Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: upgrade to 7.1 ?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

upgrade to 7.1 ?

I have 2 motoG4Play phones, one for verizon (unlocked) one for att (my carry). I leave the VZ in a drawer most of the time, but use to make an occasional call. Today I discovered that it is up-gradable to 7.1.1 Nougat which REALLY surprised me. I checked status on my att and no deal....wonder why.
    Seems I recall someone here a while back said it took a lot of resources to do an OS upgrade, so I'm wondering if it is worth the bother. Like I said the thing sits in a drawer most of the time, anyway.
    Suggestions are welcome>

Feedback Score
    Thanx for letting us know the Nougat upgrade came through! Took about 20 minutes install time after download.

Seems to work fine testing with a few apps. Some app shortcut icons on the home screen look a little different. Was surprised that the app drawer icon is still on the home screen, instead of just swiping up to see it like the Moto E4 does.

Curious if it came directly from Moto/Lenovo, or does Verizon actually know these phones are on their network even with a swapped SIM?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Thanx for letting us know the Nougat upgrade came through! Took about 20 minutes install time after download.

Seems to work fine testing with a few apps. Some app shortcut icons on the home screen look a little different. Was surprised that the app drawer icon is still on the home screen, instead of just swiping up to see it like the Moto E4 does.

Curious if it came directly from Moto/Lenovo, or does Verizon actually know these phones are on their network even with a swapped SIM?
    My VZW G4Play updated with no sim!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    My VZW G4Play updated with no sim!
    Motorola branded phones have historically, for many years, received OTA updates no matter what SIM card, or even without a SIM card. It's good to know that Moto still works that way!

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    It would be interesting if they removed the band restriction on the Verizon Prepaid Moto G4 Play with this update. I doubt it.

If they didn't and you do the update, you would not be able to flash a GSM unlocked ROM, which you can do with the current version. I document my experience with that here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...y-unlocked-GSM

There is also a root exploit for the current version.

For those that did the update, it would be great if you were able to try an AT&T SIM to see if it works. Also, what is the Android security patch level?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    bw01, Did I understand you to say an AT&T sim does not work in the Verizon Prepaid G4? I unlocked my vz g4,stuck in a at&t byop from tracfone kit and used it, intermitently. Worked fine, but I used my other g4 (at&t from B&H) daily, so vz got stuck in the drawer.
    Afterwards I bought a TF sim, activated, that had a bunch of minutes/text plus an expiration of some years. I pulled out the vz g4,which was working with a TF AT&T sim and swapped sims that I had just purchased. Now I cannot make calls with that particular phone. Has me baffled.... Any suggestions?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On my unlocked by code VZ G4 Play not connected to any carrier the update is available. On my Amazon with offers G4 Play not connected to any carrier there is NO update available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    bw01, Did I understand you to say an AT&T sim does not work in the Verizon Prepaid G4? I unlocked my vz g4,stuck in a at&t byop from tracfone kit and used it, intermitently. Worked fine, but I used my other g4 (at&t from B&H) daily, so vz got stuck in the drawer.
    Afterwards I bought a TF sim, activated, that had a bunch of minutes/text plus an expiration of some years. I pulled out the vz g4,which was working with a TF AT&T sim and swapped sims that I had just purchased. Now I cannot make calls with that particular phone. Has me baffled.... Any suggestions?
    The loaded sim that you bought: If it hasn't had any calls charged to it within the last 6 months, it may have a hold on it. Call TF and have the sim turned back on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Also, what is the Android security patch level?
    My Android security patch level is December 1, 2017. That is a later date than it used to be, but not sure it came as part of this update.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    On my unlocked by code VZ G4 Play not connected to any carrier the update is available. On my Amazon with offers G4 Play not connected to any carrier there is NO update available.
    The upgrade appears to have been sent by verizon, I wonder why the (unlocked/never-locked) Amazon phone didn't get it?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The loaded sim that you bought: If it hasn't had any calls charged to it within the last 6 months, it may have a hold on it. Call TF and have the sim turned back on.
    Reasonably sure I made a call or two with the sim in an older AT&T phone after I received it, Lisme. Then recently when I swapped sim into the G4 Veizon I can't make a call.
    Settings>about phone>status>sim status shows: signal strength 0
    cell network type unknown
    service state - voiceut of service / data out of service
    roaming - not roaming
    cell network state-disconnected
    It then lists the correct phone number as well as the correct IMEI.
    Do I need to do an APN or something?? Very confused, and its getting so that doesn't take much anymore. I'm a bit hesitant to contact Tracfone as I expect they'll question the expiration date
    Last edited by gmannix; 02-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    Reasonably sure I made a call or two with the sim in an older AT&T phone after I received it, Lisme. Then recently when I swapped sim into the G4 Veizon I can't make a call.
    Settings>about phone>status>sim status shows: signal strength 0
    cell network type unknown
    service state - voiceut of service / data out of service
    roaming - not roaming
    cell network state-disconnected
    It then lists the correct phone number as well as the correct IMEI.
    Do I need to do an APN or something?? Very confused, and its getting so that doesn't take much anymore. I'm a bit hesitant to contact Tracfone as I expect they'll question the expiration date
    Are you sure the new sim is Tracfone/AT&T and not something else?

Feedback Score
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally hit airplane mode?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally hit airplane mode?
    Negatory....

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    A TF BYOP AT&T SIM will only get LTE bands 2 and 4 in a Verizon Prepaid Moto G4 Play. You won't get WCDMA (HSPA/+) which is required to make a call on AT&T since this phone also won't support VoLTE on AT&T. Changing the APN won't matter.

The ROM that I flashed allows the phone to work with those bands needed for use on T-Mobile and AT&T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast