Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint continues to lose to T-Mobile

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sprint continues to lose to T-Mobile

A friend of mine came over to my house with his Sprint phone bill. It's almost $700. He's an older man, in his 70's. He told me that he's been with Sprint for 20 years and hasn't changed his calling habbits much in that time. His bill is usually $130 or so a month. He's on some kind of "minutes" plan from years ago that allows for weekends free, calls between certain hours are a special price, etc. Obviously he's unaware of newer, less expensive, unlimited plans.

He showed me his bill. He called a neighbor about four streets away and talked to him for a few hours. Got charged about $40 for that one call. There were other LOCAL calls on his bill that added up to $70 at times. It was outrageous.

So, he called customer service and I got to hear the whole thing on speaker phone. The first person he was connected with could barely enunciate anything clearly. Horrible person to be working at a job in which good communication skills are required. He finally got upset and they transferred him to another department with a much more professional, clearly speaking person. It was explained that calls had been made outside of special rate hours, etc. He was confused because he claimed he hadn't ever changed his calling habbits over the years.

My friend asked if there was anything they could do for him. If not, he was going to pay the bill and then leave Sprint for T-Mobile. After about a 15 minute wait they offered him a $100 credit off the bill and they'd sign him up for a $60 monthly unlimited plan. I couldn't believe their ineptitude.

My friend is going to pay off the $700 bill and leave Sprint after 20 years.

Good job Sprint.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I have similar story to share. I have a coworker who has been with sprint since the 90s. His bill is $130+ a month and all he gets is 700 minutes nationwide with free weekends, 500 SMS and 1GB of data or so.

Its an absolute joke, you'd think as a company that keeps bleeding customers you'd do whatever you can to retain existing customers by giving them free upgrades to cheaper plans that are unlimited but hell no, you milk them good. While I don't want sprint go go bankrupt as we need competition, the way they're operating is like they want to go bankrupt. That's what sprint customer loyalty gets you.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That is almost unthinkable it is so stupid. They should have explained newer unlimited plans, switched him over and started it at the month they were in so the calls were covered and waived the huge bill. Your friend would have been happy and stayed with Sprint. Just stupid.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good story and I feel for the man. The plan he is on is what cell phone pricing was before John Legere created the Un-Carrier and blew up the Anti-competition collusion between networks to keep cell phone prices high. I had to get a lawyer to fight AT&T that charged me for moving my number after paying off my account just a few hours before my two year contract ended at Midnight that day. I left Sprint when they refused to let me go month by month without another 2 year contract when my current 2 year contract expired. I remember my AT&T plan that I paid 25 cents for each text sent or received on top of my charges for voice calls for limited minutes and a time schedule for when I was paying a higher price for calls before 7PM. One of the many reasons I love T-Mobile is they destroyed that Cell Phone Industry Rip Off not just for them but for the entire industry.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Not surprised to see tmobile make the better decisions when compared to sprint. One thing with me is that my phone purchases now are heavily influenced by b71. Just sold my iPhone se and won't buy another iPhone without b71, no question.

TMobile isn't perfect by any means but they have come out with some nice changes for the overall market.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Considering the fact that their customer service is as bad as ever is the reason why I don't believe anything will be better than previous on their network/deployment end. I'm even hearing the same lines they used years ago such as "we can install the equipment now then add a channel card later on for 5G so we don't have to climb a tower again later". Which was never true, B41 was supposedly deployable with the addition of a channel card from NV 1.0 but they ended up going around and adding 8T8R antennas to every site. Those antennas never got fully taken advantage of from what I can tell and now they're moving onto massive MIMO.

At their level of competence they'll spend two years playing catch up and be further behind the others than when they started.

They're more than welcome to prove me wrong though.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Yeah anything is possible but sprint seems to be buying time to figure things out and decide what they want to do.

For a while I wondered how serious TMobile was about upgrades and figured they just wanted a sale. After they spent on the auction and with how they are building out it's clear TMobile is serious even if a merger deal comes out later on.

Hard to say the same for sprint. It was clearly an investment for sb without realizing how sprint was and also the competitiveness of the current market

Sprint was top dog in the 90s so anything is possible

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    A friend of mine came over to my house with his Sprint phone bill. It's almost $700. He's an older man, in his 70's. He told me that he's been with Sprint for 20 years and hasn't changed his calling habbits much in that time. His bill is usually $130 or so a month. He's on some kind of "minutes" plan from years ago that allows for weekends free, calls between certain hours are a special price, etc. Obviously he's unaware of newer, less expensive, unlimited plans.

He showed me his bill. He called a neighbor about four streets away and talked to him for a few hours. Got charged about $40 for that one call. There were other LOCAL calls on his bill that added up to $70 at times. It was outrageous.

So, he called customer service and I got to hear the whole thing on speaker phone. The first person he was connected with could barely enunciate anything clearly. Horrible person to be working at a job in which good communication skills are required. He finally got upset and they transferred him to another department with a much more professional, clearly speaking person. It was explained that calls had been made outside of special rate hours, etc. He was confused because he claimed he hadn't ever changed his calling habbits over the years.

My friend asked if there was anything they could do for him. If not, he was going to pay the bill and then leave Sprint for T-Mobile. After about a 15 minute wait they offered him a $100 credit off the bill and they'd sign him up for a $60 monthly unlimited plan. I couldn't believe their ineptitude.

My friend is going to pay off the $700 bill and leave Sprint after 20 years.

Good job Sprint.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app
    I have seen the same crap at a Verizon store. I went in with my son to get he cheapest pre-paid plan possible and a woman in front of us was complaining of her high bills. She talked about how her kids told her she should just use wifi at home, but in the end she got switched to Verizon's unlimited plan.

Part of you wants to walk up and talk some sense into the woman, but at the same time, you know the store rep would do everything in his power to screw you over when it's your turn.

Feedback Score
    There is one huge issue with Sprint: after Verizon de-facto killing CDMA on 07/01/2018 (no new activations for CDMA devices), Sprint will be only remaining large CDMA carrier in the world (excluding China, but they have their own CDMA standard which is incompatible with rest of the world). As result of this, CDMA compatible devices will be very expensive to produce because of low demand. So, it will be very limited choice of phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    There is one huge issue with Sprint: after Verizon de-facto killing CDMA on 07/01/2018 (no new activations for CDMA devices), Sprint will be only remaining large CDMA carrier in the world (excluding China, but they have their own CDMA standard which is incompatible with rest of the world). As result of this, CDMA compatible devices will be very expensive to produce because of low demand. So, it will be very limited choice of phones.
    Where did you hear that? VZW is not shutting down CDMA until 2020-2021

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    @RFK was clear in that he said "no new activations for CDMA devices". CDMA will continue to run for some time.

I actually don't understand what Verizon gains in killing CDMA on 850 MHz. The screwy way the 850 band is allocated means that there's not a lot they can do with the extra bits. Now, if the FCC and 850 licensees decided to rationalize the band, that would be different. Anyone hear about anything along that line?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    @RFK was clear in that he said "no new activations for CDMA devices". CDMA will continue to run for some time.

I actually don't understand what Verizon gains in killing CDMA on 850 MHz. The screwy way the 850 band is allocated means that there's not a lot they can do with the extra bits. Now, if the FCC and 850 licensees decided to rationalize the band, that would be different. Anyone hear about anything along that line?
    It's all about not having to maintain all of that ancient CDMA gear anymore. I'm sure if it cost them nothing they'd keep that last sliver of CDMA850 live indefinitely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post

As of now, last day of Verizon CDMA and EV-DO networks is 12/31/2019. Starting from 07/01/2018 only LTE phones with VoLTE support will be activated in Verizon network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post

I actually don't understand what Verizon gains in killing CDMA on 850 MHz.
    They do not want to support CDMA equipment (switches and other back equipment).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    They do not want to support CDMA equipment (switches and other back equipment).
    If they do shutdown what happens with that last 5mhz of spectrum?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast