Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone but Samsung working on band-71 phones?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Anyone but Samsung working on band-71 phones?

I've been playing around with the FCC's Equipment Authorization database search and can't find any handsets in the 663-698 MHz range since 12/1/'17 that were submitted by anyone but Samsung. This is supposed to be a season when manufactures announce their new models.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Everything I've seen and heard only mention Samsung.

Even an apple genius (I realize they won't know everything) told me the rumored 3 new iPhones apple has coming out this year most likely won't have b71.

Would be nice to have some that are a few hundred at the most whether they are iPhones, Samsung's, motorolas or whatever brands come out with it.

It's looking more and more likely I'll be a Samsung customer before too long. Still hesitating to see where prices go

My guess they is LG will have another 71 model before long.

TMobile rep said a new revl is planned with b71.
    Last edited by eddiehaskell; 03-01-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I've been playing around with the FCC's Equipment Authorization database search and can't find any handsets in the 663-698 MHz range since 12/1/'17 that were submitted by anyone but Samsung. This is supposed to be a season when manufactures announce their new models.
    Seems like there was a relative dearth of new phone announcements at MWC 2018. How soon before launch do phones usually appear on the FCC list?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derkaiser View Post
    Seems like there was a relative dearth of new phone announcements at MWC 2018. How soon before launch do phones usually appear on the FCC list?
    Not sure. The S9 (SMG960U) and S9+ (SMG965U) both have "Final Action" dates of 1/19/'18. I'll also admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it come to the is and outs of the FCC's Equipment Authorization database.

P.S. The S8 Active (SMG892U) was 10/20/'17 and I have not found the LG-V30 listed.
    P.P.S. I actually found the V30A but it doesn't list any frequencies in the 663-698 MHz range.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 03-01-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Feedback Score
    I am interested in finding out whether new Moto phones support b71, but none were announced in 2018 yet.

Feedback Score
    LG will certainly support B71 in its flagships. They have been very proactive with band 66 and 71, there is no reason for them not to implement b71 in their flagships.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    i belive that band 71 is the 600 mhz spectrum. leaving only the samsung s8 active and the LG v 30 that support it right now and maybe the new samsung s9

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if Motorola will have 71 in their fagships this year

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Everything I've seen and heard only mention Samsung.

Even an apple genius (I realize they won't know everything) told me the rumored 3 new iPhones apple has coming out this year most likely won't have b71.

Would be nice to have some that are a few hundred at the most whether they are iPhones, Samsung's, motorolas or whatever brands come out with it.

It's looking more and more likely I'll be a Samsung customer before too long. Still hesitating to see where prices go

My guess they is LG will have another 71 model before long.

TMobile rep said a new revl is planned with b71.
    I wouldn't believe anything an apple genius says...They have no insight as to what Apple corp is doing inside their products until the final announcement.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    I wonder if Motorola will have 71 in their fagships this year
    Quote Originally Posted by derkaiser View Post
    I am interested in finding out whether new Moto phones support b71, but none were announced in 2018 yet.
    As well as Honor, Huawei, ZTE, One Plus, Sony, Blu, Nokia and any other popular unlocked phone I may have forgotten.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Is there any hope for iPhones to finally support band 71??? It was a bummer that iPhone 8 and X didn’t. I really don’t wanna wait for the new iPhone announcement anymore.  has failed me with multiple reason that i have. I may have to switch to Samsung s9 but only thing keeping me at iPhone is iMessage and FaceTime. Idk

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    I suspect Apple could support B71, after all, the newer Intel modems will likely have better band support and will be far closer to what Qualcomm is doing. Amazing what Apple bucks pumped into Intel can do.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    I suspect Apple could support B71, after all, the newer Intel modems will likely have better band support and will be far closer to what Qualcomm is doing. Amazing what Apple bucks pumped into Intel can do.
    Intel drops billions into R&D each year, the apple bucks are drop in the bucket for them. They want to desperately get into other markets outside of X86 which is stale. Intel unlikely to ever catch up to qualcomm. They will always trail behind.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold,Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Intel drops billions into R&D each year, the apple bucks are drop in the bucket for them. They want to desperately get into other markets outside of X86 which is stale. Intel unlikely to ever catch up to qualcomm. They will always trail behind.
    Do you know how much Intel spends specifically on modem development compared to their x86 chips? Probably a fraction of a percent compared to the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Do you know how much Intel spends specifically on modem development compared to their x86 chips? Probably a fraction of a percent compared to the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Such detailed information is not released to shareholders, but based on their recent Q4 filings they made around 571 million which is up from 104 million in December 2016 on mobile sales which is not exclusively modem sales, also includes mobile chipsets but I expect the large chunk of that money to be modem sales to apple. Look at the earnings yourself and see how much Intel spends in R&D. Majority of it will be X86 chips as its bread and butter of the company.

Intel dumped over 10 billion to catch up in mobile space, they will need those apple bux for a very very long time to get their money back. Besides the way apple running things and people getting sick of buying the same phone each year does not make me optimistic that they will anytime soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast