Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SafeLink/TracFone and Internet...?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Amp 2
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink/TracFone, Pic taking only
    Feedback Score

Question SafeLink/TracFone and Internet...?

I am retired and have been a SafeLink Customer since before 2012. I have just used it for Talking Some and Texting even More...! I started with a Flip then a LG500GHL and Now I have a Samsung Galaxy Amp 2 that I am using but I cannot get a Internet Connection...!

I bought an Alcatel Pixi Avion for a Back-Up if They don't/won't Allow the Galaxy...! I was told by My DSL Service that I could use the Phone thru Them to connect to the WWW but I can't get into the ATT Modem as the Password on it is Not Recognized...! Still waiting to hear back from Their C/S...! As far as the C/S of SafeLink and TracFone There isn't any...!

I just want to use the Int for the Coupon Apps with My Local Shopping so I am not worried about excessive usage as it is Only Me and Kitty and She doesn't use the Phone much at all...!

Any Tips/Tricks will bee Greatly Appreciated...!
    Live Long and Prosper....

Feedback Score
    either you need to set up the APN settings on the phone or you may need to buy a data card for data access.
    what plan do you currently have ??

Device(s)
    Galaxy Amp 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have SafeLink which is Also Tracfone and the C/S Reps have said Nothing about Data Cards...! As for My Internet Company They told Me to Hold the Rest Button for 25 seconds, give the Modem another up to 6 minutes before trying to Connect Again...! The Modem won't allow Me to connect to it using the Password that is on the Label...! I let Them know this over an Hour ago and am still waiting for Them to get back to Me...! At one Store I Shop at there is a Woman sitting outside with Free Phone Service with another company(Alliance, I Think)...! I am Seriously Tempted to talk with Her and let SafeLink/TracFone Hit the Curb...! This is getting ridiculous as it has been going on since last week with Nothing Definite being done except by Me...! The Phones the Lady has are HTC...! They look like the Galaxy Amp 2 just a Tad Smaller... but They will connect to the Internet where Mine Won't...!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gw1110 View Post
    I am retired and have been a SafeLink Customer since before 2012. I have just used it for Talking Some and Texting even More...! I started with a Flip then a LG500GHL and Now I have a Samsung Galaxy Amp 2 that I am using but I cannot get a Internet Connection...!

I was told by My DSL Service that I could use the Phone thru Them to connect to the WWW but I can't get into the ATT Modem as the Password on it is Not Recognized...!
    Connection to Wifi doesn't need cell service, so Tracfone/Safelink is not a factor in your problem. You mentioned DSL and modem, how is your computer connected to the modem? via a blue (ethernet) cable or via Wifi? Is there a router connected to your modem? Do you have any other devices (computer, tablet, cell phone) that can successfully connect to your WiFi?

If there's a Walmart store near you, go there and try to connect to their Wifi (which does not require a password). If your phone cannot connect to it, there's a problem with your phone, and it's not due to Tracfone/Safelink service.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    either you need to set up the APN settings on the phone or you may need to buy a data card for data access.
    what plan do you currently have ??
    The OP is having problem connecting to WiFi. An Android phone doesn't need an APN set up to access WiFi.

Feedback Score
    OP needs to be clearer. No Data through cell service or no Data through isp, which is it?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    OP needs to be clearer. No Data through cell service or no Data through isp, which is it?
    OP said he was trying to go on the Internet through his AT&T DSL Modem.

Feedback Score
    I got it now. Sounds like it's just a PW problem. Can't AT&T just reset the PW?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    A valid question. The OP seems to have given up on cell service Internet, and went to the alternate of using WiFi through their ISP. SafeLink does provide data, so that should work. So there are two questions here: 1) Why does Cell network Internet not work? 2) What is the problem with using their ISP (AT&T?) for Internet?

Feedback Score
    Now there's free data too? Wow.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The OP seems to have given up on cell service Internet, and went to the alternate of using WiFi through their ISP. So there are two questions here: 1) Why does Cell network Internet not work? 2) What is the problem with using their ISP (AT&T?) for Internet?
    1) Where in this thread that the OP ever mentioned trying to access the Internet throught cell service?
    2) The OP said the Wifi would not accept the password.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    1) Where in this thread that the OP ever mentioned trying to access the Internet throught cell service?
    2) The OP said the Wifi would not accept the password.
    1. A curious omission is the OP did not mention cell Internet service. They did mention a concern with data use, which would only be a factor with the cell network.
    2. The OP's problems with their WiFi and ISP are local to that use. We can't know the details of that here without further information. It was asked if anything else worked on the WiFi network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Now there's free data too? Wow.
    350 minutes talk and text + 1Gb data, except California which has unlimited talk and text + 2GB data. Free smartphone or BYOP too!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Amp 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wow, Seems I Peaked Some Interest...! THANKS..!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Amp 2 and while I am going around on My Errands the screen shows available Networks to Connect to but I can't connect because I Know Not what their Passwords are... I know SafeLink/TracFone Phones are getting Internet Service because I see them in Action while Shopping...! I can't seem to make Safe/Trac Understand that I want to use the Phone to connect to the Internet so I can d/l and use the Coupon Apps, most all of the Customer Service Reps are speaking with a Indian(India) Accent. I got thru to one a couple of weeks ago and She assured Me that All was OK with My Account... Still LMAO at that because two days ago I was given a New Enrollment Number for My SafeLink Account...!

I finally got connected to the Wifi with My ATT Modem, seems at the very end of the Password there is a (=) sign which I was not using because it was hidden on another screen on My Phone, I noticed a (1/2) showing and said "what the Heck" and tapped it and Viola another set of Symbols Popped Up and there was the (=) symbol...! This is not really a Solution to My Situation as the Wifi Sig from My Modem is only good for a few feet, if I go outside and check the Wifi Access My Modem doesn't even show up so in essence I still won't be able to use the Coupon Apps for Shopping unless Dollar General, Family Dollar and Winn Dixie have Open Hot Spots...!

I have another Option beside the Lady with the Other Service, I used to have an Account with Freedom Pop and They have Very Reasonable Rates so I may just check with Them and see if They will Allow Me to Use My Galaxy Amp 2 with Their Service...! I will check with Them later today as I have to be going to different places today to stock up on My and Kitty's Food...!

A BIG THANKS to All for the Replies... Hope what I just posted sheds some-more light on My Situation...! Thanks Again, Have A Great Day and May GOD Bless You and Yours...gw..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gw1110 View Post
    most all of the Customer Service Reps are speaking with a Indian(India) Accent.
    Next time you need to contact TF, use the CHAT function on their Web site. The Chat reps are usually more competent, and you don't have to deal with their accent.

Wifi Sig from My Modem is only good for a few feet, if I go outside and check the Wifi Access My Modem doesn't even show up so in essence I still won't be able to use the Coupon Apps for Shopping unless Dollar General, Family Dollar and Winn Dixie have Open Hot Spots...!
    Home Wifi signal usually has a range of 30 to 50 ft. When you go to stores and places that don't have free-access Wifi, you can turn on Data on your phone and use it to get on the Internet. The posts above say Safelink customers now get 1GB of Data per month (2GB in California). That should be enough for your usage. Try it a few times when you want to use your Coupon Apps, then go into Settings-->Data and see how much Data was used. If it's way below 1GB, no problems. If it's close to 1GB, then either reduce your usage, or buy a Data card when your Data balance is low.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast