Thread: New York and the borough's

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

New York and the borough's

Last year and more so this year, I feel tmobile service has been declining. I may see full bars of service but I cannot male a call or use the internet. It happens at the worst time like trying to get GPS directions or in a restaurant trying to stream Netflix so my screaming kids can shut the [email protected]#$ up. I don't know if they are upgrading the area but I can't take much more of this. I'm about to jump to Verizon and I have been a T-Mobile diehard for years. This is not acceptable especially in NY which has a cell phone tower on every block.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in Woodside and work near 48th and 6th. I have no issues with T-Mobile in Queens or Manhattan on a Nexus 6P. I also have an iPhone SE on Verizon. Verizon has faster speeds in Woodside, but much slower in Manhattan. I also have a ZTE Mi-Fi on AT&T, which is by far the slowest of the three. Congestion is something we learn to live with. T-Mobile is far better than the other two IMHO.

Feedback Score
    If the service is as bad as you describe, I wouldn't wait for T-Mobile to make improvements. Calling and complaining to them usually ends up in being fed a line of BS about "modernization" in your area with some made up date for completion (which never comes to fruition). I would definitely test drive Verizon using their prepaid service first before making any commitments though.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can't say I experience much slow down and I only usually visit Manhattan every so often. I think once 600 is rolled out, it can help free up some space. Granted, we will all need new phones to take advantage of it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has thrown everything they've got at NYC. They've got PCS (band-2) converted completely to LTE, AWS (band-4) is running 20x20 LTE with just one detached 5 MHz block dedicated to HSPA. They've got 700 MHz and are working overtime to get 10x10 MHz of 600 up and running. They're also working on adding LAA. The average site spacing is about 500 m apart.

The problem is that they don't have much usable high-band spectrum. There are two things the NYC customer can do: 1) get a phone with all the bands, bells and whistles possible (e.g. S9), to take advantage of MIMO and CA, particularly band-71 CA or 2) go to a carrier with more high-band spectrum.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    The way tmobile talks it seems like they will be buying a lot of high band once it becomes available. They are really pushing for an auction to happen soon

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    The way tmobile talks it seems like they will be buying a lot of high band once it becomes available. They are really pushing for an auction to happen soon
    Right. Some time in the future. Not this week or any other time real soon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile has thrown everything they've got at NYC. They've got PCS (band-2) converted completely to LTE, AWS (band-4) is running 20x20 LTE with just one detached 5 MHz block dedicated to HSPA. They've got 700 MHz and are working overtime to get 10x10 MHz of 600 up and running. They're also working on adding LAA. The average site spacing is about 500 m apart.

The problem is that they don't have much usable high-band spectrum. There are two things the NYC customer can do: 1) get a phone with all the bands, bells and whistles possible (e.g. S9), to take advantage of MIMO and CA, particularly band-71 CA or 2) go to a carrier with more high-band spectrum.
    What about backhaul? Also the issue might be that there are no pointed macros where the OP is at. I know when I take the 7 train sometimes, LIC is horrible. All the tall buildings is causing the signal to degrade. And if you have signal, band 12 is very slow.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Launch of 600 MHz in NYC proper on 3/6/2018 (WWOR-TV) will not happen earlier than 5/23 due to WRNN-TV not releasing channel 48. http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The Launch of 600 MHz in NYC proper on 3/6/2018 (WWOR-TV) will not happen earlier than 5/23 due to WRNN-TV not releasing channel 48. http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum
    5/23/18? Or 5/2023?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I'd strongly have to consider Android if I lived in a market like NY.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple