Thread: Considering Fi - Questions for the HoFo COmmunity

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question Considering Fi - Questions for the HoFo COmmunity

I see this forum is not very active, but I value the input of HoFo users over other sources on the interwebs. Hoping some of you can provide some expert insight.

I am currently a Cricket customer with a Galaxy S5. Previous experience with Virgin Mobile and Target's failed MVNO (Brightspot). As for phone usage - need unlimited talk (mainly for work calls), low to mid level use of texts, data use of between 0.5 to 5 GB per month (mainly dependent on amount of domestic travel.

How has your experience with Fi been?

Do you see Fi as a viable long term (2 years or greater) option?

What phone would be the best to purchase for ~2 years (Moto X4, Pixel XL or Pixel 2 (or XL)?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I used Project Fi briefly towards the end of last year because I wanted to be able to text a close relative who had traveled abroad for a short amount of time.

Overall, I had a good experience. I always had to watch my data use because I did not want to go over 1G.

If you live/work/travel around areas that have good Sprint and/or T-mobile and/or US Cellular coverage, you should have good service.

Before I cancelled my Project Fi service, I bought a Pixel 2XL to try out the e-sim. I still have the Pixel 2XL (but I am using it with the Sprint One Year Free plan).

If I ever return to Project Fi, I will use it with the e-Sim in my Pixel 2 XL, and use the other sim slot with a Freedompop ATT (free) data plan.

Google Voice combined with any relatively inexpensive (ATT or Verizon-based) prepaid plan (Red Pocket, Verizon prepaid, Total Wireless) meet my current prepaid needs.

Hope that helps.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Fi has worked well for my wife. Two points about data. To keep her below 2 GB/mo I had to enable every data saving feature on the phone, use the Opera browser with all its data saving features and install OperaMax. Her previous phone was a Galaxy SII and for some reason, the Nexus 5X immediately doubled her data usage. (Perhaps displaying higher resolution pictures). I have to be vigilant to be sure she's on WiFi, when it's available, as she does not think of this herself. The bill generally runs between $27 & $35 per month.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Decided to go for it. Moto X4, seems like a good deal for my needs. Will post a review of the activation process and service.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've had the Moto X4 for about a month now and it works really good for me. The fact that you can use up to a 2 TB card in it makes it a good option, and the battery life for me has been very good.

I've had Fi for about 2 years now and it works great for me. With the data protection you bill will be capped on heavier months, which should help a lot. It will be interesting to see how changes to Sprint's network will change things since it will give Fi more coverage and more areas to fall back on for data.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Fi has worked well for my wife. Two points about data. To keep her below 2 GB/mo I had to enable every data saving feature on the phone, use the Opera browser with all its data saving features and install OperaMax. Her previous phone was a Galaxy SII and for some reason, the Nexus 5X immediately doubled her data usage. (Perhaps displaying higher resolution pictures). I have to be vigilant to be sure she's on WiFi, when it's available, as she does not think of this herself. The bill generally runs between $27 & $35 per month.
    The new Google app, Datally, makes it really easy to limit cellular data usage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Received X4 this morning, opened it , charged it and it is updating now. Came with Android 7, now upgrading to Android 8. When I ordered the phone I pre-filled the data for the number transport from Cricket, and I believe it only took 15 minutes from turning on the phone for the transfer to take place. So far so good, and the phone appears much nicer than my Galaxy S5.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    All updates through Feb Security patch have completed. Very easy and smooth transition.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was on Fi for a few months with a Nexus 5X last year. I liked everything about it except that occasionally the voice sound quality was so bad I could barely talk with the other person and sometimes the call dropped. I think that happened when it switched to Sprint.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Update noticed many apps are lagging with Oreo, hopefully just an app issue and not something more. All of my texts were going to Hangouts as opposed to Messenger. Hangouts would be fine, but it uses data, and messenger uses the cell network and is included in the basic monthly price. Figured out that Hangouts needs to be disabled via the Hangouts app online in addition to making Messenger the default app for SMS on your phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Moto X4 I received when joining was decent at first, but then began to lag when opening apps. The phone and messenger worked great, but apps would freeze upon opening and then freeze the entire phone. The issue happened the most with stock google apps.

After three factory resets, I live chatted with a Project Fi rep who walked me through some troubleshooting steps. Most were ones I had already tried. When we walked through opening apps via safe mode, he agreed there was an issue and set up the process to send me a replacement. So they are going to send a replacement, placing a hold charge on my card until I send back the original phone. I hope the new phone works like a new phone should, as I have liked the service so far, besides the laggy phone.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I thought about getting that phone but they gave me $320 and a $100 bill credit for trading in my original pixel. I went with the pixel 2, and have been extremely happy with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Phone arrived two days ago. The new one is much faster than the original. I packed up and shipped the old phone with the return label provided by Project Fi. When the package posted as shipped via tracking, I received an email from Project Fi and the hold on my card for the replacement device was dropped. Impressed with the Customer Service so far.