View Poll Results: how long do you plan to keep your current/ideal (near future) tracfone??

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than one year/"I'm a compulsive upgrader"

0 0%
  • 1yr/"I'm a yearly HSN/QVC bundle buyer"

1 3.45%
  • 2 years

8 27.59%
  • 3 years

3 10.34%
  • 4-5 years

4 13.79%
  • 6 or more years!

1 3.45%
  • Until I fall in love with a new phone!

7 24.14%
  • "Until QVC/HSN stops selling good phone+airtime bundles"

3 10.34%
  • "When 5G is as well established as 4G" (equal coverage)

2 6.90%
  • Until 4G service declines (degrading/worse coverage than 5G)

1 3.45%
  • Until they shut off the towers!

4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long do you plan to keep your current (or ideal) Tracfone?

Feedback Score

How long do you plan to keep your current (or ideal) Tracfone?

This is just a fun little poll, i'm wondering if i'm the only one that tends to use things until they fall apart or not.

If you have any interesting explanations or justifications for your philosophy feel free to share! This is just meant to be both silly and informative. Maybe learn a little about the users around you.

Like I first got on Tmobile in early 2016 I think it was with a 6 year old Samsung Galaxy S and the only reason I quit was because 3G was sunsetting and I discovered Tracfone bundles. So i've got nothing against old hardware but i'm probably the only one here who thinks like that.

I put "ideal" Tracfone because maybe you're like me/just using a cheaper bundle while waiting to upgrade to an 'ideal' phone you consider on the radar - in that case, refer to the planned lifespan of your ideal phone. Like once i'm in a Galaxy Sky 5.0 i'm probably staying there until the sun burns out.

Also you can vote both an approximate period of time AND one or more reasons!
    Last edited by unit_shifter; 02-14-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: adding info

Feedback Score
    The problem is that the apps won't work unless you have a certain advanced android version. Also, the processing gets very sluggish when the newer apps are more demanding. Also, finding a new battery. So, it's more an issue of obsolescence than something falling apart.

I have a Galaxy S3 with LTE, and it's getting very annoying even though it's not "old". But if all I need is phone calls/texts, "old" should be OK.

Feedback Score
    I am like that with almost everything except phones and other tech.
    If I have something that I love I'll use it for as long as I can.

With cell phones, like a lot of people here on HoFo I like switching them around and use different types of phones.
    I'll probably never give up my Lumia phones.
    I love Windows phone.

The current Tracfone bundles interest me for the harvest of the buckets.
    I more than likely would not be using Tracfone if it had not been for the Family Dollar SIM kits deal extravaganza.
    I'm also using T-Mobile as well as Tracfone.
    And Truphone....

I have hpham to thank for my use of the Moto E4 with Tracfone.
    I'd read some posts that he made talking about this phone so I checked it out and grabbed one and have been very happy with it.
    Previously I was using the Phoenix 2 on Tracfone.
    I bought a Rebel 2 Tracfone bundle for $35 with a coupon code from HSN.
    I bought that one purely to harvest the buckets.

I am interested in the Rebel 3 bundle for harvest but from the specs I might actually use that one if I actually can't talk myself out of buying it.

I have a lot of phones.
    As do many people here on HoFo.

You know, I just like them.
    Goofing around with them, using them, switching them around.

I don't generally buy the latest and greatest.
    But I do like a good quality phone.
    I have a Nokia 2 just waiting for me to have T-Mobile switch my $3 a month plan SIM to a nano SIM so I can start using it.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm quite happy with my Galaxy S5. I have no intention of switching until the need arises, like if it breaks or gets lost/stolen. Or the later S models fall into my price range. Don't want an S6 because of the SD card issue, but I might go for an S7 when the price comes down enough.
    But I'm in no hurry. The S5 does everything I have asked of it so far, and does it well.

Feedback Score
    Galaxy 5 is still a great phone, just wish there was an Android 6+ version on at&t

Feedback Score
    When I can get a phone with 64GB internal memory and 4GB of RAM for $100

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ardyar View Post
    When I can get a phone with 64GB internal memory and 4GB of RAM for $100
    Those are specs of current high-end phones. You probably will have to wait several years before used ones drop to that price range. Last month, I bought a brand-new LG G3 model D850 (32GB internal, 3GB RAM) for $105 on Ebay. That model came out in June 2014, but it was shipped (factory sealed) with Android 6.0 with July 2016 security patch. So it wasn't made too long ago.

