Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Does Verizon have Extended 3G?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    242
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Does Verizon have Extended 3G?

    When I was about to land at the airport, I turned on my phone and noticed it showed extended 3G instead of the usual Extended 1x. I always thought that Verizon limited domestic roaming to 1x, and I assumed it was a glitch (maybe it was Verizon 3G but showed as Extended instead), but when I called 411 sure enough it said “U.S. Cellular 411 Search” or something like that. Does Verizon have Extended 3G now?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    139
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon does indeed roam on USCC 3G in some areas.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    885
    Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They also roam on Commnet 3G in some rural areas out west.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    242
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thats cool. I found this post on an older topic though, why are they advertising domestic roaming at 2G only when they have 3G roaming?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,552
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    You don't have to be on 2G to have speeds limited to 2G speeds.

    I would guess that Verizon doesn't offer unlimited plans anymore for phones supporting only CDMA and 3G.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    849
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    By the way, I think the "4G LTE only" part means that the 2017 unlimited data plans aren't guaranteed to be able to be used for 5G.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,398
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    Thats cool. I found this post on an older topic though, why are they advertising domestic roaming at 2G only when they have 3G roaming?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Have you ever had really crappy LTE or 3G data speeds that were "just as bad," as 2G? If you answered yes then you'll have your answer.

    Data roaming speeds are often artificially throttled.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    242
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    So then it’s mostly just marketing, not actually 1x, right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,398
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    So then it’s mostly just marketing, not actually 1x, right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess you can say that marketing roaming at, "2G speeds," is one way of explaining it.

    LTE, 3G etc. are the names of the air interface. You can get 0.00 Mbps LTE in theory. I've seen it a couple of times.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    139
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I guess you can say that marketing roaming at, "2G speeds," is one way of explaining it.

    LTE, 3G etc. are the names of the air interface. You can get 0.00 Mbps LTE in theory. I've seen it a couple of times.
    Most definitely this.

    It's entirely possible to have "LTE" and zero speed, or to have "3G" and 3Mbps. The air interface alone has nothing to do with the speed you actually receive.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    242
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I guess where I was was one of the rare instances where the roaming isn’t limited to 2G speeds, because the speeds I got were much faster than 2G


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,686
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    When I was about to land at the airport, I turned on my phone and noticed it showed extended 3G instead of the usual Extended 1x. I always thought that Verizon limited domestic roaming to 1x, and I assumed it was a glitch (maybe it was Verizon 3G but showed as Extended instead), but when I called 411 sure enough it said “U.S. Cellular 411 Search” or something like that. Does Verizon have Extended 3G now?
    CDMA2000 (1X, EVDO) is 3G (3rd Generation) technology. It's a semantics debate (generation vs speed).

    If its like Sprint, they often show 1X service as 3G. I wonder how Verizon expects to roam if they're ending CDMA support. I hope they never shut down CDMA, its way better for voice service. VoLTE is terrible.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    2,104
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Does Verizon have Extended 3G?

    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    CDMA2000 (1X, EVDO) is 3G (3rd Generation) technology. It's a semantics debate (generation vs speed).

    If its like Sprint, they often show 1X service as 3G. I wonder how Verizon expects to roam if they're ending CDMA support. I hope they never shut down CDMA, its way better for voice service. VoLTE is terrible.
    I do wonder if after the CDMA shutdown we will retain CDMA roaming.

    I sure hope so because USCC 850 CDMA is all that reaches most of the area around my rural cabin.

    I have to use a booster there to connect to VZ 700MHz LTE (this is a Verizon 1900 only CDMA market).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

    iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

    Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

    AT&T Fiber

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    242
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    CDMA2000 (1X, EVDO) is 3G (3rd Generation) technology. It's a semantics debate (generation vs speed).

    If its like Sprint, they often show 1X service as 3G. I wonder how Verizon expects to roam if they're ending CDMA support. I hope they never shut down CDMA, its way better for voice service. VoLTE is terrible.
    I totally agree. CDMA is super reliable, and even though it usually only works well for calls and texts, it comes in handy, especially in really rural areas. LTE can be really spotty sometimes, I wish it had the strength, penetration, reach, etc, that CDMA has.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,748
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Does Verizon have Extended 3G?

    We have extended 3G roaming in Alaska as well. It’s normally good for a couple of mbps.

    All Verizon has up here is LTE, so everything else is 3G or 1x extended/roaming.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does Verizon have WAP 2.0? xhtml?
    By dfoley in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 03:54 PM
  2. Does Verizon have WAP 2.0? xhtml?
    By dfoley in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 09:26 AM
  3. Is it me, or does Verizon have too many web sites?
    By SiOfRelief in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:23 AM
  4. Does Verizon have MMS?
    By NBAJ2K in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 11:24 AM
  5. Does Verizon have voicemail pager notification?
    By MGH in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-06-2002, 04:35 PM

Bookmarks