2-3.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does it matter? Either Cricket works or it doesn't. If it does great, doesn't matter if it is deprioritized or not. If it does't, who cares why not - move on to something that works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fdbryant3 View Post
    Does it matter? Either Cricket works or it doesn't. If it does great, doesn't matter if it is deprioritized or not. If it does't, who cares why not - move on to something that works.
    Amen!

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fdbryant3 View Post
    But, but, but, Cricket is throttled to 8 Mbps maximum, or 3 on the unlim plans. That is sooooooo horrible I can't get anything done. It's so unfair that I can't get premium service from a budget provider. ;~>
    </SARCASM>

BS. I have a full-blown unthrottled AT&T postpaid plan. Guess what? I usually only get 2-4 Mbps. It works just fine. I touch the GasBuddy icon and I get gas prices in a few seconds, etc.

Same deal with Verizon. My Verizon Tracfone used to be throttled to 5 Mbps max. Guess what? I usually only get 0.5-2 Mbps anyway. It works, though the 0.5 Mbps is noticeably slower.

Same with my 5 Mbps cable Internet. It works just fine. I stream all the HD Amazon video I want.

There are some valid business reasons to NEED high-speed cellphone service. Anything else is just bragging rights and a waste of discretionary funds that would be better off invested.