Feedback Score
    I am coming up on two years with my Verizon Galaxy S4. It was $130 in eBay "New Other" condition. I have replaced the battery once with one from a place that guaranteed that it was genuine new Samsung OEM. It's still not great. The phone itself is fine. I can't think of any feature of newer phones that I care about. I don't need a fingerprint reader, etc.

I will run it until the performance becomes unacceptable, Android ver. too old for apps I want, or battery life becomes unacceptable.

Otherwise, I am ready to switch to an AT&T based phone. Verizon data speed around here has become poor since they unleashed the unlimited plans. We have a AT&T phone on postpaid so I can tell that AT&T is better here. The coverage of both is about the same here.

I like having a good camera in my daily carry phone. That means needing a flagship phone. One that is 2-3 generations old is good enough. The idea of paying $700 or more for a new, current model is ludicrous to me.

I use a LG Phoenix 2 that I got for $20 to bang around the house on Wifi for weather, TV guide, etc. The camera is not good enough to switch to for daily carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Those are specs of current high-end phones. You probably will have to wait several years before used ones drop to that price range. Last month, I bought a brand-new LG G3 model D850 (32GB internal, 3GB RAM) for $105 on Ebay. That model came out in June 2014, but it was shipped (factory sealed) with Android 6.0 with July 2016 security patch. So it wasn't made too long ago.

I bought a 32GB 2GB Ram iPhone 5 SE on Black Friday for $95 so I'm good for a couple years.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Probably for along time since my AT&T branded Phoenix 3 is not a flagship and it is not my primary device.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 10+, Saumsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My sister and I just upgraded to Galaxy S7's from S5's about a month ago (we're both on Total Wireless). Her Galaxy S5 has a cracked screen that was making it too janky to operate for her. I got her a Certified Pre-Owned Verizon-branded Galaxy S7 of Amazon for $395 and myself a used "Very Good" condition Verizon S7 for $250. I originally setup the CPO S7 for her, but she complained about notifications from Facebook, Facebook Messenger, etc. not arriving in a timely fashion and the Verizon Nougat firmware it shipped with has an issue that causes calls and texts to not work after the phone is restarted until an outgoing call is made. So we picked up a new Total Wireless branded S7 from Walmart for ~$399 + tax. The Nougat firmware on her S7 doesn't have the calls/texts not working after reboot issue that the Verizon firmware does.

I wound up returning the used "Very Good" condition S7 and kept the CPO S7 for myself. The home button on the "very good condition" S7 was severely worn and the AccuBattery app showed only ~60% battery life remaining after one charge (I don't consider a very worn home button to be "very good" condition LOL). The CPO S7 was listed as "New" on Amazon, but I decided to keep it since it has a one year warranty from Samsung. The seller refunded me $100.

The S7 is an improvement over the S7 in some areas (better build quality, better speaker, better camera, somewhat better call quality), about the same battery life and about the same snappiness/lagginess as my S5 (I'm thinking about rollback back to Marshmallow 6.0.1- it ran great on my S7). I just sold my S5 on Sunday for $80 on Craigslist (was in good condition with a few scratches on the screen, missing charger port cover and a nick on the bottom edge). I paid $188 each for our S5's for it back on September (or October?) 2016 in "New" condition from an Ebay seller. Over 58% depreciation in only about a year and a half (for mine)... ouch! I guess we just mistimed getting our S7's... the S7 will probably come down in price pretty soon now that the S9 is about to launch.

I hope these S7's will last us at least two years, hopefully three. I was hoping to get 2+ years out of the S5's, but I was unhappy with the call quality, reception and battery life on my S5 (my backup $10 Moto E2 beat my S5 in call quality and battery life, maybe reception too). The camera was so-so on the S5, a definite step down from the camera on our iPhone 4S's we had before the Galaxy S5's.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I like to keep my phones until I can get a good deal on a newer phone, then sell the old one. My postpaid line is a little different (e.g. trade in deals) but for my TracFone lines, I'm enjoying my $99 iPhone 6 from Black Friday and a Verizon iPhone 7 I scored for a good deal.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s+ [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    I have averaged about 3 years per phone, but having changed from android to an iPhone SE last year I expect to stay with the current phone longer unless I run across some super deal on a more desirable iPhone.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    I will hold onto my current phone (Lg G4) as long as I can. The battery isn't doing great but I might get a new one. I just can't spend more than $200 on a phone and getting one better for that price would be difficult to find.

Feedback Score
    Have had 6s plus for a couple of years. Won't replace till battery life becomes problematic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast