Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Grandfathered 50$ UDP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    gUDP does not get deprioritized, but there is a hidden 100GB cap. Video gets degraded on gUDP like all other plans.
    Not true at all. I've got lines with well above that usage and never once been bothered. Verizon just wants the cash. As long as you keep paying the bill, I don't see them caring too much. Now there may be isolated areas (for example, the LTEiRA stuff) where they won't allow it but this mythical 100GB does not exist.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrperkster View Post
    Not true at all. I've got lines with well above that usage and never once been bothered. Verizon just wants the cash. As long as you keep paying the bill, I don't see them caring too much. Now there may be isolated areas (for example, the LTEiRA stuff) where they won't allow it but this mythical 100GB does not exist.
    Are you still on contract?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    Are you still on contract?
    Nope, and I haven't been for probably well over a year now. maybe closer to 2.

Feedback Score
    Not true at all.
    Well you are wrong. Verizon periodically does these pogroms against gUDPers who use more than 100GB. Search the board for more info.

They may have stopped now that they have implemented the video throttle, but only time will tell.

Feedback Score
    I've seen and heard those stories too but it's probably like anything else - you only hear from the tiny minority who get hit, and we probably aren't being told the whole story. people are dishonest by nature. they may have been abusing other avenues or doing other spurious things with/on said accounts which are not being divulged in their stories. I can say only my experience and that I've never once heard a peep over years and years and years of UDP with one hell of a lot more than 100GB per cycle even in slow months. Make of that whatever you will.

Feedback Score
    I've seen and heard those stories too but it's probably like anything else - you only hear from the tiny minority who get hit, and we probably aren't being told the whole story. people are dishonest by nature.
    You're wrong. You are batting 0 for 2. Multiple people posted the letters and Verizon publicly confirmed that they were doing this, they weren't lying.

If what you are saying is true, you got lucky dude. Count your blessings before calling others liars, Verizon may be after you next.

I have never used even 100GB on a gUDP line and gave them up voluntarily. The video throttle is bullsheet. Ported to AT&T in February and have never been happier.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had grandfathered plan but not one of the best ones. Unlimited data (the old plan) but at something like $88/mo. including tax.
    I paid a real premium just for the safety net. Odd in my case because I never used much data, just didn't want to watch it carefully, and didn't want overages.

I'm now on a much cheaper plan (the $55 5Gb) single-line, and I have safety mode. Same difference in my case because I literally never go over, and I don't pay as much. The roll-over data also helps me store some data for a time when I need more for a single month.

So competition is alive and well, and at the moment we still have some reasonable plan choices.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I had grandfathered plan but not one of the best ones. Unlimited data (the old plan) but at something like $88/mo. including tax.
    I paid a real premium just for the safety net. Odd in my case because I never used much data, just didn't want to watch it carefully, and didn't want overages.

I'm now on a much cheaper plan (the $55 5Gb) single-line, and I have safety mode. Same difference in my case because I literally never go over, and I don't pay as much. The roll-over data also helps me store some data for a time when I need more for a single month.

So competition is alive and well, and at the moment we still have some reasonable plan choices.

-Dan
    And employer discounts apply to the 5GB plan if you have one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Not a lot of reasons to keep a plan that is being disincentivized.
    The price is going up. Tethering is not available. You get de-prioritized like everyone else when you use lots of data. etc.
    For me it was $80 a month to hang on to something that was not such a big deal when the fUDP came out.
    I would have switched as soon as they came out, but I would have had to pay a device penalty on each line since I had bought phones via a Best Buy promotion.

It was harder and harder to justify and at $80 when the contract expired it was a non-starter.
    I'm now on the fUDP and I don't notice a difference.
    I'm at 25GB on my primary line.
    Line 2 -> 6GB
    Line 3 -> 16 GB
    Line 4 -> 3.63 GB

I'm happy and my bill actually went down.
    The video deprioritization is not true I can verify that for gudp lines as I've never been hit with it on my 6 gudp lines. How does the Fudp plan differ from gudp

Sent from my SM-N950U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle221995 View Post
    The video deprioritization is not true I can verify that for gudp lines as I've never been hit with it on my 6 gudp lines. How does the Fudp plan differ from gudp
    It's not video deprioritization, it is a video throttle. We all have been hit with it. One way you tell is that you run tests on fast.com followed by speedtest.net. The fast.com will be slower than speedtest.net if the video is being throttled. The other way you can tell is to use a VPN.

You just don't know how to test for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    You're wrong. You are batting 0 for 2. Multiple people posted the letters and Verizon publicly confirmed that they were doing this, they weren't lying.

If what you are saying is true, you got lucky dude. Count your blessings before calling others liars, Verizon may be after you next.

I have never used even 100GB on a gUDP line and gave them up voluntarily. The video throttle is bullsheet. Ported to AT&T in February and have never been happier.
    "Multiple people" ... again, no one comes in to say everything is hunky dory and just fine. They only show up to whine. I remember when the "crackdown" was big news and it was something like 1200 customers. 1200. That's like 0.00001% of UDP users at the time, at best. Just keep in mind that the people who come here to post are not representative of the customer base at large. They are a very tiny (vocal, but tiny) group of people.

So I really don't care. I'll continue to enjoy my unlimited, unthrottled data as I see fit. Verizon can take it away at some point, but until that very day I will run it and enjoy it just as I have for years now. While others are moaning about poor speeds and throttles and how they wished they had kept their old plan because the new ones stink. It is true that gUDP has the video throttle but there is NO deprioritization and also there is no Hotspot throttle after 15GB like the "new" Verizon Unlimited plans. That's two game changers for any one that knows the value of these old plans and makes full use of them.

You seem to want to get the last word in and be the smartest kid in the room. Have at it. I've got some streaming to do.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Grandfathered 50$ UDP

Those letters about 100gb usage were before unlimited came back. The department that sent them didn’t know what the other hand was doing with bringing UDP back. I believe most people getting those letters were T1114 users. And they were usually in an LTeIRA area where Verizon was paying thousands of dollars a month to roaming partners.

I didn’t personally receive the letter but was using a T1114 and they did strip the data plan off of it during an automated audit due to “incompatible feature codes”. Once I put the SIM into a regular hotspot, they restored the data plan and it’s been happily purring along with a MiFi since, routinely going over 300gb. The days to be paranoid are over. Most GUDP plans are now approaching the price of the nUDP offerings, with the exception of those still under contract or having a special plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedis View Post
    Those letters about 100gb usage were before unlimited came back. The department that sent them didn’t know what the other hand was doing with bringing UDP back. I believe most people getting those letters were T1114 users. And they were usually in an LTeIRA area where Verizon was paying thousands of dollars a month to roaming partners.

I didn’t personally receive the letter but was using a T1114 and they did strip the data plan off of it during an automated audit due to “incompatible feature codes”. Once I put the SIM into a regular hotspot, they restored the data plan and it’s been happily purring along with a MiFi since, routinely going over 300gb. The days to be paranoid are over. Most GUDP plans are now approaching the price of the nUDP offerings, with the exception of those still under contract or having a special plan.
    That's good to know. The price increase combined with the video throttle is why I left my gUDP lines. I wasn't even breaking 50GB let alone 100GB so no reason for me to be paying all that money to Verizon. I love having unlimited minutes, never have to think about using my phone now, I just use it whenever I want to.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I got hit with that over a year ago. I stuck with it initially because I thought I was not going to save much, thinking the savings would have been about $5. I switched to the February plan back in July when initial reports came out saying that all plans will be subjected to prioritization. To my surprise, I am saving about $17, which is nothing to sneeze at, and I have hotspot now (it would have been $24 otherwise).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    I got hit with that over a year ago. I stuck with it initially because I thought I was not going to save much, thinking the savings would have been about $5. I switched to the February plan back in July when initial reports came out saying that all plans will be subjected to prioritization. To my surprise, I am saving about $17, which is nothing to sneeze at, and I have hotspot now (it would have been $24 otherwise).
    But you have 1) deprioritization 2) hotspot throttle to 600kbps after 15GB ... is that really worth $24 savings? I guess if you don't use much data, it might be. For me personally? No - freaking - way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast