Thread: Speedsmart: T-Mobile Dethroned by Verizon for month of February Speed it up Neville

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Speedsmart: T-Mobile Dethroned by Verizon for month of February Speed it up Neville

https://speedsmart.net/wireless_index/feb_2018/

Notable Points. February 2018
    For February 2018 Verizon and T-Mobile are both still the run away when it comes to network performance on a nationwide level, on average they both are significantly faster than AT&T and Sprint in most places across the country. In our top 40 city list Verizon & T-Mobile take the top spot in 34 of 40 cities with a very apparent gap between the top 2 and bottom 2 in our long-term chart.

An interesting note, since November 2017 T-Mobile appears to have plateaued showing very little to no gain in nationwide average download speed. We have also noticed this in many cities across the US. This is part of the reason T-Mobile has lost the top spot, no gains while Verizon has made performance gains. Sprint continues to see gains month over month in performance, while still clearly the #4 carrier network wise they are getting so close to breaking 20 Mbps average nation-wide. Sprint has made some nice improvements over the past year.

What's it about?
    That's what this "State of LTE in the US" index answers monthly. All data for this index is crowd sourced and gathered through the SpeedSmart Speed Test app for iOS and Android. Every month users take millions of speed tests using our app, this gives us an edge because our data is provided only by users not by ISP's or companies driving around in a van. That means we get real data from real people using their device in normal ways and at locations like your home or office, places you actually use data. The index is updated monthly so be sure to check back and see who's the fastest.

What is this 200 point scale thing?
    It's a simple system we use to award a winner each month. A network is given 10 points for each section (Fastest Download, Fastest Upload, or Lowest Latency) they win, 5 points for each region won for download or upload speed, 3 points per city where the network has the fastest LTE download will be given. There is 200 total points available, the network with the most points is the fastest for the current month.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is expected as T-Mobile deploys B71, B66 and B46 for LAA small cells replacing some antenna and equipment on towers. This is "crowd sourced" test with people that have few phones that supports all of T-Mobile bands. We don't even have the S9/S9+ out in the hands of people yet that will be the first phone to do B71 and add other T-Mobile bands for speed with CA. There are going to be growing pains as people will take time to get better phones especially for crowd sourced testing.

Verizon hasn't added any bands other than Band 46 for LAA. AT&T is adding Band 14 for First Net but they are going to improve speed as customers get new phones that support B14.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    ...... AT&T is adding Band 14 for First Net but they are going to improve speed as customers get new phones that support B14.
    So a lot of folks on the AT&T forum would have us believe. I'm not so sure. The assumption is that band-14 is going to be greenfield spectrum just for AT&T's customers. They totally neglect the fact that government users get absolute, preemptive, first priority on band-14. In NYC, LA, Chicago, all the places where networks are already congested, band-14 will also get congested. Out in the country, where there is no congestion, band-14 will help a lot. FirstNet may help a lot with economies of scale. It will certainly motivate AT&T to increase their footprint and harden their network, even more that it already is. Helping congestion in big cities? I'm skeptical.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    So a lot of folks on the AT&T forum would have us believe. I'm not so sure. The assumption is that band-14 is going to be greenfield spectrum just for AT&T's customers. They totally neglect the fact that government users get absolute, preemptive, first priority on band-14. In NYC, LA, Chicago, all the places where networks are already congested, band-14 will also get congested. Out in the country, where there is no congestion, band-14 will help a lot. FirstNet may help a lot with economies of scale. It will certainly motivate AT&T to increase their footprint and harden their network, even more that it already is. Helping congestion in big cities? I'm skeptical.
    Excellent points. I see a lot of blind optimism surrounding band 14. You made an excellent point about first responders getting absolute and total priority on that band. It's only a 10x10. Ask a Verizon customer how quickly 10Mhz of download can get destroyed. Especially over a large area.

Here's another point I would add, they have most certainly not committed to deploying 14 everywhere in the near future. Eventually, sure. But you can bet they will oversubscribe the network with as many new FR customers as they possibly can, whether or not 14 is actually deployed in that area.

Making matters even worse, those FR customers get top priority and preemption, period. They don't need to hope and pray 14 is deployed in that area to bump other customers, it's already happening.

Ultimately, this will be very good for AT&T (and its customers), but any optimism in the short and mid term needs to be tempered by the reality that there will be growing pains for a very long time.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well I posted and deleted my opinion that I would be surprised if AT&T let customers use the First Responder Band 14. I deleted that after I checked out the AT&T cell phones and saw the new Samsung S9 supports Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 18, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 66 on their S9 Tech Specs Wireless. Sure wish it had Band 46 for LAA Small Cells but since it doesn't have B71 I know that this is Carrier Network specific.

BTW, AT&T iPhone X doesn't support Band 14 on their page.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    I've had both T-Mobile and Verizon slow down a lot depending on where I was at the time and both have been blazing fast other times in the same spot

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is expected as T-Mobile deploys B71, B66 and B46 for LAA small cells replacing some antenna and equipment on towers. This is "crowd sourced" test with people that have few phones that supports all of T-Mobile bands. We don't even have the S9/S9+ out in the hands of people yet that will be the first phone to do B71 and add other T-Mobile bands for speed with CA. There are going to be growing pains as people will take time to get better phones especially for crowd sourced testing.

Verizon hasn't added any bands other than Band 46 for LAA. AT&T is adding Band 14 for First Net but they are going to improve speed as customers get new phones that support B14.
    I agree. I fully expect T-Mobile to regain the speed crown all around as they open up new LTE carriers, turn up small cells and increase backhaul.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    S8 active from tmobile has band 71. But the s9 devices will be more available
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Was getting 80 down on Verizon this morning and 60 down a few minutes ago so Verizon seems to have gotten faster for me in some spots. Depends on location

TMobile is usually fast but has slowed some so it's all relative