Thread: Educate me. Will this hotspot work?

Feedback Score

Educate me. Will this hotspot work?

I have some long road trips coming up and will really need to be getting stuff done in the car.

We don't have hotspot compatible phones and my brain kinda blows up when I start reading the forums about how to make that work.

Could this possibly be an answer? Could I just pop one of our current cricket SiMS into it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modem-USB-4...id=p5731.m3795

If this is a no go, and you have a budget friendly hotspot/service provider recommendation, I'd love to hear about it too.

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    From the description the device supports the necessary bands. If you put an unlimited SIM in it, you will get a notification from Cricket that you are using an unauthorized device type and to stop or face disconnection. Others will have to comment about use of this with a metered line. There will be one person who will comment that Cricket is too slow for tethering but that is incorrect.

Feedback Score
    What plan do you have ??
    You may get a warning about using your sim in an unauthorized device. Cricket is supposedly cracking down on illegal hotspot usage

Feedback Score
    So someone is going to give up the ability to call and text while it is on? If it's a one time thing pay the $10 for the month of usage. I think you can hotspot with virtually every Android an IOS phone for years. Are you feature phones? Do you have unlimited data?

I personally won't share my 3Mb connection. My old stereo was Android. If someone didn't have their own data I hate that for them. Even if it was work related that was their burden. I preferred XM, Waze and Pandora playing through my internet bandwidth.

Feedback Score
    there is a listing for one of these on amazon, but it says not compatible with AT&T Cricket H2O Verizon Sprint Net10 or Any CDMA Carrier.
    "Only Frequency 4G LTE: 700/1700/2100 MHz (Only Works On Tmobile in US) Modem Uses Standar USIM Card"

and a review left for it stated: "It worked, but as soon as I connected it to my laptop I received an unauthorized device message from cricket."
    After reading all the 1 star reviews I'd not be very confident in it working (or working reliably).

found an old topic on this forum about it https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...s-gizmo-before

Feedback Score
    You pay Cricket $10 extra for that month and you can use hotspot. If it is too much, switch to a postpaid carrier and let your boss to pay your bill since it is work related.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'd likely be throwing my money away on that.

I would gladly pay an easy $10, except it's my understanding that this would be a considered a change to my grandfathered plan and I'd lose it. So that's why I'm looking at options.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Don’t quote me on it but I believe it’s an add-on service and not a plan change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    Don’t quote me on it but I believe it’s an add-on service and not a plan change.
    I don't have time to look right now, but I'm pretty sure I've read about people adding an extra GB for the month and losing their grandfathered plan, so I'm assuming tethering is the same

Feedback Score
    I checked w/ CS and Cricketwireless.com: The $10.00/mo. hotspot add on is considered an added feature and NOT a plan change. It will NOT affect your grandfathered Group Save rate, or knock you off of a grandfathered plan.