Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ray @ MWC: T-Mobile will deploy blazing 5G this year

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Ray @ MWC: T-Mobile will deploy blazing 5G this year

"T-Mobile Chief Technology Officer Neville Ray said on Tuesday that it would deploy mobile 5G to 30 cities this year, including major metropolitan areas like New York, Los Angeles, Dallas and Las Vegas. The company still plans to launch the service next year and provide nationwide coverage by 2020."

T-Mobile will deploy blazing 5G this year, but you can't use it yet

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "Unlike the Duopoly, T-Mobile is focused on delivering a truly transformative 5G experience. One that works on actual smartphones – not nomadic “pucks” or fixed routers. One that works for customers nationwide – not just in some hotspots. And, one that works with today’s advanced LTE networks – T-Mobile’s is the fastest ever – by harnessing 4G and 5G simultaneously."

T-Mobile Building Out 5G in 30 Cities This Year …and That’s Just the Start
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-27-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Is this a new development? I am glad to see this. Los Angeles is the 2nd largest mobile market in the US and we usually don't get new mobile tech first so I'm stoked!

In preparation for 5G that means they are going to increase backhaul and local density so everyone wins.

I thought they were waiting to deploy it into the 2019-2020? This means it's getting a little hot in the 5G kitchen.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    So this is a new development. I am glad to see this.

I thought they were waiting to deploy it in 2019 into 2020. This means it's getting a little hot in the 5G kitchen.
    The 30 cities is new but T-Mobile has said they were going to deploy 5G in late 2018. Band 71 600 Mhz spectrum is something big to HoFo T-Mobile fans that are into technology. The vast majority of T-Mobile customers don't even know or care about spectrum issues. What people know is 5G is better and faster than 4G and that will get their attention for networks marketing that deploy 5G in their area. At the MWC 2018 the talk is mainly about 5G.

When AT&T sold their 600 Mhz after Verizon and Sprint never purchased it has damaged the future of 600 Mhz cell phones being produced. Sprint sells the S8 Active missing the B71. T-Mobile is the only network in the world that has Band 71 and T-Mobile needs to grow it's customer base fast if they want cell phone Mfg to support Band 71. I still think Verizon, Sprint not buying and AT&T selling their Band 71 is an attempt to damage the market for Band 71. T-Mobile best chance to grow it's customer base is having the best nation wide 5G.

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hope the Note 9 will support 5g, but I thought the x50 modem wasn't coming out till 2019. Hope they're pushing for it to come out faster than expected.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    ......When AT&T sold their 600 Mhz after Verizon and Sprint never purchased it has damaged the future of 600 Mhz cell phones being produced. ....
    There was a time when this was true. I don't think that time is today. Altho, phones sold by other carriers and in foreign markets may tend to ignore band-71, for a time.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    My guess is apple may ignore it the longest but I could be wrong

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    My guess is apple may ignore it the longest but I could be wrong
    Maybe. At least until either Apple and Qualcomm settle their differences or Intel provides a band-71 compatible chipset.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Apple would be remiss, to not make sure Band 71 is in the 2018 lineup.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If this gives a substantial speed increase over LTE, then I’ll be impressed. I am not going to buy the hype until I see real world speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    If this gives a substantial speed increase over LTE, then I’ll be impressed. I am not going to buy the hype until I see real world speeds.
    I'm with you. I would rather they take their time and do it right. I don't need them to be first but would prefer they be the best.

I'd hate to see a congested 5x5 5GNR network with DL speeds near 120 Kbps.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is worth the watch if hits on a lot of stuff... 80% of voice calls are on VoLTE and 97% of the data is on LTE layer.

Video Interview by PC-Mag of Mobile CTO Neville Ray on 5G Launches, Galaxy S9
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-28-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Go to the 7:20 mark on that Video also the 7:57 Mark of the interview of Neville. It is not going to be Gigbit but 5G will improved speed over 4G technology even with thin spectrum. Gigbit speeds in the real world will need mmWave that won't be on phones until 2019 and even then it will be rare with perfect conditions for someone to get Gigbit speeds. 5G will be between 20% to 25% more spectrum efficient than 4G on like spectrum values. EVEN on the Low Band spectrum 5G will be improved speed. NOTE, with a 5G phone you will use carrier aggregation with both 5G and 4G at the same time.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-28-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Feedback Score
    meanwhile I just did some speed tests w/ a friend's tmobile phone and never got more than 5Mbps at my home. Thats not going to cut it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Whenever NR talks, I feel like I should be taking notes. To me, the thing he emphasized is that was important is that there is no LTE vs 5G choice. It's not like 2G/3G/4G-LTE where you got to pick just one. In 5G your phone will be using LTE while it is simultaneously using the 5G signal. He also mentioned that 5G was only about 20% more spectrum-efficient than LTE. So, 5G, in and of itself, is not the solution to all problems. It has to be combined with other assets, like high-band and mm-wave spectrum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast