Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Verizon have Extended 3G?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's been nearly a decade when I seen extended 3G; I was in south Georgia and my phone said "Roaming", but it was using an AT&T site that had old Alltel CDMA equipment. The only 3G I see is Verizon; I rarely touch Sprint 1X.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In Oregon, Verizon users can roam on US Cellular which is typically 3G or 1x. It happens by geographic area. For example SW Oregon, coastal, or up 97 (Madras, OR) as you travel North, at least if you head east or west from there.

I wouldn't say its common, but I encounter it when I travel around the state. So it's not uncommon to see it at least for periods of time.
    Verizon does have a great native footprint in Oregon due to acquisitions (Ramcell, Cellular One NW/Unicel). I've never roamed on Snake River PCS as far as I know but that's basically boarder with Idaho. There simply aren't a lot of potential roaming partners left in Oregon (that haven't been acquired). FYI- We never had Alltel here.

And perhaps oddly, at least historically, Verizon here roamed on Sprint, but that agreement appears not to be in place now.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    It's been nearly a decade when I seen extended 3G; I was in south Georgia and my phone said "Roaming", but it was using an AT&T site that had old Alltel CDMA equipment. The only 3G I see is Verizon; I rarely touch Sprint 1X.
    I saw roaming on my phone one time for a split second. What’s the difference between roaming and extended?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    In Oregon, Verizon users can roam on US Cellular which is typically 3G or 1x. It happens by geographic area. For example SW Oregon, coastal, or up 97 (Madras, OR) as you travel North, at least if you head east or west from there.

I wouldn't say its common, but I encounter it when I travel around the state. So it's not uncommon to see it at least for periods of time.
    Verizon does have a great native footprint in Oregon due to acquisitions (Ramcell, Cellular One NW/Unicel). I've never roamed on Snake River PCS as far as I know but that's basically boarder with Idaho. There simply aren't a lot of potential roaming partners left in Oregon (that haven't been acquired). FYI- We never had Alltel here.

And perhaps oddly, at least historically, Verizon here roamed on Sprint, but that agreement appears not to be in place now.

-Dan
    Yeah, the only network that I’ve seen my phone on when it says “extended” is U.S. Cellular. Do you know what their other CDMA domestic roaming providers are? I’m not sure if I would count their LTEiRA providers, doesn’t Verizon treat those providers (Ex: Bluegrass Cellular) as their own network?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    I saw roaming on my phone one time for a split second. What’s the difference between roaming and extended?
    There was no difference when it comes to cost. Just a typical experience one would expect on 3G. The triangle scared me, though since I've never seen the roaming triangle before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Do you know what their other CDMA domestic roaming providers are? I’m not sure if I would count their LTEiRA providers, doesn’t Verizon treat those providers (Ex: Bluegrass Cellular) as their own network?
    If you're on 1x or 3G, an LTEiRA carrier definitely counts as Extended Network. On LTE, they sometimes show up as Verizon on your phone, but I think that more and more they've been showing up as Extended. The current coverage map labels them as Extended 4G LTE.

Another roaming partner that isn't LTEiRA is Inland Cellular, in Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

CDMA roaming- nationally

Yeah, the only network that I’ve seen my phone on when it says “extended” is U.S. Cellular. Do you know what their other CDMA domestic roaming providers are? I’m not sure if I would count their LTEiRA providers, doesn’t Verizon treat those providers (Ex: Bluegrass Cellular) as their own network?
    CDMA uses an enforcible PRL (preferred roaming list). Here's an example decoded Verizon PRL from 2011:
    http://www.roamingzone.com/prl/prl_52299.shtml
    (Thanks Mountain Wireless for keeping one of these around).

Of course, there's lots of changes since 2011, but the basics will be same or similar. i.e. if X carrier hasn't been acquired, it's likely still in the PRL. And yes, its possible to extract the PRL and decode it (which is what one above is). It's some work to do. Folks in the forums haven't been doing PRL decodes in some time, especially as CDMA becomes less relevant.

-Dan

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    There was no difference when it comes to cost. Just a typical experience one would expect on 3G. The triangle scared me, though since I've never seen the roaming triangle before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Oh, I see. Are some towers just programmed to show Roaming and others show Extended?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andybalholm View Post
    If you're on 1x or 3G, an LTEiRA carrier definitely counts as Extended Network. On LTE, they sometimes show up as Verizon on your phone, but I think that more and more they've been showing up as Extended. The current coverage map labels them as Extended 4G LTE.

