Thread: Google voice early media detection no longer working

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Google voice early media detection no longer working

I'm seeing some weird behavior with google voice/early media. Call comes in to the gv # which gets forwarded to my cricket #. I reject the call on the cricket phone. In the past, google would intercept the cricket early media/voice mail greeting and eventually answer with its own (google voice) greeting. Now it seems to pass the call onto the cricket voicemail system.

Cricket's CCF is set to forward to its own vm, not gv. Changing cricket's CCF to point to gv does fix the issue but introduces a new one. Now calls direct to the cricket # hear my custom gv greeting.

Don't recall making any changes that would affect this.

Thoughts?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If I'm understanding correctly, this is a fairly common issue with calls to a GV # forwarded to a # with it's own voicemail, and one that was discussed at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...warded-numbers .

The only fix I know about is to set the Call Screening option in GV to on, so you have to press "1" to answer a call to a GV # on a forwarded #.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I'm seeing some weird behavior with google voice/early media. Call comes in to the gv # which gets forwarded to my cricket #. I reject the call on the cricket phone. In the past, google would intercept the cricket early media/voice mail greeting and eventually answer with its own (google voice) greeting. Now it seems to pass the call onto the cricket voicemail system.

Thoughts?
    Apples and oranges since I am on the Verizon network, but what you describe is what I have always experienced using GV.

If I dismiss the call VZ VM picks up, if I let the call ring through GV VM picks up.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @ls61^^Really. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what changed. There'd be the occasional call to the forwarded carrier number directly which I ignored, resulting in a carrier voice mail. I don't recall ever hearing the carrier vm when declining test calls placed to the gv #.

Then there's all the flack about gv not passing early media, now of a sudden it is. Wish google would let us control this setting. It's helpful in some situations, a nuisance in others.

@Boz, I don't want to deal with having to press 1. Majority of the calls come in while i'm at the computer and interacting with the google voice number through the pbx.

For now the best workaround I came up with was to set a custom greeting for all my contacts. Anonymous callers get the system standard. That still leaves non-contacts which also get the custom greeting.

What'd I'd really like is calls to gv (except anonymous) to get the custom greeting and calls direct to the carrier number to get the carrier vm.

Also, something definitely did change. In the last few months (3-4?) callcentric's ivr (early media) is now passed on to google voice calls forwarded to a CC DID. This was not the case in the past.

You probably don't have this issue with FP as there's no 'real' carrier number involved, just google chat.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    In the past, google would intercept the cricket early media/voice mail greeting and eventually answer with its own (google voice) greeting. Now it seems to pass the call onto the cricket voicemail system.
    What evidence do you have that Cricket's voicemail greeting uses early media? Is it a generic message that can't be changed? If you can leave your own custom greeting it's not using early media.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100
    Then there's all the flack about gv not passing early media, now of a sudden it is.
    Again, what evidence do you have that GV is suddenly passing early media? I strongly doubt that is the case. Google Voice must ignore early media or its call forwarding system would not work properly. There's a reason Hangouts passes early media and Google Voice does not.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100
    Also, something definitely did change. In the last few months (3-4?) callcentric's ivr (early media) is now passed on to google voice calls forwarded to a CC DID. This was not the case in the past.
    Once more, what is your evidence for this? Callcentric's telemarketer block (which is an IVR) definitely uses early media and does not work with GV. It still doesn't. Same goes with the "busy tone" and "error messages" call treatments. They can't be used with GV.

However, Callcentric's IVR (Automated Attendant) does not use early media and has always worked with Google Voice.

As far as declining incoming Cricket cell calls it is acting exactly as I would expect it would. I'm unclear how it has been acting for you in the past, but if CCF is not pointing at GV then when you decline the call you are basically routing the call to Cricket voicemail. At least that's how I've experienced it.

AFAIK, nothing has changed regarding early media vis-à-vis Callcentric and Google Voice. Apparently something has changed regarding your cell voicemail interacting with GV but I'm uncertain what it might be.

Feedback Score
    Yes. Indeed that is what I also see.

When my phone that the GV forwards to rings, if I decline the call over there, then the carrier voice mail or standard message that "voicemail has not been setup" plays to the caller. So, I mute the phone and let it ring (muted) till the Google Voice's 25 sec ring period is done. Then the GV voice mail plays to the caller.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @taoman54

The only evidence I have is past functionality. The carrier number was configured to conditionally forward calls to the carrier's own voice mail system. On occasion I'd receive carrier voice mails from numbers which were not in the google voice call log. There was no notification email from gv that said call was missed and a vm left. This indicates the caller dialed the carrier number, not the google voice number.

On the other hand, calls to the gv number never made it to the carrier VM in the past.