Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New York and the borough's

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    247
    Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    New York and the borough's

    Last year and more so this year, I feel tmobile service has been declining. I may see full bars of service but I cannot male a call or use the internet. It happens at the worst time like trying to get GPS directions or in a restaurant trying to stream Netflix so my screaming kids can shut the [email protected]#$ up. I don't know if they are upgrading the area but I can't take much more of this. I'm about to jump to Verizon and I have been a T-Mobile diehard for years. This is not acceptable especially in NY which has a cell phone tower on every block.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    341
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I live in Woodside and work near 48th and 6th. I have no issues with T-Mobile in Queens or Manhattan on a Nexus 6P. I also have an iPhone SE on Verizon. Verizon has faster speeds in Woodside, but much slower in Manhattan. I also have a ZTE Mi-Fi on AT&T, which is by far the slowest of the three. Congestion is something we learn to live with. T-Mobile is far better than the other two IMHO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    If the service is as bad as you describe, I wouldn't wait for T-Mobile to make improvements. Calling and complaining to them usually ends up in being fed a line of BS about "modernization" in your area with some made up date for completion (which never comes to fruition). I would definitely test drive Verizon using their prepaid service first before making any commitments though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    494
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I can't say I experience much slow down and I only usually visit Manhattan every so often. I think once 600 is rolled out, it can help free up some space. Granted, we will all need new phones to take advantage of it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    14,842
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    T-Mobile has thrown everything they've got at NYC. They've got PCS (band-2) converted completely to LTE, AWS (band-4) is running 20x20 LTE with just one detached 5 MHz block dedicated to HSPA. They've got 700 MHz and are working overtime to get 10x10 MHz of 600 up and running. They're also working on adding LAA. The average site spacing is about 500 m apart.

    The problem is that they don't have much usable high-band spectrum. There are two things the NYC customer can do: 1) get a phone with all the bands, bells and whistles possible (e.g. S9), to take advantage of MIMO and CA, particularly band-71 CA or 2) go to a carrier with more high-band spectrum.
    Donald Newcomb

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    482
    Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    0
    The way tmobile talks it seems like they will be buying a lot of high band once it becomes available. They are really pushing for an auction to happen soon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    14,842
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    The way tmobile talks it seems like they will be buying a lot of high band once it becomes available. They are really pushing for an auction to happen soon
    Right. Some time in the future. Not this week or any other time real soon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,123
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile has thrown everything they've got at NYC. They've got PCS (band-2) converted completely to LTE, AWS (band-4) is running 20x20 LTE with just one detached 5 MHz block dedicated to HSPA. They've got 700 MHz and are working overtime to get 10x10 MHz of 600 up and running. They're also working on adding LAA. The average site spacing is about 500 m apart.

    The problem is that they don't have much usable high-band spectrum. There are two things the NYC customer can do: 1) get a phone with all the bands, bells and whistles possible (e.g. S9), to take advantage of MIMO and CA, particularly band-71 CA or 2) go to a carrier with more high-band spectrum.
    What about backhaul? Also the issue might be that there are no pointed macros where the OP is at. I know when I take the 7 train sometimes, LIC is horrible. All the tall buildings is causing the signal to degrade. And if you have signal, band 12 is very slow.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________



    Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,541
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Launch of 600 MHz in NYC proper on 3/6/2018 (WWOR-TV) will not happen earlier than 5/23 due to WRNN-TV not releasing channel 48. http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    229
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The Launch of 600 MHz in NYC proper on 3/6/2018 (WWOR-TV) will not happen earlier than 5/23 due to WRNN-TV not releasing channel 48. http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum
    5/23/18? Or 5/2023?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,389
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'd strongly have to consider Android if I lived in a market like NY.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Similar Threads

  1. Got new 730 and the font on the outer LCD is messed
    By MJRodman in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 02:00 PM
  2. Dealers: Doing upgrades on the new 3yr. and the upgrade coupon.
    By dorian chapman in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 02:10 PM
  3. New GSM and the T39
    By ardjuna in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 11:47 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 04:44 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 11:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks