Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any way to send/receive MMS messages (photo texts) when on WiFi only?

Feedback Score

Question Any way to send/receive MMS messages (photo texts) when on WiFi only?

I'm a new Tracfone customer as of a few weeks ago, using an iPhone 6+ on the BYOP plan.

Today I noticed I was not able to send or receive photos via text message when I had my cellular data turned off.

I updated some of the settings, and as soon as I turned it back on, the messages started to go through.

Is it simply not possible to send or receive them when cellular data is turned off?

Feedback Score
    Are you trying to send them to a phone number or to an email address, which one?

Feedback Score
    To a phone number

Feedback Score
    WiFi is for internet-related things. It cannot do anything with a phone number. Only the phone company can decipher phone numbers, so you will have to utilize their services i.e. data.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Ziss View Post
    Today I noticed I was not able to send or receive photos via text message when I had my cellular data turned off.
    Is it simply not possible to send or receive them when cellular data is turned off?
    Taking your two sentences together, the answer is No. But based strictly on the thread's title "Any way to send/receive MMS messages (photo texts) when on WiFi only?", the answer is Yes. While on WiFi, you can SEND an email with attachment to a phone number if you know which carrier it is on, and it will arrive as an MMS. If the phone number is on AT&T, you can send the email with attachment to [email protected] . If the phone number is on Verizon, it'll be [email protected] or [email protected] .

Feedback Score
    And if you have a Google Voice number, at least on Android you can use the Google Voice app to send/receive SMS and MMS picture messages with WiFi to phone numbers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    And if you have a Google Voice number, at least on Android you can use the Google Voice app to send/receive SMS and MMS picture messages with WiFi to phone numbers.
    Again with Google voice.. Has nothing to do with this thread.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Wannabe moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Again with Google voice.. Has nothing to do with this thread.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Also, in the case of AT&T, there is a MMS size limitation using the email address. Not sure what it is, but a 3MB photo won't be delivered. I think it may be a MB.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Mint with Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    For iPhones you need to have data turned on. There are some Android phones that will toggle data on and off when you send MMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G5+, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG Rebel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, SafeLink
    Feedback Score
    I send pictures back and forth for my boss on his iPhone using email addresses all the time.
    He's more than a bit on the tech-challenged spectrum, which is why I am the one that typically handles these sorts of tasks.
    The simple solutions are frequently the best choices.
    "The differences between how you act when people are watching, and how you act when no one is watching, define who you really are."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    Also, in the case of AT&T, there is a MMS size limitation using the email address. Not sure what it is, but a 3MB photo won't be delivered. I think it may be a MB.
    Yes, if any part of the MMS portal is used there is an attachment size limit. Verizon is 1MB also. There may be a size limitation between email systems, but would be a lot higher.

Feedback Score
    I love you guys. Making me smile. Not the facts & useful information. The other stuff.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Yes, there is a way to send MMS on WiFi. You need to have WiFi Calling activated. Then you can be on airplane mode with WiFi on, it will send MMS or SMS or voice calls.

However this might only work with certain carriers / MVNOs that support WiFi Calling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast