Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coverage (att) in Va & Wv

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Question Coverage (att) in Va & Wv

Sections in the mountains in Va & Wv (Summersville) only has service from ATT. No service from Tmobile. When you use a ATT sim BYOP, do you get the full coverage of AT&T? Coverage map shows no coverage.

Name:  screenshot-www.tracfone.com-2018-03-01-16-01-12.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  53.7 KB

Feedback Score
    you get full native AT&T coverage on tracfone's byop sim there's no roaming.
    check AT&T's prepaid coverage map.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I was hoping that was the answer. I usually pop in an ATT sim but I see the Tracfone is a lot cheaper.

Any problems with using Tracfone BYOP sim and later switching back to my CDN carrier? They don't program or add anything? Just put in SIM and talk away, just like using ATT?

Feedback Score
    you shouldn't have any problems switching sims. just make sure that your phone is unlocked.

Feedback Score
    That Mosaik/Aeris map is pretty strange compared to the AT&T map of the same area. Tried it in other known areas and got the same results.

Name:  Voice and Data Coverage from AT T.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  144.6 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    So how does tracfone work. On their website I see only to add a plan and you have to put in your phone number.

So if I order my sim in advance and hold on to it until I need it, do I (when I'm ready) activate it, get a phone number and then add my plan? Is that correct? And is there a time period that I have to activate it and use it within from when I buy the sim? Can I buy it 4 or 6 months in advance or does it have to be used right away?

I ask because I bought an ATT sim and I'm holding onto it until I need it and there's no time limit. Wondering if I get a Tracfone sim, if I can hold onto it until I need it too or do I have to use it right after I buy it

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IP Nightly View Post
    So how does tracfone work. On their website I see only to add a plan and you have to put in your phone number.

So if I order my sim in advance and hold on to it until I need it, do I (when I'm ready) activate it, get a phone number and then add my plan? Is that correct?
    The Tracfone web site asked for a phone number to determine what type of existing phone you have on Tracfone in order to present the appropriate time plans/cards. Since you don't have one yet, it's a moot question.

In a current TF BYOP SIM Kit, there are SIMs for Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile. I've read in this forum that the T-mobile SIMs have time limit, the Verizon and AT&T SIMs don't. You can buy the kit ahead of time and activate the AT&T SIM whenever you're ready.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Perfect

Thank you everybody for your help

Feedback Score
    I was hoping that was the answer. I usually pop in an ATT sim but I see the Tracfone is a lot cheaper.

Any problems with using Tracfone BYOP sim and later switching back to my CDN carrier? They don't program or add anything? Just put in SIM and talk away, just like using ATT?
    You will need to change the APN for whichever SIM is installed for it to work. Otherwise, there is no problem changing SIMs whenever you want to.

The smartphone SIM has to used in a six month period to remain active.

You may want to get the old triple unit SIM. They will use either kind of service card.

A SIM from Tracfone will be for the new smartphone only service cards.

If you order from Tracfone and there is a scintilla of T-Mobile signal where they think you are that is what they will send. I don't think you want T-Mo in WV. Oddly enough, Verizon does not cover WV well either.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help, just bought https://www.ebay.ca/itm/263508992934

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help, just bought https://www.ebay.ca/itm/263508992934
    That's the newer Smartphone SIM kit. You will be able to use only the Smartphone service cards. They do not triple, the minutes/texts/data amounts shown on the card are what you get.

The only problem with using a TF AT&T SIM is that if you let the service lapse, you will need a new SIM to re-activate.

Device(s)
    Moto E4, ZTE Blade Max 3
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You will need to change the APN for whichever SIM is installed for it to work. Otherwise, there is no problem changing SIMs whenever you want to.

The smartphone SIM has to used in a six month period to remain active.

You may want to get the old triple unit SIM. They will use either kind of service card.

A SIM from Tracfone will be for the new smartphone only service cards.

If you order from Tracfone and there is a scintilla of T-Mobile signal where they think you are that is what they will send. I don't think you want T-Mo in WV. Oddly enough, Verizon does not cover WV well either.
    You are unlikely to get a T-Mo SIM for any WV zip code, especially in the Summersville area. The first map in this thread is not representative of AT&T coverage, the Prepaid map is more realistic. And Verizon does cover western and central WV fairly well, but much of the whited out area in the east is US Cellular territory. TracFone CDMA once covered both, I don't believe it does now. I used to travel with a Verizon SIM, but switched to AT&T because of this several years ago. And, in case you don't know, much of that whited out area east of Summersville is due to the need to minimize cell and radio signals for the Green Bank Observatory. Not much FM reception there, either, except for a series of low power transmitters for the locals.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave940 View Post
    You are unlikely to get a T-Mo SIM for any WV zip code, especially in the Summersville area. The first map in this thread is not representative of AT&T coverage, the Prepaid map is more realistic. And Verizon does cover western and central WV fairly well, but much of the whited out area in the east is US Cellular territory. TracFone CDMA once covered both, I don't believe it does now. I used to travel with a Verizon SIM, but switched to AT&T because of this several years ago. And, in case you don't know, much of that whited out area east of Summersville is due to the need to minimize cell and radio signals for the Green Bank Observatory. Not much FM reception there, either, except for a series of low power transmitters for the locals.
    Thanks Dave. My map in the first post was from Tracfone website and that why I highlighted where I needed coverage. I usually use AT&T and do know their prepaid has service and coverage. Luckily I got the info and answers I needed. Y'all confirmed that I could get an AT&T Tracfone SIM and get the same coverage I'm used to using. My sim kit should arrive in a few days.

I did not know why that area is all white so thanks for the explanation. Time to google it and see what it is.

Thanks y'all

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I got my SIM cards today. I'll be using the AT&T card.
    So how do I get service? I only need it for 1 month in May.
    I can see where to go and activate it and put in the sim #.
    Then I have to buy a pin, right?
    I was looking at the $15.00/200min/500txt/500MB
    Am I correct that if I'm running low on date, at any time I can just add the $10.00/1GB?
    Are there any promo codes that will double the data?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I got my SIM cards today. I'll be using the AT&T card.
    So how do I get service? I only need it for 1 month in May.
    I can see where to go and activate it and put in the sim #.
    Then I have to buy a pin, right?
    I was looking at the $15.00/200min/500txt/500MB
    Am I correct that if I'm running low on data, at any time I can just add the $10.00/1GB?
    Are there any promo codes that will double the data?
    Since you've seen where to go and activate the SIM, that is the right place. The site will ask if you have a time card/PIN or want to transfer from an existing phone on TF service.

You can add a data and/or text card when you run low BUT THERE MUST BE SERVICE DAYS LEFT, because those cards don't add any service days.

There's a list of promo codes on Turk Forums . You might have to register to see it. That list spans many pages, but if you jump to the top of ANY page, the current codes are "stickied" to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast