Thread: Ultimate Unlimited plan now has 60GB cap

Feedback Score

Ultimate Unlimited plan now has 60GB cap

I knew unlimited was too good to be true with these scumbags: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/81n32f/straight_talk_ultimate_unlimited_plan_or_get/

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Of course, people on the outside (and probably most of the people who actually work at one of these companies) know what the costs are. Even if you are on a primary carrier, such as ATT directly, and you are using an ATT tower with ATT backbone, who knows how much each additional GB costs when it leaves the ATT networks?

And a company like ST that has to pay the major carrier to resell their coverage?

If you want to really get upset with a company, look at companies like ATT that will sell DSL, in this day and age, for $40/month for 2mb/sec. And they will have a monthly cap on that service too, though probably won't be hit too often at that speed.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I would assume that people using 60GB/month have either cut the cord, and are watching a lot of "TV" on their phones, or are using it as a hotspot to replace cable internet at their location (either none available, or paying that on top of cell phone coverage is too much).

My cable company doesn't have caps on their internet, but I suspect that if I started approaching 40 TB/month they would notice and wonder what is going on?

Feedback Score
    I think 60gb is a reasonable cap, but I don't think they should advertise it as unlimited. Why not sell it as a 60GB plan and then allow customers to pay for extra data. People get suckered with the "unlimited" marketing then they throttle at 10GB.

Feedback Score
    This might work under their "TOTAL WIRELESS" brand.. its a set amount of data with the option to purchase more data in $10 increments.

But people have always thought of straight talk as "unlimited", so here we go in this debate once again.

Tracfone gets theirselves in these messes.

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    I think 60gb is a reasonable cap, but I don't think they should advertise it as unlimited. Why not sell it as a 60GB plan and then allow customers to pay for extra data. People get suckered with the "unlimited" marketing then they throttle at 10GB.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow I’m getting deja vu. This is the same exact situation as 4 years ago with straight talk where they had unlimited with limits and were coy about what those limits were. I remember coming on here and hearing the same arguments about how if you use a ton of data you’re abusing it, unlimited doesn’t mean unlimited speed, etc.

The fact is straight talk was sued and had to pay out big time for false advertising and misleading customers. Yet here they are in the same exact situation doing the same crappy things. They’re going to get sued and they’re going to lose. They’ll be good for a few years then in 2021 they’ll introduce unlimited again that’s limited to 500 GB a month and only 250 Mbps. And we will be on here with our iPhone 12’s, Galaxy S13’s, and Pixel 6’a having the same arguments.

Feedback Score
    I go threw 300GB on cricket whats the difference? I only use data when I am at my uncles because there is no internet there. Whats the difference between ST and cricket?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I would assume that people using 60GB/month have either cut the cord, and are watching a lot of "TV" on their phones, or are using it as a hotspot to replace cable internet at their location (either none available, or paying that on top of cell phone coverage is too much).

My cable company doesn't have caps on their internet, but I suspect that if I started approaching 40 TB/month they would notice and wonder what is going on?
    I stream videos on my phone and I now easily hit 100 GB on my device alone.
    If there are other people in the residence on the same network, then it makes sense that the wifi can just easily run near a TB.

So yeh, it makes sense that if you are using it as your sole internet access then you could run into 60 GB.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John Chambers View Post
    I go threw 300GB on cricket whats the difference? I only use data when I am at my uncles because there is no internet there. Whats the difference between ST and cricket?
    Cricket limits speeds to about 8mb.

Feedback Score
    They should show it in the large print if there is a data cap.

Data cost are going down all the time.

However, ST has to make a deal for what they pay for data and resell it.

I am throttled at 3 GB but last month I used a total of 8 GB so 5 GB over the throttle.

I would not feel sorry for the carriers because they are making a lot of money. My brother is one of those paying $50 for AT&T DSL at a slow speed of 1 mbps which is a ripoff. I told him he should switch to cable. Even the guy who installed the DSL said he had cable Internet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Cricket limits speeds to about 8mb.
    So just because Cricket has limited their speeds to 8 megabits that means I can pretty much use as much as I want because of that limitation why don't Straight Talk do the same way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Straight Talk)
    Feedback Score
    The terms state that they reserve the right to review the customer's usage, once 60Gb is used, to determine whether the Terms of Service have been violated.

I don't consider it a cap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP View Post
    The terms state that they reserve the right to review the customer's usage, once 60Gb is used, to determine whether the Terms of Service have been violated.

I don't consider it a cap.
    So as long as you don't exceed 60 gb does that been they probably will not review you? Meaning tethering will probably not be checked as long as you don't go bonkers?

We travel all the time and some times the RV park Internet is not so good. My phone will tether but I don't want them cutting me off. Right now I have Cricket 20GB grandfathered plan and they seem to be leaving me alone, but I do get close sometimes at the end of the month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huntram View Post
    So as long as you don't exceed 60 gb does that been they probably will not review you? Meaning tethering will probably not be checked as long as you don't go bonkers?

We travel all the time and some times the RV park Internet is not so good. My phone will tether but I don't want them cutting me off. Right now I have Cricket 20GB grandfathered plan and they seem to be leaving me alone, but I do get close sometimes at the end of the month.
    Tethering isn't something they manually check for and it's more likely to be caught on an unlimited plan like this one, as you'll notice st's competition strictly forbid it on unlimited plans and 6-8 gigs of tethering is usually the premium plan.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky, LG Power
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    They must have recently changed it, a few months ago when a friend couldn't get an ISP in a rural area he bought the unlimited straight talk plan and it showed in the app/site he had 2000gb (2TB) worth of data that month. I'll try to go back in our IM message history to find the pic but I'm sure it said 2tb worth of data on that plan.

I've heard lots of uproar over the years with net10 and ST's claims of unlimited, I remember years ago when net10 att byop would supposedly throttle after only 1.5gb data or something of the sort, made me glad to be on ST at the time. These days I'm personally on tracfone however....if I were to get a "monthly" plan it'd probably be total wireless and just buy add-on data cards as needed, I however am mostly on wifi and I'm not really glued to my phone when out and about consuming large amounts of data so it works out.

Way back I remember getting a measly rinky dink $5 check in the mail from tracfone/straight talk for them losing their class action lawsuit over lying about the data (at the time back then I think the limit was 3gb?), I never even bothered cashing it, the fees would have left me with a dollar or two, wasn't worth getting out into long lines in public at the money center at the walmart here....there are frequently unsavory types there...I think that's the politically correct term for crackheads? lol. Anyway I digress lol