Another roaming partner that isn't LTEiRA is Inland Cellular, in Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho.
    Would it show up as extended LTE on the LTEiRA networks? My phone will show “Extended LTE” when I set the option to “data only” in the LTE menu in settings while I’m connected to Verizon LTE and Extended CDMA.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    CDMA uses an enforcible PRL (preferred roaming list). Here's an example decoded Verizon PRL from 2011:
    http://www.roamingzone.com/prl/prl_52299.shtml
    (Thanks Mountain Wireless for keeping one of these around).

Of course, there's lots of changes since 2011, but the basics will be same or similar. i.e. if X carrier hasn't been acquired, it's likely still in the PRL. And yes, its possible to extract the PRL and decode it (which is what one above is). It's some work to do. Folks in the forums haven't been doing PRL decodes in some time, especially as CDMA becomes less relevant.

-Dan
    I’m going to take a look at the PRL on my iPhone, it’s on iOS 11.1.2 so I can access the file system. Is LTE roaming included in the PRL, or is it only for CDMA roaming?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Back when Verizon plans called America's Choice (AC) were common there were roaming partners included in your rate plan and those not included. For this reason the alpha tag would display Extended aka "Freindly Roam- or FR" which meant usage was included in your rate plan. If your phone displayed "ROAM" that was to be avoided. i.e. you could use your phone but you might pay a lot to do so. Back in those days it was actually voice minutes being used primarily, and AC plans had an allotment of included voice minutes. Say 450 peak and nights and weekends including mobile to mobile (meaning another mobile, same carrier). Anyway, roaming might be $2.29 per minute or something that added up fast. You might pay it and be glad to use it for a tow truck, but you wouldn't make a casual call while roaming.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Back when Verizon plans called America's Choice (AC) were common there were roaming partners included in your rate plan and those not included. For this reason the alpha tag would display Extended aka "Freindly Roam- or FR" which meant usage was included in your rate plan. If your phone displayed "ROAM" that was to be avoided. i.e. you could use your phone but you might pay a lot to do so. Back in those days it was actually voice minutes being used primarily, and AC plans had an allotment of included voice minutes. Say 450 peak and nights and weekends including mobile to mobile (meaning another mobile, same carrier). Anyway, roaming might be $2.29 per minute or something that added up fast. You might pay it and be glad to use it for a tow truck, but you wouldn't make a casual call while roaming.
    I wonder why I saw it on my phone then, I have the UDP from February. Isn’t all domestic roaming FR Extended now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder why I saw it on my phone then, I have the UDP from February. Isn’t all domestic roaming FR Extended now?

None of the plans from recent years have any paid/additional cost roaming within the 50 states.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can still get at and decode the PRL, and it exists today on most every Verizon device. There used to be a public domain PERL program to help create the file as plain text. Then folks who did the decoding would make it more readable. i.e. there's a station ID that belongs to only one carrier, and used for a particular region. Once you know that, you can easily expand the station IDs to say "Sprint" or "US Cellular" and which region (i.e. usually designated by county/state but likely actually MTAs/BTAs - market trading areas/basic trading areas).

The PRL also contains the acquisition index, and specifics about what order to search. For example, the PRL can designate that the user equipment look for PCS (1900Mhz) band prior to looking for cellular (~800Mhz) even for the same carrier, and those marked as native and those marked as friendly roam, or just roaming. In the decoded PRLs FR stands for friendly roam.

There's ways to view and edit the PRL. CDMA Workshop and other software programs presumably used by carriers themselves. Anyway, all of this stuff is old-school now. I'm not aware of a way to download a roaming partner list for LTE (and don't really know what that's called). I know the phones are updated automatically now, but even so I don't know how to download the roaming list etc. for LTE.

-Dan

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    None of the plans from recent years have any paid/additional cost roaming within the 50 states.

That’s strange why some areas still show “roaming” instead of Extended if all domestic roaming is FR now.

I found a file called ERI.plist, and it still has quite a few ERI’s that show “roaming”.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast